Anyone here a cyclist? | Page 19 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Anyone here a cyclist?

I am with GreyGhost on this, most cyclists will use a real bike mounted to a turbo trainer. That is what I do. There are a lot of smart turbo trainers these days that have the online training sessions etc. Better option IMO than a spinning set-up, but to each their own.
+1 on that. Spin bike is best if you won't ride outside at all.

Otherwise you use your pre-existing bike on a trainer. Could even use a fluid or magnetic resistance trainer that's super cheap. Or you can go super fancy and get a direct drive trainer...a lot of them are still cheaper than a good spin bike and provide a much better "road feel"

Cool, glad to hear guys. Not a pushbike guy at all (last bike I bought was from Cdn Tire 30 yrs ago :). But love/loved spinning back in the days and looking to get back into it during this damn lock down. Had no idea, that you guys are not part of the spinning people.

Guys, can any enthusiasts recommend me a good spinning bike? Been doing some research and want to know if I can cheap out on the $500 ones or if it really needs to be $1500+ like some of the top end ones. I would use it 5 times a day if that makes a diff.
The concept2 bike looks good and if you use their ski erg or rowing erg they all use the same electronics a nice feature.

I prefer a dedicated spin bike rather than wearing out the pricey drive train on my regular bikes.

What are they? Do you think the platform will help or is that just for style?

Depends on the shoe and the cleat interface.

Most high end road shoes only work with road pedals. They generally have a shorter spindle to ball of foot distance (good) and less aft play (good).

I just decided to be a cyclist again. I blew the dust off my old Heckler Santa Cruz this morning. After putting her up on the stand I ended up ordering new hydraulic brakes ($180), chain-rings ($150), cassette ($60) and chain ($35) -- holy F&^ have bicycle parts become expensive!.

holy F&^ have bicycle parts become expensive!.

With inflation, not really.

Do you deal with George on Main St.? He's an old friend of mine.

Cool, glad to hear guys. Not a pushbike guy at all (last bike I bought was from Cdn Tire 30 yrs ago :). But love/loved spinning back in the days and looking to get back into it during this damn lock down. Had no idea, that you guys are not part of the spinning people.

When you could go to the gym, I enjoyed the spin class and have looked around at some spin equipment myself. Every time I look at something, I end up taking my bike out for a ride and forget about a spin bike.

I might consider one in the winter but, not sure what to look for myself.

What I like about the spin bikes at GoodLife is the ability to crank up and down the resistance as called for during a “ride”.

I can’t justify a purchase at this time of year when you can get out and ride. Even when it’s windy, I stick to tree lined trails etc. Rain? No different than sweating. Lol. At least that’s what I tell myself before heading out dry and warm.

Good luck with your research and input from the rest of the gang.

Cheers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just decided to be a cyclist again. I blew the dust off my old Heckler Santa Cruz this morning. After putting her up on the stand I ended up ordering new hydraulic brakes ($180), chain-rings ($150), cassette ($60) and chain ($35) -- holy F&^ have bicycle parts become expensive!.
You got off easy. My mtb crank uses a rare bolt circle diameter for some unknown reason. Chainrings are ~$400 if you can find them. I have a set of blackspires to put on the next time I rebuild the drivetrain. If/when they need replaced, it will probably get a new crank.

What I like about the spin bikes at GoodLife is the ability to crank up and down the resistance as called for during a “ride”.
Modern smart trainers do that. They can even connect to video games so you can go on virtual rides with elevation, turns and road texture simulated. Slightly less boring than the old game of riding through mud in your basement questioning your choices in life.

Depends on the shoe and the cleat interface.

Most high end road shoes only work with road pedals. They generally have a shorter spindle to ball of foot distance (good) and less aft play (good).

I'm using a combination of Richey MTN bike pedals with cyclocross shoes on my road bike, I dont like walking like a duck, or falling on my ass on stairs when i stop

You got off easy. My mtb crank uses a rare bolt circle diameter for some unknown reason. Chainrings are ~$400 if you can find them. I have a set of blackspires to put on the next time I rebuild the drivetrain. If/when they need replaced, it will probably get a new crank.
Ya, I had RaceFace cranks with 32/22 RaceFace rings on the old girl -- with a few teeth missing. I switched the crankset and rings over to a more modest Shimano setup -- at my age the toughest terrain she's going to see if a community riding trail.
Owns the Cyclepath
I know who you are talking about, don't know him personally. My buddy down the street, Vern, works there sometimes. He's my bicyclopedia.

What is this mystery crank? Unless it's a Magic I don't see why it would be unique.

Xtr 960 102 mm bcd instead of 104 like everything else. No idea why they did that.

You made it sound like it was some boutique crank you can't get rings for any more.

Xtr 960 102 mm bcd instead of 104 like everything else. No idea why they did that..
Blackspire rings on mine 32T 96BCD and 22T 58BCD (destroyed). Replacements for the 2 rings alone were $140. The carrier was cracked so I just replaced it with a standard Shimano crank & ring set.
rf1.jpgrf3.jpg

Back
Top Bottom