Anyone into gardening here? | Page 46 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Anyone into gardening here?

Thumbs up to all pictures.

Lots planned here and I hope it goes well. Good luck to you all.

Storing a number of garden and flower plants in the garage during a cold night.
wp_20200522_19_37_54_pro2s-jpg.134501

Yup.... things are crowded.

May we all great gardens and/or flowers this year.

Last edited:
I really like trilliums. I have some white and some red looking really nice now. It's now been about 5 years since this front garden was planted and the spring show is pretty much where I was hoping it would get to. In the half of the garden closer to the house, it's almost all native woodland plants. In the summer the whole front changes to native pollinator plants - get's a little crazy, but I like it.
IMG_3226-X5.jpg
Where did you get the trilliums? Town arborist gave me the stink eye when he saw them in my garden, I brought them home from my sisters cottage, apparently you are not allowed to move them in Ontario.

You're right - not supposed to dig them up from crown land. I think provincial parks as well and not sure exactly where else. But what I'm not sure about is if the below bill ever passed into law or if it's just a bill that never actually went anywhere.

My Mom lives up near Awenda Park and they grow all over her property. She has a ridiculously large native plant garden and over the years digs up plants in her garden when there was various types of construction and I take them since she doesn't need any more.

Same with Bloodroot, Jack in Pulpit, Lady's Slippers, Hepatica, and much more.

Trilliums can also be bought and sold at native plant nurseries. I'm pretty sure I have seen them at Humber Nurseries before. If you have never been before, Claremont Native Plants has a pretty decent selection of locally grown plants and might have them for sale.

Where did you get the trilliums? Town arborist gave me the stink eye when he saw them in my garden, I brought them home from my sisters cottage, apparently you are not allowed to move them in Ontario.
They came up the Spring after we moved in. We have some in the woods at the cottage, but haven't disturbed them.

For the new cannabis growers putting out clones now is a poor idea as the days are not long enough yet the plants will start to transition into flowering then as the days get longer they will slowly switch back to vegetative growth bad for the plant and a waste of time.
Growing from seed or using autoflower seeds would be different tho.
Wait till the days are 17 or more hours of daylight to put out clones.

^ it all depends on the strain and genetic disposition of the plant. I've had great success with maintaining vegetative growth for many varieties while putting them out before June 1st.
A number of varieties won't even go into flower until August which is 6 weeks after peak daylight.

If you don't know the genetic traits - then yes, better safe than sorry for sure.

no idea what I got, but I put the seeds on A wet paper towel, watered and let sit for 2 days, little tails grew, took them and planted into container, this is now the 2nd day of them being outside, spray bottle watering each day, and in indirect/direct sunlight, brought indoors in the evening, let’s see what happens

interesting note, there were 20 of the little buggers with tails now only 19 have sprouted.

1966AE8F-74D2-409C-B442-5C8D821300B1.jpeg

second time trying this, last year had 3 nice plants, only problem, after all the work, couldn’t get a buzz if if you smoked the entire jar full all at once, no idea what happened

Last edited:
second time trying this, last year had 3 nice plants, only problem, after all the work, couldn’t get a buzz if if you smoked the entire jar full all at once, no idea what happened

Good pruning will help promote stronger flower growth. Also buy a loupe so you can confirm when the flower has reached peak potency. I've never had any luck growing much more than brick weed without using growth + flower specific nutrients.

Bag seeds are also hit or miss. If you're at the stage where keeping a plant alive isn't an issue buying quality feminized seeds can ensure you have good genetics to work with + don't end up with a pile of hemp.

Source: erm heard it from a friend.

Also has anyone else noticed that it's nearly impossible to find any decent 4" vege pots / prop trays (and they are at least $1+ than last spring)? Glad I decided to try and go seed start only this year for most of my vege + herbs.

Lowe's was cleared out, Canadian tire had flowers only, and home depot only had catgrass left yesterday. I'm guessing victory gardens are making a comeback with Covid.

Good pruning will help promote stronger flower growth. Also buy a loupe so you can confirm when the flower has reached peak potency. I've never had any luck growing much more than brick weed without using growth + flower specific nutrients.

Bag seeds are also hit or miss. If you're at the stage where keeping a plant alive isn't an issue buying quality feminized seeds can ensure you have good genetics to work with + don't end up with a pile of hemp.

Source: erm heard it from a friend.
I use chicken **** from my bro’s farm. Mine hit 9’ and last year I ended up with 1600grams from 4 girls. No nutes thru the season, just sun and water. They are weeds, get them started and let Mother Nature do the work.

Still learning, let’s see what this year brings, I didn’t do much either, sun and water, maybe the chicken poop would have helped, but they did hit almost 6 feet in height, just no oomph....

not sure if I didn’t do something right, but I didn’t think it was so hard, All one has to do is plant, water, sun, dry, separate, and enjoy, but something went wrong,,,lol

Trying to get a small veggie/berry garden going in the backyard
I've got on one row strawberry, blueberry (im gonna get a trellis)
The other row has tomato, bell peppers and kale

In the from i split my hostas what feels like 10fold but they look like i havent touched them, they are resilient f***ers. Planted a row of white impatients and around the shrub i planted a bunch of blue libelias.

I still have to remove some day lillies in have in one corner in the backyard to replace with a fern... a decent little amount of work left. I want to make that veggie/berry bed a raised bed (i did make it higher than the rest) just gotta get the material at home depot...i felt like costco was enough of an adventure yesterday lol

Trying to get a small veggie/berry garden going in the backyard
I've got on one row strawberry, blueberry (im gonna get a trellis)
The other row has tomato, bell peppers and kale

In the from i split my hostas what feels like 10fold but they look like i havent touched them, they are resilient f***ers. Planted a row of white impatients and around the shrub i planted a bunch of blue libelias.

I still have to remove some day lillies in have in one corner in the backyard to replace with a fern... a decent little amount of work left. I want to make that veggie/berry bed a raised bed (i did make it higher than the rest) just gotta get the material at home depot...i felt like costco was enough of an adventure yesterday lol

I like hostas. If I have a problem spot in the garden where nothing grows well....the hostas go in. I have some growing in full sun and they love it even though they are shade plants. I liked them so much that one year I went out and bought about 6 varieties. Unfortunately I bought young small plants and didn’t realize one variety had gigantic leaves. I have a small crowding issues with it now but it looks fantastic so I won’t move it.

One of my old landscape construction teachers was the president of the Hosta Society - he had 163 varieties of hostas!
He took us to his house on the way home from a field trip and it was quite the crazy garden with an amazing waterfall he built himself.
I have 1 hosta - dug them all up and gave them away. My Mom used to have around 60 varieties across 200 plants, but the deer decimated most of them two years in a row and she sold many and replaced them with natives.

Last edited:
Also has anyone else noticed that it's nearly impossible to find any decent 4" vege pots / prop trays (and they are at least $1+ than last spring)? Glad I decided to try and go seed start only this year for most of my vege + herbs.

Lowe's was cleared out, Canadian tire had flowers only, and home depot only had catgrass left yesterday. I'm guessing victory gardens are making a comeback with Covid.
My dad picked up my veggies for me.
He said last year a tray of 16 tomatoes was ~$13. This year it was $20 for 12.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

I bought all my plants from Urban Harvest and a small amount from Canadian Tire. Urban Harvest is not cheap, but their plants are great and it's a local business I'm happy to support.

I like hostas. If I have a problem spot in the garden where nothing grows well....the hostas go in. I have some growing in full sun and they love it even though they are shade plants. I liked them so much that one year I went out and bought about 6 varieties. Unfortunately I bought young small plants and didn’t realize one variety had gigantic leaves. I have a small crowding issues with it now but it looks fantastic so I won’t move it.
There are varieties that are more of the sun-type... the lighter the leaf the more sun it can take from what i understand.

Does anyone have experience with low pressure drip irrigation? I'm finding even with mulch my ground level plot is needing a lot of manual watering. It is directly below a 2' raised bed. The house spigot is pretty far away and running a full pressure system is too much work. The plot I would be supplying water to is 10' x 8' roughly so no crazy long runs.

there is an old 55g plastic barrel sitting in the shed. I was thinking of throwing it on top of the 2' raised bed to feed the ground level plot. Installing a 1/4 shutoff at the bottom of the barrel, and then using 1/4 irrigation hose to Tee off into (4) seperate low-flow soaker hose (about 8' per run).

Is it worth setting something like this up or am I better off dragging the watering can around?

Does anyone have experience with low pressure drip irrigation? I'm finding even with mulch my ground level plot is needing a lot of manual watering. It is directly below a 2' raised bed. The house spigot is pretty far away and running a full pressure system is too much work. The plot I would be supplying water to is 10' x 8' roughly so no crazy long runs.

there is an old 55g plastic barrel sitting in the shed. I was thinking of throwing it on top of the 2' raised bed to feed the ground level plot. Installing a 1/4 shutoff at the bottom of the barrel, and then using 1/4 irrigation hose to Tee off into (4) seperate low-flow soaker hose (about 8' per run).

Is it worth setting something like this up or am I better off dragging the watering can around?

I had great success with soaker hoses in another property. Really easy to set up. I put them on a timer so never missed a watering. If you want to go fancy you can get the ones that skip if rain is forecast.

I've also used soaker hoses many times to establish new plantings or maintain hard to otherwise irrigate areas and they are easy and cheap.

If your soil is also drying out quickly it could be because of the soil texture - may be too sandy. You can do a simple soil sedimentation test using a 500ml bottle, some water, some dish soap and a few handfuls of soil - look it up if you need to see how to do it and use a soil textural triangle to see your basic soil type.

Without knowing your soil, a general guideline is if your soil is too well draining, then add organic matter - if your soil doesn't drain well enough, then add organic matter!

Since we have a lot of gardeners around here. What's the consensus of using PT wood for raised garden beds? We have a lot of scrap left over from the deck build and are considering using it for a small raised garden. I know cedar is nicer/better...but is there an issue with using PT wood instead?

Back
Top Bottom