Anyone into gardening here? | Page 71 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Anyone into gardening here?

Just finished taking down a plum that had become diseased. Trimmed up 75’ of cedar hedge that’s succumbing to aggressive pruning my neighbor did on their side.

Need help with the hedge. It’s planted on the tree line, about 16’ tall and has a spread of 6’ (radius). The trunk is on the property line, neighbour scalped it back to the trunk on their side 5 years ago, since then the bottom 6’ of foliage on my side had died.

I’d like to cut it down to 8’, but nit sure if the lower part will ever fill back in.

Anyone revived a damaged cedar hedge?
Just a thought but PGR's/ ceder trees and seasonal timing might be it.

I thought my winter hardy cactus had died. It looked pretty sorry after the winter as all the paddles fell off. It’s alive though, new growth on it and it’s growing fast.

Daffodils and tulips are done... put in the marigolds to add some colour with the alliums.
Whats the correct approach for daffodils? I have tons that have finished. Tie them off? Clips stems and leave leaves? Do nothing?

Gardening isn't my thing. I aim for not worst in the neighbourhood

Whats the correct approach for daffodils? I have tons that have finished. Tie them off? Clips stems and leave leaves? Do nothing?

Tying them off is the old school approach to allowing the full leaves to enjoy photosynthesis. Nothing wrong with that, but it's the most time consunming.

I like to pinch jutst the spent flower stems a couple inches above the ground, so the pinched end is buried in the mass of leaves. Then let the leaves naturally yellow out. When they are yellowed out, then I would cut them at around 2-3" above the ground and that's it.

Clip stems, let the foliage get a bit of sun to store some in the bulbs and once they started fading/wilting, cut em down

Back
Top Bottom