Assistance needed with motorcycle purchase & timing | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Assistance needed with motorcycle purchase & timing

still rocking physical KB
what a rebel

I miss my old Bold
Haha no, that's just a fake/funny signature. I don't think a blackberry can handle these forums lol.

Sent from my BlackBerry Bold 9900

Reactions: J_F
With the CB500X, I am getting $63 a month liability only 1M (which doesn't seem bad) and $90 a month comprehensive - Online quote from rider plus

Great price and bike, if you do look at CB500X's, get a 2016+ model, or if you can a 2019+. 2016 got alot of upgrades, LED lighting being one, and 2019 saw a 19in front wheel, slipper clutch, and TFT display. Its very very good on gas, I could get 420kms+ on a tank, made long distance riding a breeze

I am not getting much difference in terms of $$ on a 2019 500 vs a 2020 one. No old T7 available. Shouldn't I just go with a new bike? I don't plan on changing anytime soon - I am a solo rider (wife has never ridden with me in all these years), plus I am fine with having just the ABS (I hope it is switchable)

What do you think?

PS: I love the look on the CRF250 Rally; saw it on the Honda portal. What a beauty! Alas, it is only a 250

Last edited:
Get the 2020 one then, if a used one with all the farlkes like center stand, hand guards etc... Pops up then grab that. When I picked mine it only had 1700kms, was basically new and owner just wanted more power. In that case I had no problem buying used.

It isn't switchable ABS, though I think some people pop the fuse. Try one in store to get a feel for the comfort and ergonomics, the engine is the same as the CB500 F and R, so if you get any to test ride give it a shot. If you plan on any serious off road, both the T7 and CB500X are close to 450lbs bikes, the CBXs downfall is its ground clearance.

I had it for 2 Years, after getting the T7, although the T7 is amazing, it's not 2-3x as good though costs that much much more. You can get a CBX and have lots of money leftover for a dirt bike, or even a used CRF250 and still have spare change

If you find the bike you want, buy it now and plate and insure it. Insurance is for the year anyways. First plate sticker, you might get a little break depending on when your birthday is, but after it's yearly coverage. There's still riding time left and when it warms up in the spring, you are ready to go ASAP.

I am not getting much difference in terms of $$ on a 2019 500 vs a 2020 one. No old T7 available. Shouldn't I just go with a new bike? I don't plan on changing anytime soon - I am a solo rider (wife has never ridden with me in all these years), plus I am fine with having just the ABS (I hope it is switchable)

What do you think?

PS: I love the look on the CRF250 Rally; saw it on the Honda portal. What a beauty! Alas, it is only a 250

the bikes you're looking at are not typical starter models
so yeah, go new as it's not something you'll likely get bored of and want bigger quickly

doesn't seem to much of a discount on used pricing on the CB500X
3-4 year old bikes for 2k less than new

your backside will hate you if you if try to tour on CRF Rally

Hi all, i am new in this forum, ?
I am going to pick up my bike (Vulcan S) this week, i had same questions (purchase timing) before order the bike.
I also just got my M2 on Tuesday, and just send my insurance confrimation($1400) to dealers for ownership and plate...
my suggestion is I dont want to waste that Graet fall season without motorbike~

Ok, so I have zeroed down my choices to the 500X or the V-Strom. I am sure they are both good and will fit my needs and requirements decently. Will start visiting dealers tomorrow to gauge the comfort and finalize whichever bike feels good :)

What's your inseam? General feeling on the StromTrooper site is the strom is not the best choice as a starter bike. Some have done it. Good bike, I've had 3 over the years but found them a bit top heavy ...I have 30" inseam. They have a sizeable tank so that adds to the top heavy aspect. The Vstrom 650 is a hoot in the twists and can take you cross continent.
The CB500x is fun in the twists and can take you across the continent. I've done it on both and enjoyed the CB500x a bit more as I had a lighter load on and it was more stable at speed. If you are two up the Vstrom has a clear edge and can generally carry more luggage. Sitting on them at a dealer may not tell you much certainly not for comfort tho may tell you how well you can reach the ground.
50 lb lighter counts. especially when you are learning.
Have you taken your course?

What's your inseam? General feeling on the StromTrooper site is the strom is not the best choice as a starter bike. Some have done it. Good bike, I've had 3 over the years but found them a bit top heavy ...I have 30" inseam. They have a sizeable tank so that adds to the top heavy aspect. The Vstrom 650 is a hoot in the twists and can take you cross continent.
The CB500x is fun in the twists and can take you across the continent. I've done it on both and enjoyed the CB500x a bit more as I had a lighter load on and it was more stable at speed. If you are two up the Vstrom has a clear edge and can generally carry more luggage. Sitting on them at a dealer may not tell you much certainly not for comfort tho may tell you how well you can reach the ground.
More stable at speed? The CB500x with 220lbs payload (me and a light pack) doesn't get to 'speed' unless running downhill with a tailwind.

I've seen videos of riders hitting 170KMH -- not the ones I rode -- max I was able to do WOT was 155, just me no bags. My NINJA 250 had a higher top speed, a Vstrom 650 will do that in 4th with 2 gears left.

Not that you can do it where we ride, but a DL650 will run 200 with a 230lb payload and panniers.

The 500f and 500r can do 177 indicated before it bounces off the red line on stock tires. The 500x with the 17" rims probably also has the same gearing but that probably changes when they made the other adv changes in the newer model years.

OP - take Mike's comments on the CB500x front with a large grain of salt. He doesn't own a CB500x..his comments would be like me discussing Ducati :rolleyes: He owns a Vstrom so is a fan boi.
Listen to the people that own and ride the two models and go to the respective forums for each bike for information and real world experience.
StromTrooper and Honda CB500X - Index
A quick search on Vstrom 650 and instability reveals issues, I mostly found it with crosswinds or truck turbulence. I don't think the planted feeling at those speeds with the 2018 CB500x I own is inherent in the design, but rather the Madstad screen and winglets really help. Many Vstrom owners are designing their own winglets tho it's to reduce turbulence around the helmet.
"Speed" for most riders means 130 +/- on highways with trucks and turbulence and you will feel justifiably nervous as a new rider on the slab.

This was an informative article tho dated 2013 Suzuki V-Strom 650 Adventure vs 2013 Honda CB500X Comparison Test
Both bikes have seen improvement over time.

Having tried the CB500x out at Rock the Red in 2013 and been impressed, I followed its success on ADV Forum and this convinced me to pull the trigger in 2018 with the improved model.

There is nearly 1,000 pages on the CB500x here from its inception in 2012 to current.
Certainly a winner for Honda.

Thank you MacDoc! First of all, wonderful photography, I checked out your Travel Photos from your signature.

I am 188cm and just measured my inseam - In between 34-35". And technically, I would'nt be looking at the bike I buy as a starter bike as I have ridden for 10 years previously (until 2016). From the reviews, the best part I like about the 500x is the balanced weight and low centre of gravity which will improve its handling on corners. The concern I have is long distance touring, as I love doing that. The last ride I finished in Dec 2015 was ~4000km from the north to south of my country on a cbr250r, cruising on highways at 7k rpm between 110-120. But like you said, the 500x would have no issues with that too, so I am not concerned. I am also not concerned with seat position and comfortability, as that can be fixed.

I will drop in at dealer today - And I have also booked a test rider - there is a demo Strom at Sturgess motorcycles in Hamilton that I can test ride.

Lastly - How much leeway do I have for negotiation? I have been quoted website prices by the dealer. Moreover, they have run out of VStroms 650 - Except 1 650X adventure. Bring the price to around 13.6k (quote) which is more than I am willing to shell out honestly. I am ok around the 10k mark. Is 10% off the MSRP a reasonable discount to ask for?

And yes, I did finish the course on 13th Sep

Last edited:
I know you're not asking me, OP
but I doubt you're going to get 10% off MSRP
that's asking for a zero margin deal

don't see any mention of Versys 650
another option in your size/price range

may be able to find new-non current deal on a versys
not exactly setting sales records on this bike

Insurance quote I got from Dalton Timmis:

$1 Million Liability + Standard Accident Benefits + Comprehensive (fire, theft, vandalism, flying objects, flood, hail) + Collision/Upset (Full Coverage) + Waiver of Depreciation/Replacement Cost: $1198 (or 12 payments of $101.13)
vs
$1 Million Liability + Standard Accident Benefits + Comprehensive (fire, theft, vandalism, flying objects, flood, hail): $958 (or 12 payments of $80.87)

$13.6k for the Vstrom is crazy, at that price point get the Yamaha T7.

I logged over 20k kms on my CB500X when I had it. Touring was a breeze,I did alot of long rides, including a 2 week trip from here to Virginia. I'm 6ft tall, close to175lbs,I could hit close to 160kp/h on it. Cruising at 120kp/h is no problem, even fully loaded. You can cruise at 140, though it gets tiring. My inseam is 33,I did install Sw motech lowering footpegs to help ergonomics.

I went from an SV650, same engine as the Vstrom to the CB500X, I found the CB500X more refined. The 2019 ones are great value. I did do some off road with the CBX and it was fun, agile, and easy to maneuver. If you throw some TKC80s on there, added with the 19" front wheel of the new models, it would be a blast.

Back
Top Bottom