Anyone weave back and forth before coming to a stop? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Anyone weave back and forth before coming to a stop?

Actually, what reciprocity said about swerving doing nothing to heat tires, applies equally to car tires. To really get the temps up in tires, you need to accelerate hard, and brake hard. Swerving has minimal effect.

I think of it in terms of energy. When you swerve, you're not really adding energy into the tire system. Rather, you're just shifting it around from side to side. But accelerating does add energy, because you twist the throttle to burn more gas. That energy is used to accelerate you and the bike, via friction between the tires and road surface. The waste energy is dissipated as heat. The same occurs when you hit the brakes, as your brake pads use friction to dissipate your kinetic energy. Again, this is lost as heat, which hopefully, goes into your tires.

Actually, what reciprocity said about swerving doing nothing to heat tires, applies equally to car tires. To really get the temps up in tires, you need to accelerate hard, and brake hard. Swerving has minimal effect.

I think of it in terms of energy. When you swerve, you're not really adding energy into the tire system. Rather, you're just shifting it around from side to side. But accelerating does add energy, because you twist the throttle to burn more gas. That energy is used to accelerate you and the bike, via friction between the tires and road surface. The waste energy is dissipated as heat. The same occurs when you hit the brakes, as your brake pads use friction to dissipate your kinetic energy. Again, this is lost as heat, which hopefully, goes into your tires.

That's what my brolly girl stated in her dissertation

GP guys do it for style?

They do it out of superstition, old habits, whatever. I've seen plenty pics of GP guys that wipe when weaving side to side with cold tires. Producing latteral flex doesn't help warm up the tires as well as hard accellartion/braking according to some articles i've read.

Yes.

Motorcycle tires don't work like car tires.

weaving does nothing to generate heat, accel and braking does.

That sounds counter-intuitive, can you elaborate on the difference?

I don't know much about the subject, but I would think that both swerving and braking would cause deformation and slippage which should generate heat? In fact turning can be considered a form of acceleration since there are speed changes along any given axis.

Is there something particular about the tire construction itself?

That sounds counter-intuitive, can you elaborate on the difference?

I don't know much about the subject, but I would think that both swerving and braking would cause deformation and slippage which should generate heat? In fact turning can be considered a form of acceleration since there are speed changes along any given axis.

Is there something particular about the tire construction itself?

If you attended said brolly girl's dissertation, you'd know that this was already covered.

This is pretty much wrong.

Momentum is a vector. It has both a magnitude and a direction. If the direction of a car or bike changes, the direction of the momentum vector changes as well. If there is a change in momentum then energy must have been added to the system.

Turning does work the tires. However, hard braking and accelerating works the tires MUCH harder and is significantly better at putting heat into them.

Last edited:
If you attended said brolly girl's dissertation, you'd know that this was already covered.

Oh yeah nice - that post wasn't up yet when I started posting. Makes sense - you can feel more G's braking than swerving... Maybe the swerving preserves the temp at least so it doesn't drop?

Last edited:
not as a general rule, but if I see a car that I don't think sees me that's looking to turn in front of me I will a little, but I also get really defensive at the same time, just in case they pull out anyway. I treat every intersection with a car like it's enemy territory.

It takes energy to keep a bike from falling down when it's leaned over (as in a turn).

They do it out of superstition, old habits, whatever. I've seen plenty pics of GP guys that wipe when weaving side to side with cold tires.

This would be another inaccurate situation.

EVERY rider at this level would be coming to the grid with their tires at optimum temperature as they would have just come off tire warmers that heat them to peak operating temperature.

No one arrives at the grid on cold tires.

It's a valid safety technique when used properly.

Let's say you're travelling on a four lane road in the curb lane. Up ahead a car is indicating a right hand turn in the same direction you are going. Swerving can make the driver realize that you're there by giving your bike "width" and letting the other driver know that you are a whole lot closer than he thought. ...

Thanks for the fine instructive video! I do this sort of thing a lot, and I am pleased to see vindication.

I had three SMIDSY collisions in Toronto from 1961 to 1965 but I have not had any since that time, and I think that actively roving in my lane has helped me avoid them, during which I have ridden farther than the distance from here to the moon!

If you are thinking of a rude retort to make fun of me, first imagine how much you would value a technique that can assist you to reach 2057, ready and able to ride anywhere you want to. Then think again.

Good luck!

This is pretty much wrong.

Momentum is a vector. It has both a magnitude and a direction. If the direction of a car or bike changes, the direction of the momentum vector changes as well. If there is a change in momentum then energy must have been added to the system.

Turning does work the tires. However, hard braking and accelerating works the tires MUCH harder and is significantly better at putting heat into them.

Ok, I didn't properly convey my point. Yes, I agree, turning/swerving adds energy into the system via you pushing on the handlebars. But that amount of energy you can input into the system via your arms, is much less than what the engine can add via accelerating, or the brakes can take via braking.

I do this only when I'm worried the guy behind me might not notice me during a stop. Also I do it in a controlled manner, not all jerky.

Thanks for the fine instructive video! I do this sort of thing a lot, and I am pleased to see vindication.

I had three SMIDSY collisions in Toronto from 1961 to 1965 but I have not had any since that time, and I think that actively roving in my lane has helped me avoid them, during which I have ridden farther than the distance from here to the moon!...

+1 I hope I have as much success riding safely as you have had.

I do swerve in my lane, usually entering an intersection, but if I am unsure the car behind me does not see me I will also swerve before the intersection on a red light. I also change positions often when stopped at red lights, sometimes in the left track and sometimes in the right track, depending on the road condition. Watch out for those bus knuckles. They can be high and an edge trap.

Why would anyone make fun of you on this forum? Oh yea, because they make fun of nearly anyone. Unfortunately this is how this forum functions.

Don't know if you'll get charged for stunting for that... might not want to risk it.

1/2 hour ago, was coming home from some riding. On Steeles and since it was empty decided to practice some quick swerving at speed. Saw a cop on the left and knew i was getting pulled over, so I stopped and shutoff the engine. Cherries didn't have to come on. He asked me what i was doing, told him practicing emergency swerving, he asked for my insurance and then told me to ride safe.

This is just anecdotal evidence so I'm not sure if it'll hold up over time.

on a side note: Also I have my rear plate angled down and right above the rear hugger (07 cbr600rr) seems pretty far in, thought i was getting some voicing over that...but none so that was cool.

Ok, I didn't properly convey my point. Yes, I agree, turning/swerving adds energy into the system via you pushing on the handlebars. But that amount of energy you can input into the system via your arms, is much less than what the engine can add via accelerating, or the brakes can take via braking.

Your arms are internal, that's not where the energy comes from. All your body does is change the geometry of the system, after that its a combination of gravity and reaction forces from the road. It's the reaction forces from the road that do the work.

Riding back from Port Dover (alone) last night, I found myself intentionally weaving. Personally, I felt much safer doing this and it is a (controlled) practice I will continue to use.

I'm glad I watched that 'SMIDSY' video a few day ago. I do drive a car and 'cagers' seem to take a lot of (unnecessary) bashing. I don't think they're out to get us. Since I started riding a motorcycle, I believe that has made me a better driver. As a rider, I personally believe it is up to me to take whatever (and every) precaution necessary to keep myself safe on the road.

Back
Top Bottom