Anyone into gardening here? | Page 63 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Anyone into gardening here?

So what happens if a neighbour trims the tree, or bush on their side, but also some on your side.

My idoit neighbour did something like this. I have this big bushy "tree". I just noticed the other day 1 of the stocks near the fence was chopped down. It goes straight up near the fence, and it was chopped down on my side. So imgaine the stock/bush trunk running up near the fence going straight up was chopped where it meets the height of the fence.
Well, since they're not going to respect your property, how about a dirt bike rally on their front lawn.

So what happens if a neighbour trims the tree, or bush on their side, but also some on your side.

My idoit neighbour did something like this. I have this big bushy "tree". I just noticed the other day 1 of the stocks near the fence was chopped down. It goes straight up near the fence, and it was chopped down on my side. So imgaine the stock/bush trunk running up near the fence going straight up was chopped where it meets the height of the fence.

Do you get along with them? If not give them a bill for a new tree.

That's the grey area where legally they shouldn't be touching things on your side of the fence but from a neighbour relations perspective, throwing them under the bus for it will likely cause more tension and future issues. I'd have a chat about property lines and consent. Hell, I may be ok with chopping that branch off, just talk to me first and then I can cut it off at the base instead of a weird nub sticking out.
The relationship with the neighbour is done, happened years ago. The gloves are off now.
They are just disrespectful douches, who do this kind of crap, play music constantly, and run their mouths.

On top of this they also planted new cedar trees in between the mature cedars on the front lawn, what appears to be the property line, or maybe my side. I was going to rip them up and toss them, but I will just trim them back to the trunks on my side and let them wither instead.

The relationship with the neighbour is done, happened years ago. The gloves are off now.
They are just disrespectful douches, who do this kind of crap, play music constantly, and run their mouths.

On top of this they also planted new cedar trees in between the mature cedars on the front lawn, what appears to be the property line, or maybe my side. I was going to rip them up and toss them, but I will just trim them back to the trunks on my side and let them wither instead.
Do you have an accurate survey? Just in case a post was in the wrong place years ago.

My positioning of my compost bin is often dictated by my neighbours attitudes. Currently, “I don’t know how to change my hot tub pump timer schedule” neighbour has it.

Neighbour dispute on the scanner last week. Cops attended. Cops advised neghbours never to talk to each other again.

Now, in your case if you don't care about the relationship, call the police non-emergency line and an officer will call you back eventually. Cops won't care about the music but damaging things on your property matters. Figure out what paperwork you need to make future infractions painful for them. Setup cameras. Call the non-emergency line and report infractions and provide evidence. With any luck, cops will start to lay trespass charges and your neighbours may stop infringing. Expect lots of loud music as they will be ****** and lash out. Install lots of cameras.

Neighbour dispute on the scanner last week. Cops attended. Cops advised neghbours never to talk to each other again.

Now, in your case if you don't care about the relationship, call the police non-emergency line and an officer will call you back eventually. Cops won't care about the music but damaging things on your property matters. Figure out what paperwork you need to make future infractions painful for them. Setup cameras. Call the non-emergency line and report infractions and provide evidence. With any luck, cops will start to lay trespass charges and your neighbours may stop infringing. Expect lots of loud music as they will be ****** and lash out. Install lots of cameras.

Loud music and repeated noise means fines usually from bylaw if they are doing their jobs properly. Just have to keep complaining. Once they establish that it’s repeating and preventing the lawful enjoyment of your property it’s fine upon fine. Money usually makes people pay attention to proper behaviour. Our neighbours broken noisy air conditioner resulted in numerous fines until they fixed it and put it on a timer so it didn’t go off after 11pm.

Loud music and repeated noise means fines usually from bylaw if they are doing their jobs properly. Just have to keep complaining. Once they establish that it’s repeating and preventing the lawful enjoyment of your property it’s fine upon fine. Money usually makes people pay attention to proper behaviour. Our neighbours broken noisy air conditioner resulted in numerous fines until they fixed it and put it on a timer so it didn’t go off after 11pm.
Yes, noise is a by-law issue and police will want nothing to do with it. I would be surprised if you ever got a toronto cop to show up for noise. Trespassing/property damage are in police scope.

Yes this is the tricky part, by-laws are great an all but having them enforced and acted on is another story.

Toronto changed this by-law for noise, and actually I think made it worse. You use to only be able to play music until 11 pm at night. Now you can play music 24 hours a day, but at certain levels. It's dumb. I think this neighbour knows this as well, because the music is loud but not that loud. It's not only the loudness, but basically it's perfectly clear, I have no recourse to distance myself from the music because where our 2 properties connect our houses are on opposite sides so this shared space is where my backyard and theirs meets. Anyhow I've tried the bylaw approach, because this same neighbour also has a loud AC unit. I've had a bylaw officer out several times to investigate it, and well it's just below the threshold of the limit, so nothing can be done. But the laws don't go far enough. Because it's not just the sound that is the issue, it's badly installed, meaning when it's running it's causing this humming sound because either it wobbles, or and because it's sitting on the ground, causing this low fequency hum, and again the by law doesn't account for this because they don't monitor this range. Even my own AC unit next to my house is quieter then theirs.

The only long term plan is like @jc100 said is to keep filing complaints and keep a record of it and eventually maybe this will help.

Yes this is the tricky part, by-laws are great an all but having them enforced and acted on is another story.

Toronto changed this by-law for noise, and actually I think made it worse. You use to only be able to play music until 11 pm at night. Now you can play music 24 hours a day, but at certain levels. It's dumb. I think this neighbour knows this as well, because the music is loud but not that loud. It's not only the loudness, but basically it's perfectly clear, I have no recourse to distance myself from the music because where our 2 properties connect our houses are on opposite sides so this shared space is where my backyard and theirs meets. Anyhow I've tried the bylaw approach, because this same neighbour also has a loud AC unit. I've had a bylaw officer out several times to investigate it, and well it's just below the threshold of the limit, so nothing can be done. But the laws don't go far enough. Because it's not just the sound that is the issue, it's badly installed, meaning when it's running it's causing this humming sound because either it wobbles, or and because it's sitting on the ground, causing this low fequency hum, and again the by law doesn't account for this because they don't monitor this range. Even my own AC unit next to my house is quieter then theirs.

The only long term plan is like @jc100 said is to keep filing complaints and keep a record of it and eventually maybe this will help.
1689865109545.png

I have accidentally left my lawnmower idling when a neighbour thinks their noise isn’t actually impacting me. I trust in an educational response to antisocial activity. Eventually they realize that the noise goes away when theirs goes away.

I think it’s not just the level, it’s the frequency. At a certain frequency the noise penetrates more and you “feel” it as well as hearing it. You should be able to show that the noise prevents your “enjoyment of property” which is the key phrase when it comes to this kind of bylaw enforcement.

I have accidentally left my lawnmower idling when a neighbour thinks their noise isn’t actually impacting me. I trust in an educational response to antisocial activity. Eventually they realize that the noise goes away when theirs goes away.
LOL! I did the same thing when they had a get together just took my time mowing the lawn with my smoky gas mower.

I guess the golden rule is well and truly dead for most of you...
Neighbour disputes are the worst. People should do everything in their power to avoid them. It never ends well. It can get bad enough that you can't even sell and move as the neighbour sabotages every viewing. I've only heard of one case of the courts forcing the ahole to sell and move. The more you fight back (even through legal avenues), the worse the neighbours behaviour will get. Sadly, some people are just inconsiderate aholes.

I think it’s not just the level, it’s the frequency. At a certain frequency the noise penetrates more and you “feel” it as well as hearing it. You should be able to show that the noise prevents your “enjoyment of property” which is the key phrase when it comes to this kind of bylaw enforcement.
I totally agree.

Toronto has really dialed in the bylaw for noise, by measuring it, and types of sources. It use to be if you had a complaint the officer would come out, and make a decision, done. Now they come do a reading if it measures outside the the law, they do something. If not, then nothing, and if it fits within the type of sound. Meaning the AC is consider stationary sound, so it's covered in it's own section of the law, you can't use other sections, even if it impacts your enjoyment and living. And they only measure 1 part of the sound spectrum, the typical A range. The C range which creates the low rumble is not considered. It's dumb.

Toronto is actually reviewing the noise by law. I've signed up to be a part of the review, or at least see what will be considered.

I totally agree.

Toronto has really dialed in the bylaw for noise, by measuring it, and types of sources. It use to be if you had a complaint the officer would come out, and make a decision, done. Now they come do a reading if it measures outside the the law, they do something. If not, then nothing, and if it fits within the type of sound. Meaning the AC is consider stationary sound, so it's covered in it's own section of the law, you can't use other sections, even if it impacts your enjoyment and living. And they only measure 1 part of the sound spectrum, the typical A range. The C range which creates the low rumble is not considered. It's dumb.

Toronto is actually reviewing the noise by law. I've signed up to be a part of the review, or at least see what will be considered.
"A" weighting does include all audible frequencies. Lower frequencies are weighted more heavily in C than A. If they wanted to use C, the number would need to be different so you still may not be happy. For example, Toronto requires 50 dBA but if they wanted C weighted it may be 70 dBC. You can't keep the same number and apply different weighting or everything fails. If you have a 100% fail rate for typical equipment, that is not a useful by-law (and probably also one that could not stand up in court).

The amplified music section has dBA and dBC limits (C is 15 higher than A).

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom