Anyone into gardening here? | Page 60 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Anyone into gardening here?

Thanks, Sunflowers.
I've stopped growing sunflowers and corn as racoons like them and just stomp over the whole place. The good thing is that they hate hot pepper powder and seeds. Hopefully that works for you. Cinnamon works well too, but my wife killed me for using it up. Cayenne pepper powder is way cheaper 😁

We used to grow sunflowers. They would get about 8ft tall and the squirrels would wait for the flower heads to appear….then gnaw off the entire thing. That year I wanted to mine the flower beds. We don’t grow sunflowers or sweet corn (same thing, they would wait then steal the corn) anymore.
That made me laugh. Glad to share the misery. F'ers would know when it was just time. I remember we had a Halloween display with hay stack and the dried purple corn, a few days later all the corn was gone and stalks strewn across the driveway and the neighbours yard.

I've stopped growing sunflowers and corn as racoons like them and just stomp over the whole place. The good thing is that they hate hot pepper powder and seeds. Hopefully that works for you. Cinnamon works well too, but my wife killed me for using it up. Cayenne pepper powder is way cheaper 😁
We used to grow sunflowers. They would get about 8ft tall and the squirrels would wait for the flower heads to appear….then gnaw off the entire thing. That year I wanted to mine the flower beds. We don’t grow sunflowers or sweet corn (same thing, they would wait then steal the corn) anymore.
Thanks guys, I have no time (or interest) to grow anything else. Sunflowers just seem like a happy nice plant. I'll try out these ideas.
I think the racoons are also a problem with them. I saw one on my house camera.

Thanks guys, I have no time (or interest) to grow anything else. Sunflowers just seem like a happy nice plant. I'll try out these ideas.
I think the racoons are also a problem with them. I saw one on my house camera.
A sunflower and a trebuchet don't look a whole lot different if you are focused on the business end. Just sayin. Relocating the raccoon hundreds of meters into the ravine may convince it to harass other gardens.

yPpmgg6.jpg

A little heavy handed with sunflower seeds this year….only cause the bunnies kept eating them the last couple years……

….will need to thin them out at some point

Here is another question for you.
My potted plants when it rains fill with water, but some of them don't drain out.
The ones which drain have some cracks in them (going to replace them)
I though about drilling a hole(s) in the other ones.
Good or bad idea?

Probably safe to do.
A lot of pots do have drainage holes at the pottom from factory

My potted plants when it rains fill with water, but some of them don't drain out.
Good or bad idea?
I drill a couple 1/4" holes in the bottom of mine usually

Good or bad idea?

If I have any I put broken clay pot pieces in the bottom of pots that have drilled holes in if they didn’t already have them. Nearly all plants need decent drainage.

Why would a pot not have a drain hole? Is it for indoor use only? I have several kicking around, some have a drain hole and some dont.

Why would a pot not have a drain hole? Is it for indoor use only? I have several kicking around, some have a drain hole and some dont.
My guess is $0.01 cheaper to manufacture. Keeping plants alive in pots without drain holes is much much harder. I want holes in everything I am leaving a plant in.

Sometimes you need them not to drain to ruin a wooden floor or table if water overflows the saucer or base. If you water carefully you can keep them alive without the drainage hole. Most house plants die from over watering. If you lay gravel at the bottom and sand then proper plant soil you will be okay.
If you have a plant for a long time eventually the roots will clog the hole anyway.

Good or bad idea?
Pots should have drainage, most potted plants font want wet feet.

TIPS:
Drill one 1/2" hole every 4sq" in the bottom of the pot.
Water heavy every 2 days. daily. If you can't, put a 1l margarine tub ,(or something close) inside the planter. It will hold 1-2 days moisture.

Back
Top Bottom