B.C. man who shot robber wants more gun rights | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

B.C. man who shot robber wants more gun rights

Get everyone jumpy and thinking that guns are the solution and social solutions are abandoned.

Trouble is... You can't mention the "social" or cultural aspects of the violence issue without being labelled a racist/bigot.
'Easier/safer to point at an inanimate object and say it's the root of our problem.

Forgive me if I sound jaded, but for decades in any new proposed firearms control legislation there has never really been anything therein targeting the criminal use of firearms. Just more restrictions on the already licensed/gun owning/sporting folks. The criminal code has remained unchanged.
You want to put an end to gun violence...?
'Ten year mandatory minimum for convictions on using a firearm illegally.
What happened in NZ is certainly a tragedy, but watch... The only people who will be targeted by the gov't are those who haven't done or ever done anything illegal... The violence and terror attacks will continue unabated.

We're all F***'d

do you have actual numbers that back that up?

Any of the mass shooters with legally acquired weapons was a legal gun owner just prior to their crime. So, just for arguments sake, the recent Christchurch shooter was a legal gun owner, so was the Vegas shooter.

I think you missed my point...
I don't think I should have to wear a diaper because someone else might **** their pants...
As far as stats go... they're irrelevant.
For every stat quoted on one side if the argument there's another to counter.
There are countless "stats" that show gun control in and of itself doesn't stop gun violence. Look at a place like Chicago.
'Strictest gun control in the country... gun murder capitol of the universe.
State of Vermont... zero gun control legislation.... Next to no gun crime.

There’s not “countless stats”, there’s an absolute fact that countries with strict gun controls have lower gun crime and lower mass shootings. Everything else is just smoke and mirrors from gun lobbies.

It works there and is expanding to more states every year . It must be working if people want it . I`m sure other countries have CCW and low incident with people that posses them .

It works so well that the US has more gun related deaths than the next several countries combined. Try again.

It works so well that the US has more gun related deaths than the next several countries combined. Try again.

Take a look at who is killing who . It is not the CCW people killing people . The inner cities filled with gangs is why the gun crimes are through the roof . The worst for gun violence are the cities that are gun free zones .

Take a look at who is killing who . It is not the CCW people killing people . The inner cities filled with gangs is why the gun crimes are through the roof . The worst for gun violence are the cities that are gun free zones .

Oh, like Chicago with its gun control centres on the periphery of the state? Only, there aren’t. Have a long hard think again as to why they don’t work.

None of your points hold water. There is one fact that you can not argue against, first world countries with strong gun control laws have less gun related deaths.

Umm, no. It was smuggled from the U.S. then stolen in a break and enter in Saskatoon:

It was stolen during a break in at a gunshot in Saskatoon.
It was first reported in the news to have been smuggled from the US.. but was later corrected to say it was stolen from Sask gun shop.

Any of the mass shooters with legally acquired weapons was a legal gun owner just prior to their crime. So, just for arguments sake, the recent Christchurch shooter was a legal gun owner, so was the Vegas shooter.

big difference between a legal gun owner in the states ( anyone with a pulse) and a CCW permit holder (requires serious background checks)

Oh, like Chicago with its gun control centres on the periphery of the state? Only, there aren’t. Have a long hard think again as to why they don’t work.

None of your points hold water. There is one fact that you can not argue against, first world countries with strong gun control laws have less gun related deaths.

These places are also a lot different in make up of population . There is no way you will clean the US of more then 600 million plus guns . Take a look at places where CCW has been enacted . The crime rate drops .

big difference between a legal gun owner in the states ( anyone with a pulse) and a CCW permit holder (requires serious background checks)

Many states are " shall issue states " . Anyone without a criminal record can get carry permit .

It was stolen during a break in at a gunshot in Saskatoon.
It was first reported in the news to have been smuggled from the US.. but was later corrected to say it was stolen from Sask gun shop.

Where did you get the stolen from a gun shop thing from? In the article it says clearly that the gun was stolen during a break and enter in Saskatoon, and that it came from the U.S. It was gang-acquired according to both the CBC and the CTV articles. At no time was said to be owned by a legal Canadian gun owner much less a gun shop.

Many states are " shall issue states " . Anyone without a criminal record can get carry permit .
shall issue means the state must issue it if the applicant meets all the requirement (background check, finger prints etc) , whats your point?

shall issue means the state must issue it if the applicant meets all the requirement (background check, finger prints etc) , whats your point?

I don`t know whats yours . But It usually means no criminal record and resident of the state .

Where did you get the stolen from a gun shop thing from? In the article it says clearly that the gun was stolen during a break and enter in Saskatoon, and that it came from the U.S. It was gang-acquired according to both the CBC and the CTV articles. At no time was said to be owned by a legal Canadian gun owner much less a gun shop.

"In a redacted copy of the national firearms database released to Global News under access-to-information laws, only one firearm meets those criteria.
It was registered by a private individual in a rural Saskatchewan postal code in June of 2014. It was entered in the database as stolen on July 15, 2016. In the data, 24 other handguns and restricted rifles are entered as stolen on the same day in the same partial postal code. None of the guns were recovered."

Gun shop or gun dealer...

There's more to it than simple gun per person stats. Social programs make a big difference. Here you don't have to rob a bank because your kid needs medical treatment. Education to resolve conflicts instead of gunfight at OK corral. Less overt racism. etc etc

Keep in mind the US gun / citizen average is skewed by collectors and fanatics who own large numbers of guns. I'm not pro gun but don't see a problem with a farmer owning a 22 for gophers, a deer rifle and a shotgun for ducks.

There's more to it than simple gun per person stats. Social programs make a big difference. Here you don't have to rob a bank because your kid needs medical treatment. Education to resolve conflicts instead of gunfight at OK corral. Less overt racism. etc etc

Keep in mind the US gun / citizen average is skewed by collectors and fanatics who own large numbers of guns. I'm not pro gun but don't see a problem with a farmer owning a 22 for gophers, a deer rifle and a shotgun for ducks.

Where did you read about people robbing anyone for money for their kids medical bills ?

Where did you read about the " ok corral " shootings ? Are you saying gangs can sit down and and work out their illegal drug sales territories ?

These places are also a lot different in make up of population . There is no way you will clean the US of more then 600 million plus guns . Take a look at places where CCW has been enacted . The crime rate drops .

Apparently at one time there was no way man would walk on the moon. If something is worth doing and there’s enough will to do it then it can be done. The US gun lobbies, companies and fanatics have no interest in doing anything. New Zealand just banned assault weapons. The UK enacted strict gun controls and so did Japan.

Apparently at one time there was no way man would walk on the moon. If something is worth doing and there’s enough will to do it then it can be done. The US gun lobbies, companies and fanatics have no interest in doing anything. New Zealand just banned assault weapons. The UK enacted strict gun controls and so did Japan.

And how are death by stabbings fairing in jolly ole England now-adays? Dead is dead. If I were to be murdered, I think I'd rather be shot than stabbed, run over, or bombed.
If you love those wonderful British laws, why don't you move back there instead of advocating for us to follow in Britian's foolish footsteps?

You want gun control rebuttals? I'll steal this one from reddit to save me having to find the links. The last two lines in particular are for you J.C.

Controlling guns. I have pages of evidence showing that it always leads to more deaths.
Train your children to protect themselves.
Edit: ask and you shall receive.
This is my collection so far of evidence knocking down many different fallacies and providing evidence that people should spend time on other more important death rates. I tried to give credit to anyone that gave me any form of footwork, and I liked how they worded their arguments most of the time so I just kept their argument in original form for the most part.
This is on mobile app of there are any errors please feel free to point it out so I can fix it.
Gun deaths and why we should care about other deaths first:
Lets look at some numbers. Because not all numbers were available for 2016, I had to use older data in some areas, which I note when needed.
2016: 33,594 gun deaths. 22,938 were suicides and 1,305 were cited as other (accidents, death in war, etc). 14,415 were classified as homicides.
Based on numbers from 2011, 80% of firearm homicides were gang related. That means for 2016, 11,532 homicides were gangs and 2,883 were not. Lastly, for 2016 781 homicides were ruled justified. Justified means the 'victim' that was shot was engaging in a criminal offense.
This means that for people not shooting themselves, not in a gang, and not committing a crime worthy of being shot, the total number of gun deaths was 2,102 for 2016. While that is still an unfortunate number, in a country of 325,700,000 that puts your chances at 0.00065%.
For comparison, over 51,000 Americans die each year from the flu. Over 10,000 die falling out of bed. The most comparable number is 2,167 people die from constipation. So if you think guns are a major problem in the US be careful, because being so full of **** puts you at the same level of risk.
credit goes to u/Orange_Man_Bad with some backup math on my part below:
I assume most of you are not in a gang, and in this math any people killed as collateral damage counts as a non gang related death.
However for those of you in a gang I'll add the numbers.
2,102 non gang related deaths + 11,532 gang related deaths = 13,634 which still makes the chances of getting shot 0.004216032350142% out of 100%. Or 1 out of every 237 people.
You are 6.5X more likely to die of a gun related death once you join a gang.
The chances of catching HIV and it progressing into AIDS is 1 in 78 Americans or 0.012820512820512% out of 100.
So you are 3X more likely to catch AIDS than you are to get shot and die: even if you're in a gang. If you're not in a gang it is almost 20x higher.
A little graphic on how likely to die you are while doing different things.
https://storage.googleapis.com/titl...die-from-different-activities-behaviors-1.png
Gang members are 1 in 237
Non gang members are 1 in 1517
Accidental deaths are about 1 in 8,450
Dying from drugs or alcohol 1 in 34.
Dying from falling 1 in 83.
Dying from heart disease 1 in 4.
Chances of catching HIV and it progressing into AIDS is 1 in 78.
When it comes to Universal Background Checks why should we support anything that can be proven not to work?
Here's two sites to show reasons they don't work with backing evidence:
4 Reasons 'Universal Background Checks' for Gun Buyers Are a Bad Idea
Study By Anti-Gun Researchers Finds Universal Background Checks Do Nothing to Decrease Violence, Suicides - The Truth About Guns
So why in the hell do we want to pass legislation with all that downside that won't even solve the problem ?!
Credit to u/Buelldozer
So you don't have to click:
18 mass shootings with 63 wounded and 47 dead.
u/JohnGalt57 also did a breakdown of the top 20 deadliest mass murders in the USA since 1900 and was surprised to see firearms were used in only 6 of them. Only 1 shooting was in the top 5 and only 2 shootings in the top ten.
9/11 Attacks, 2001
2,997 Dead, 6000+ Injured by crashing planes into buildings
EgyptAir Flight 990, 1999
217 Dead, crashing plane into Ocean (Coast of Massachusetts)
Oklahoma City Bombing, 1995
168 Dead, 680+ injured by bomb
Happy Land Fire, 1990
87 Dead, 6 injured by arson
Las Vegas Shooting, 2017
59 Dead, 422 wounded by firearm
Orlando Night Club Shooting, 2016
50 Dead, 58 Injured by firearm
Bath School Disaster, 1927
45 Dead, 58 injured by bomb
Pacific Air Lines Flight 773 Hijacking, 1964
44 Dead by crashing plane into ground
Pacific Southwest Airlines Flight 1771, 1987
43 Dead by crashing plane into ground
Wall Street Bombing, 1920
38 Dead, 143 injured by bomb
Virginia Tech Shootings, 2007
33 Dead, 17 wounded by gunfire
Upstairs Lounge Attack, 1973
32 Dead, 15 Injured by Arson
Sutherland Springs church shooting, 2017
27 Dead, 20 wounded by firearm
Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting, 2012
28 Dead, 2 wounded by firearm
Gulliver’s Nightclub Fire, 1974
24 Dead, 32 injured by Arson
Luby's massacre, 1991
24 Dead, 27 injured by firearm
Los Angeles Times Bombings, 1910
21 Dead, 100 wounded by bomb
r/Firearms - The 36 Mass Shootings in France since their 1995 Directive 91/477/CEE and Article 581 Decree 95-589 implementations
r/Firearms - The 21 Mass Shootings in UK After the 1997 Firearms Act Amendment
r/Firearms - Updated: 21 Australian Mass shootings I found
Credit to u/JohnGalt57
You take away guns, murderers still kill people. Without guns.
Lawful citizens should be allowed to defend themselves.

You should look at UK crime stats before posting . Take a look under violent crimes are up . If people don`t have guns they use knives .

Crime in England and Wales - Office for National Statistics

have dozens of people ever been murdered by one crazy azzhole with a knife?

maybe engage thinking before posting

Back
Top Bottom