anyone hired a personal trainer before? | GTAMotorcycle.com

anyone hired a personal trainer before?

motoride777

hi so... im about 6 ft tall 170 lbs. athletic but not really that muscular. i thought about joining a gym like goodlife to get more jacked up but... i worry that i won't have the motivation by myself to workout regularly.

anyone hired a personal training before? and for how long and how much $ it cost you? did you get good results? i wanna be lean and jacked like a male model.

lol. thanks!

Read Arnold's encyclopedia or http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/exercise1.htm

Personal trainers at gyms will usually be some guys on juice, who would look nowhere near as fit if they weren't on the juice and thus no one would ask them for training advice. If you want a proper trainer get someone with a degree in kinesiology not a juicer

I was a personal trainer at goodlife. There are different levels of trainers. 1 through 5. Usually the trainers there are level 2, with a minimum of 18 sessions for $1000. They'll usually try to sell you a years worth of training. 3 times a week. Around $8000/year. Works out to around $52 a session. 3 times a week won't get you to where you wanna be. You need to come in on your own time with workout and to do your cardio, not to mention dieting which is a huge part. Good luck on your journey.

You're talking about Rockwood dude, lol Most of these commercial gyms the personal trainers are not juiced up and many look like turd. The problem with a lot of personal trainers is that they basically read some book, memorize it, and than take a test and viola, they are certified personal trainers. Doesn't actually mean they know what they are doing. I'm sure there is some good ones out there but yes, you could find most of the same information in books and online.

You're talking about Rockwood dude, lol Most of these commercial gyms the personal trainers are not juiced up and many look like turd. The problem with a lot of personal trainers is that they basically read some book, memorize it, and than take a test and viola, they are certified personal trainers. Doesn't actually mean they know what they are doing. I'm sure there is some good ones out there but yes, you could find most of the same information in books and online.
I second this. While at goodlife I see a lot of trainers who don't seem to even work out. I don't consider myself a gym rat but I see a few & I was in better shape, lol

You want a trainer that's also a nutritionist, like my good friend. He's a personal trainer + nutritionist, always ripped and does work on the side for cheaper then gym prices. Like previously stated, its 50% training and 50% what you eat. Or just look at the trainers (pick the one that looks like you want to look like) and ask what they use to look like to see if they started where your at now..

I've done it a couple times, mostly to learn how to use the equipment at the gym properly and not not get hurt. Injury can set you back weeks or months. I think its a good idea, from motivation and eating advice, and a schedule to help you get where you want.
I'm no expert but i think genetics plays a part as well, some people just seem to get there easier than others.
I'd hire one, maybe for a few sessions, maybe longer if it looks like it's working well.

I've seen some bad trainers and heard them give horrible advice before. So just like the cops that must mean they're all bad :rolleyes:

In the beginning I would just to learn how to work out properly or how to safely use equipment especially if you've never done it before. You may find a few months in that you're good on your own or you've maybe found a friend to work out with and don't necessarily need a trainer anymore.

Of course but even at other gyms you will notice that trend: guy is a newbie and goes on juice for 3 months, becomes trainer after. No book no test required at all!

I need this juice. 3 months and I'm a monster? Ive been doing something wrong all these years. Sign me up! :rolleyes:

IMO personal trainers are a big waste of money...especially the ones at your local goodlife or whatever gym you frequent. If you need advice there are plenty of people in the gym with 'bro tips'. Take in info and do research..dont waste your money.

IMO personal trainers are a big waste of money...especially the ones at your local goodlife or whatever gym you frequent. If you need advice there are plenty of people in the gym with 'bro tips'. Take in info and do research..dont waste your money.

+1 with the amount of information available, trainers IMHO are obsolete, unless you're so unmotivated that you need someone screaming in your face to push you to get in those last few reps. I've gone through the gyms over the years wasting my money, trainers and on and on.... I finally decided to stop wasting my money on gyms and trainers and workout at home. I invested in a bench and some dumbells, did a sh*t tonne of reading on workouts and diet and am in the best shape ive ever been in my entire life!!

Knowledge is key, educate yourself, it's FREE, and you'll know as much or more than any $80 per/hr trainer.

I second this. While at goodlife I see a lot of trainers who don't seem to even work out. I don't consider myself a gym rat but I see a few & I was in better shape, lol

awwww. that's the old Rocker.... don't let D find you.

the PTs at goodlife are all about the$$$ they are scammers as forced by Goodlfe they have to contribute to the bottom line so that is their motivation.

Last edited:
I've done it as well.

I've learned what not to like about trainers. They do help you with motivation but only if it's a good trainer. I had four trainers in two years because they generally don't make enough money to stick with it, so you just get a good, self-motivated and knowledgable trainer who knows it... and poof, 4-6 months later they're gone. So you want to pick someone who's a career type with a good customer base. Also as others have said, level 1/2 trainers know pretty much nothing other than "stay away from those exercises that aren't 100% safe because that's what the course told me' meaning that they will put you on exercises which are relatively "safe" and not challenging for your body, and they won't push you to failure at all. My last trainer, I would have quit if I hadn't already paid for the time.

Here's my advice... go to the gym 4 days a week and establish a hard pattern that everyone knows. So they can say "gerrbear's at the gym until 6:30 so don't bother them" and you have the same routine every day that you can count on. Do a warmup of 10-20 minutes, then hit a section of your body hard - I do shoulders/tris, back/bis, legs/abs, chest/tris in that order and leave a slush day in every week where I will either rest or do 40 minutes of cardio + HITT. I do everything with intensity whether it's cardio or resistance training... not a believer in hour long cardio workouts at 40% of my capacity. Do everything hard and adjust your calorie intake rather than spending all that time burning out and bored doing halfassed cardio. Most important: get your nutrition sorted out and on point for you and your goals. It's at least as important as the training and probably more important.

Also, concentrate on compound movements. The most important ones: deadlift, squat, pull-ups, dips, rows, bench, pull-downs, standing press. I usually don't even do much arm work because I push the compound movements to or past failure (using declines or drop sets) and tire out all the supporting muscles as well, which are often arms. Isolation exercises are a waste of time if you're not a competitive bodybuilder... for example, a heavy set of back exercises should have your arms pumped and tired... do a few standing curls at the end of a back day if you feel up to it, and call it done.

And I will also echo what others have pointed out, the trainers who are on juice have no idea how to make your body improve unless you're also on juice. They have routines and body stresses that will not work for a natural body at all. Like 5x10 full failure rear squats followed by 5x10 full failure front squats, followed by 5x10 full failure deadlifts, etc. etc. that will SNAP YOUR @#$% UP if you try it without the juice. But they don't know any better.

Good luck.

Last edited:
I need this juice. 3 months and I'm a monster? Ive been doing something wrong all these years. Sign me up! :rolleyes:

If you're not happy with your physique after "all these years" of training, then you're doing something wrong for sure...

Didn't say I wasn't. I was poking fun at the myth of taking steroids for 3 months makes you look like Arnold. Anyone who actually believes that should have their head examined. :rolleyes:

Its better to find a motivated workout buddy & eating right. Working out to gain muscle mass is about discipline - that's the hardest portion. (yes some ppl have crazy genetics too!)

Didn't say I wasn't. I was poking fun at the myth of taking steroids for 3 months makes you look like Arnold. Anyone who actually believes that should have their head examined. :rolleyes:

you should get your head examined cause I never mentioned anything about looking like Arnold in 3 months of juicing

Back
Top Bottom