Anyone here a cyclist? | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Anyone here a cyclist?

No, on the bicycle. Grabbed too much front brake...used to pulling in the MC brake...lol
Left turner hesitated then didn't. If they had just gone and made the left (they had right of way as they were first to the intersection), I could have just kept up my speed and rode past behind them. They hesitated and then went anyways...so I had to grab a hand full of brake. Unfortunately the front brake was a bit stronger.

No, on the bicycle. Grabbed too much front brake...used to pulling in the MC brake...lol
Left turner hesitated then didn't. If they had just gone and made the left (they had right of way as they were first to the intersection), I could have just kept up my speed and rode past behind them. They hesitated and then went anyways...so I had to grab a hand full of brake. Unfortunately the front brake was a bit stronger.
Oh damn, glad you didn't bail and just pulled a sick endo haha. Ride safe!

Here is a before and after on my latest Steel is Real project....View attachment 40327View attachment 40327
Sweet! Who did the paint? Looks spot on from first glance.

Seems like a nice comfy riding position with the bullhorns tilted up. In my bullhorn days I'd slam the stem with -10-15 degrees down and do a super flat and aggro bar position.

Some tanwalls would look sweet on that too. Specialized makes a really nice race tire but its $$$ and lasts about 1000km before they need to be replaced. I'm sure someone else makes other good options too.

Sweet! Who did the paint? Looks spot on from first glance.

Seems like a nice comfy riding position with the bullhorns tilted up. In my bullhorn days I'd slam the stem with -10-15 degrees down and do a super flat and aggro bar position.

Some tanwalls would look sweet on that too. Specialized makes a really nice race tire but its $$$ and lasts about 1000km before they need to be replaced. I'm sure someone else makes other good options too.

I did everything, all mechanical, bearings, rust repair, paint etc. I used Belton Molotow spray paint on this bike, I found Rivera Light was a very close Celeste match (given "Celeste" is a moving target). Bike weighs just over 23 lbs and is super smooth and very comfortable. Single speed gear is 52:19.

re-used the frame, fork, cranks (modified), brake callipers and chain (shortened).
New tires, cables, bottom bracket (to move the front chain line to a track line), brake levers, headset, handlebars, stem, track rear wheel (added spacers to fit the 12 speed dropouts--decided to not cold set the frame), seat post, seat.
Kijiji special front wheel, just looks nicer than the old one....

I did chop and flop the orginal drop bars but I was not happy with them so I bought actual bull horns.

Last edited:
I took my bike out for a spin and realized what horrible shape I'm in. I'll have to start taking it out regularly. It's nothing special, just an old MEC model, that they don't seem to make any longer.

You should stop riding through those "unsigned" intersections, where you don't have to stop, then.

I've been dealing with a groin strain slowing me down for a while this spring but I'm doing well over 100 km per week on the mountain bike now. I did 37 km yesterday. I'm in some of the best shape in a long time this early in the year.

p6pb9992239.jpg

Didn't remember how long it had taken me to get used to the 24-25km commute each way last year. Seems like i've reached a milestone this season, i did my full roundtrip commute yesterday, at a harder effort that usual and my resting heart rate is still below 60 (which to me means i'm not strained).

Last year i had to break it up in 25km one day, rest day, 25km back that next day... whereas this time, maybe my legs are a little shot but the heart can finally take it 2 days in a row! woohoo

It's nice to see the adaptation happen so much faster this year. Kinda validates doing n+1 last xmas with a proper road bike.

In the meantime i'll keep putting on 95% of the commute miles on the hybrid... do you guys suggest going with smaller tires? I'm running the stock 36c
Or just wait till they're worn out and then switch. They're meaty enough that flats seem to be a non-issue but i know that i suffer on the speeds because of it

Attachments

• 20190404_184258.jpg
    20190404_184258.jpg
    724.3 KB · Views: 13
Didn't remember how long it had taken me to get used to the 24-25km commute each way last year. Seems like i've reached a milestone this season, i did my full roundtrip commute yesterday, at a harder effort that usual and my resting heart rate is still below 60 (which to me means i'm not strained).

Last year i had to break it up in 25km one day, rest day, 25km back that next day... whereas this time, maybe my legs are a little shot but the heart can finally take it 2 days in a row! woohoo

It's nice to see the adaptation happen so much faster this year. Kinda validates doing n+1 last xmas with a proper road bike.

In the meantime i'll keep putting on 95% of the commute miles on the hybrid... do you guys suggest going with smaller tires? I'm running the stock 36c
Or just wait till they're worn out and then switch. They're meaty enough that flats seem to be a non-issue but i know that i suffer on the speeds because of it
The old logic of skinny tires=faster is changing. Even proper fast road bikes now are putting on tires wider than in the past. Personally, I wouldn't throw out 36c but when I bought the next set I would probably get 28c (I liked gatorskins for downtown, a little heavy but almost invincible). Just watch the tracks, 28c can drop into them and you are screwed (you may have the same problem with 36, I've never tried them).

The old logic of skinny tires=faster is changing. Even proper fast road bikes now are putting on tires wider than in the past. Personally, I wouldn't throw out 36c but when I bought the next set I would probably get 28c (I liked gatorskins for downtown, a little heavy but almost invincible). Just watch the tracks, 28c can drop into them and you are screwed (you may have the same problem with 36, I've never tried them).
I hear you, i want to go down in tire size for my commuter, was also thinking 28c. I've heard a lot about gatorskins so i might give it a try, also heard there's the "marathon" that's pretty durable too. I do love the convenience of having the wider tires so when a family is taking up the whole trail or a dog is going all over the place i can just get on grass/dirt/mud without worrying about bailing at all.

On the other end I want to go up in size on my road bike that's currently on 23c, it can't take more that 25c so that's what i'll be getting. Although i've been pleasantly surprised at how good carbon is for absorbing vibrations & bumps. I just want to limit pinch flats as much as possible.

Although, overall it's kinda refreshing to see how much cheaper those tires are after having to have your moto tire changed for about $250 when a set costs just under $100 and you can mount them yourself

Although, overall it's kinda refreshing to see how much cheaper those tires are after having to have your moto tire changed for about $250 when a set costs just under $100 and you can mount them yourself
Be thankful you don't have a fat bike. Tire prices on those are full retard ($150 to 350 per tire). I thought about picking one up this winter but decided on a trainer instead as it was crazy expensive to buy a spare set of studded tires for the fat bike.

Be thankful you don't have a fat bike. Tire prices on those are full retard ($150 to 350 per tire). I thought about picking one up this winter but decided on a trainer instead as it was crazy expensive to buy a spare set of studded tires for the fat bike.
I love the trainer, it takes out SO MUCH out of the equation of riding and getting fitter. And my wife uses it too lol.

Takes me 5 minutes to get ready and hop on the trainer with some netflix to keep me entertained.

Where as with fat bike, i'd have to buy more cold gear, some conditions/ trails might not be manageable, etc etc
Trainer is cheaper too (unless you go with those $2k trainers that can replicate cobblestone feel lol)

I hear you, i want to go down in tire size for my commuter, was also thinking 28c. I've heard a lot about gatorskins so i might give it a try, also heard there's the "marathon" that's pretty durable too. I do love the convenience of having the wider tires so when a family is taking up the whole trail or a dog is going all over the place i can just get on grass/dirt/mud without worrying about bailing at all.

On the other end I want to go up in size on my road bike that's currently on 23c, it can't take more that 25c so that's what i'll be getting. Although i've been pleasantly surprised at how good carbon is for absorbing vibrations & bumps. I just want to limit pinch flats as much as possible.

I put a set of Schwalbe Marathon Pluses on my hybrid and love them. They’re a bit heavy, but they’ve held up pretty nicely. I went down from 42C to 32C at the same time. I thought about 28c, but was a bit worried that it would be too drastic of a change.

How many watts are you saving there mister?

Back
Top Bottom