Anyone here a cyclist? | Page 20 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Anyone here a cyclist?

Alright... what i've done in the past (40km bike segment in a tri) is mix maple syrup, fancy salt with electrolytes and water. I might bite the bullet and buy some gels..they're not THAT expensive when bought in bulk and we might be stopping mid-way as well for light food/coffee.

I'm wondering whether or not to bring my camelback, i have a 1L one which would mean i wouldnt need refills but...it would get HOT being on my back. lol

was it because you wanted to finish as fast as possible or because there was nothing along the way?
if i had a gravel bike that sounds like something "fun"

Very good points, the lights might be something i might not have thought of but my schedule will probably be
I know last year i could do 40km in 1h30 minutes (after a swim) without being well trained, just had some commuting mileage/volume under my belt, Ride for heart (75km, hilly) took me under 3 hours last year, and about 3 hours the year before, and i waited for my wife a few times last year, so im thinking 4 hours for a 100km is reasonable. Hopefully i start around 7 am and finish around noon. I'm supposed to meet up with a friend about a quarter of the way in.
I dont have time to get fat-adapted in less than 2 months so i'll probably carb load a few days before and try to keep the carbs coming during the ride with chews and/or gels.
I'm really trying to see whether i bring my backpack (and put all my stuff in like a lock, gels, 1-liter bladder, etc) or just wear the camelback vest and use my jersey pockets.
Not a big cyclist (just for fun with my family). But to keep my water cold longer I wrap the bladder itself in one of those cheap foil "emergency blankets", helps isolate the cold water from my warm body and it works. I also fill the bladder with water and ice.

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk

I can fix it. Let me know if you want to get rid of it.

Not a big cyclist (just for fun with my family). But to keep my water cold longer I wrap the bladder itself in one of those cheap foil "emergency blankets", helps isolate the cold water from my warm body and it works. I also fill the bladder with water and ice.

Great idea thanks... maybe i could see if i can find a thin sheet of styrofoam for cheap. Although emergency blankets can be useful too .... id have to look at the pricing on one of those

We were talking about kids bikes a while back (and weight). Friend just bought her kid a Nakamura Juvy (they are on sale at Sport Chek---$149) and dropped it off for assembly.... (I was not consulted re-purchase). The only major parts that were aluminum were the rims, everything is steel even the v-brake arms, threadless stem and the Shimano rear derailleur. Tips the scale at 29 lbs 1 ounce!

One pedal's bearings were so poorly adjusted that the bearing were on the edge of falling out. The one piece crank/bottom bracket was cranked super tight and needed serious adjustment. Same with the headset bearing, cranked on tight. Other than that most things were pretty well set from the factory.
Juvy2.jpgJuvy5small.jpgJuvy4.jpg

We were talking about kids bikes a while back (and weight). Friend just bought her kid a Nakamura Juvy (they are on sale at Sport Chek---$149) and dropped it off for assembly.... (I was not consulted re-purchase). The only major parts that were aluminum were the rims, everything is steel even the v-brake arms, threadless stem and the Shimano rear derailleur. Tips the scale at 29 lbs 1 ounce!

One pedal's bearings were so poorly adjusted that the bearing were on the edge of falling out. The one piece crank/bottom bracket was cranked super tight and needed serious adjustment. Same with the headset bearing, cranked on tight. Other than that most things were pretty well set from the factory.
View attachment 42934View attachment 42935View attachment 42936
Thumbs up for your work, thumbs down for lead sleds. I fixed up my brothers 30+ year old venture (made in canada) 16" bike. It didnt take much to get it going and it is lighter than modern bikes. His kid has it for the summer now.

Great idea thanks... maybe i could see if i can find a thin sheet of styrofoam for cheap. Although emergency blankets can be useful too .... id have to look at the pricing on one of those
I just used one of the cheap ones from the camping aisle at Walmart or Canadian tire. Was under $10.

Thumbs up for your work, thumbs down for lead sleds. I fixed up my brothers 30+ year old venture (made in canada) 16" bike. It didnt take much to get it going and it is lighter than modern bikes. His kid has it for the summer now.

Doesn't matter the weight, a kid is always super excited when they get a shiny new bike (brand new, not just new to them...).

The downside for me... it rained yesterday and I worked on and delivered this tonight...I still have not tried out my shiny new pedals! Weekend is looking good.

What are people using for a bike repair stand, where are they manufactured, and what are they worth? I'm getting too old for this ****!

What are people using for a bike repair stand, where are they manufactured, and what are they worth? I'm getting too old for this ****!

I have the last gen Park Home Mechanic and the Feedback Sports Sport Mechanic. Both have their plus and minus points. Overall I like the Feedback better but I tend to only use it outside as it is also much more portable. Way back in posts 226 and 228 I have some more details...

Yes, using a stand is way better than not, even a lower cost one like my Park.

I have the last gen Park Home Mechanic and the Feedback Sports Sport Mechanic. Both have their plus and minus points. Overall I like the Feedback better but I tend to only use it outside as it is also much more portable. Way back in posts 226 and 228 I have some more details...

Yes, using a stand is way better than not, even a lower cost one like my Park.
Ok, cool. I saw a Feedback and a Park at MEC about an hour ago, now the Feedbacks must be sold out.
The Park is $425, which doesn't sound lower cost. On MEC it's made in the U.S. and the Feedback in Taiwan.
Kunstadt has an EVO RS-1, but I've never heard of that brand.

Ok, cool. I saw a Feedback and a Park at MEC about an hour ago, now the Feedbacks must be sold out.
The Park is $425, which doesn't sound lower cost. On MEC it's made in the U.S. and the Feedback in Taiwan.
Kunstadt has an EVO RS-1, but I've never heard of that brand.

That Park now on MEC is the "delux....." Mine is the old version of the PCS-9 Home Mechanic (I paid around $120 new from Brownes last year on clearance), the new version (PCS-9.2) is $183 from them today, looks to be better but I have not used the new version.

MEC seems to have dropped their work stand selection way down recently (maybe reducing inventory re-COVID???). There used to be a lot of different ones.

The Feedback Feedback Sports Sport Mechanic Work Stand | MEC looks like they recently discontinued selling it. It was under $200, don't remember the exact price.

I will take better function and value over county of origin all day long. Made in USA is also made in a foreign country anyways.

i use the garage floor.
For the kids bikes, I've been using the back of my wifes vehicle. She has a big rubber mat to protect the floor and it is a more comfortable height. I really should buy a stand at some point but so far my scottish roots are winning over my back health.

i use the garage floor.

I used to do most of the repairs with the bike upside down on the floor. Once you have used a stand you will wonder why you did it that way for so long.... On the Interwebs there are also a bunch of people that have made them out of wood for next to nothing if the cost (technically the cost verses how much it will get used, not saying anyone is cheap) is a problem. Even just servicing your kids' and spouse's bikes yourself IMO it pays for itself in reduced back pain and aggravation.

A friend of mine just made a clamp that attaches to a wooden post in his basement... does the job perfectly. Just not portable...

Back
Top Bottom