Anyone here a cyclist? | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Anyone here a cyclist?

Never had an issue with cops while riding 2-3 up in a group (most pelotons will be 2up from my experience, with a third "invisible" lane amongst the group to create a rotation of riders taking turns in the wind). I'm sure (and I hope) that if people were riding like complete idiots though that cops would chime in and act accordingly.

Re: the myriad of laws that changed for cyclists, I'm glad they started cracking down with high fines on people with no lights. That **** terrifies me to no end, and will probably save dozens of lives annually.

Never had an issue with cops while riding 2-3 up in a group (most pelotons will be 2up from my experience, with a third "invisible" lane amongst the group to create a rotation of riders taking turns in the wind). I'm sure (and I hope) that if people were riding like complete idiots though that cops would chime in and act accordingly.

Re: the myriad of laws that changed for cyclists, I'm glad they started cracking down with high fines on people with no lights. That **** terrifies me to no end, and will probably save dozens of lives annually.

As long as they learn to aim them down, and not straight into oncoming traffic's eyes.
You're not riding at 90 kph, so you don't need it aimed way down the road.

Back to the topic at hand....

Yes I ride, I currently have a Bianchi Reparto Corse Mountian Bike, an 80s Bianchi (Japanese cromo frame) fully restored and converted into a fixie, and a Jeunet (French) 60s 10 speed (mechanically restored, old school simplex DT and MAFAC "Racer" brakes, full restore later this year) as my riders. I am also currently restoring a 1969 Schwinn Speedster three-speed--weighs a good 50 lbs! Not sure what I will do with the Schwinn afterwards...

As you might guess I have a bit of a hobby restoring bicycles. Mostly bikes for kids--for them older donated decent 24 or 26er MTBs (ie no CCM, Supercycle...) that I fully rebuild and restore and then donate to a kid in need. Sometimes I keep some of the adult stuff for myself...

Attachments

• Reparto.jpg
    Reparto.jpg
    159.7 KB · Views: 14
I think there should be some changes to the law that would make cycling safer for all concerned.

1) Licence cyclists who want to use the road. Every road users except cyclists must pass a simple written test to show they understand the rules fo the road before they get access, accept an M1 or G1, maybe have a bicycle specific B1
2) Plate bikes. This does 2 things, first a nominal annual 'sticker' fee could accelerate funding for cycling infrastructure. The concept exists for motorists who pay an annual plate fee to support roads, and tolls that are collected by plate. Another benefit would be law enforcement, it's pretty hard to track down a bike that is behaving badly i a congested city -- plate ID would help.
3) More cyclist education and enforcement.

Solid plan. You should consider politics.

Back to the topic at hand....

Yes I ride, I currently have a Bianchi Reparto Corse Mountian Bike, an 80s Bianchi (Japanese cromo frame) fully restored and converted into a fixie, and a Jeunet (French) 60s 10 speed (mechanically restored, old school simplex DT and MAFAC "Racer" brakes, full restore later this year) as my riders. I am also currently restoring a 1969 Schwinn Speedster three-speed--weighs a good 50 lbs! Not sure what I will do with the Schwinn afterwards...

As you might guess I have a bit of a hobby restoring bicycles. Mostly bikes for kids--for them older donated decent 24 or 26er MTBs (ie no CCM, Supercycle...) that I fully rebuild and restore and then donate to a kid in need. Sometimes I keep some of the adult stuff for myself...
Very cool!

Always been in the "Steel is Real" camp, mostly out of financial reasons. But I always loved doing rides where there was a guy on an old road bike just crushing everyone in the group. Vintage Bianchi are up there for me - NJS was a phase as well, god damn those are clean builds.

Heard those French bikes are such a pain in the ass to fix/find parts for. Correct me if I am wrong, apparently they had weird non-standard crank sizes and fastening mechanisms or something? Vaguely remember something about awkward BB sizes as well? Oh, and cant forget the wheel size. Wasn't 700c, nor 27 1/4, wasn't it something else?

Good call on the no CCM etc. Those are death traps (being a kid who once upon a time tried doing jumps on those things... not smart). I guess at walking speeds if your pewter (or equally improper material) cranks bust its no biggy, otherwise nope nope nope.

Good call on the no CCM etc. Those are death traps (being a kid who once upon a time tried doing jumps on those things... not smart). I guess at walking speeds if your pewter (or equally improper material) cranks bust its no biggy, otherwise nope nope nope.
Haha, I used to have an early 90's raleigh hybrid. Over time, the fork slowly bent (making the wheelbase longer and stem lower). I finally replaced the fork when it was bent enough that the front brakes could no longer touch the rim. Not that the brakes mattered much, sidepull (centrepull?) brakes on chrome steel rims are slightly more useless than dragging your feet.

My understanding is that bikes may occupy any part of the lane when required, but they must turn out to the right as far as possible to allow traffic to pass. This may have changed with all the new bike laws.

Some cyclists liberally interpret the first part.
You are correct, bicycles must turn out to the right when being overtaken. If they can't turn out, they are supposed to stop.

Bicycles overtaken
(6) Every person on a bicycle or motor assisted bicycle who is overtaken by a vehicle or equestrian travelling at a greater speed shall turn out to the right and allow the vehicle or equestrian to pass and the vehicle or equestrian overtaking shall turn out to the left so far as may be necessary to avoid a collision. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 148 (6).

Driver unable to turn out is to stop
(7) Where one vehicle is met or overtaken by another, if by reason of the weight of the load on either of the vehicles so meeting or on the vehicle so overtaken the driver finds it impracticable to turn out, he or she shall immediately stop, and, if necessary for the safety of the other vehicle and if required so to do, he or she shall assist the person in charge thereof to pass without damage. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 148 (7).

Bikes? Yeah, I've got a few.

47791684051_ca60e04301_b.jpg

You are correct, bicycles must turn out to the right when being overtaken. If they can't turn out, they are supposed to stop.

Bicycles overtaken
(6) Every person on a bicycle or motor assisted bicycle who is overtaken by a vehicle or equestrian travelling at a greater speed shall turn out to the right and allow the vehicle or equestrian to pass and the vehicle or equestrian overtaking shall turn out to the left so far as may be necessary to avoid a collision. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 148 (6).

Driver unable to turn out is to stop
(7) Where one vehicle is met or overtaken by another, if by reason of the weight of the load on either of the vehicles so meeting or on the vehicle so overtaken the driver finds it impracticable to turn out, he or she shall immediately stop, and, if necessary for the safety of the other vehicle and if required so to do, he or she shall assist the person in charge thereof to pass without damage. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 148 (7).
I
Bikes? Yeah, I've got a few.

47791684051_ca60e04301_b.jpg
Your garage is larger than my entire apartment! I want to leave the city now thank you very much hahaha.

Hell of a setup, very very cool!

I still mountainbike (Specialized Stumpy Epic Elite) that I ride mostly as a cardio changeup to ease my knees of running in the Ganny.
I also had a full-on road race bike that I bought from a sponsored Devinci rider but I didn't find I used it enough to justify having a $10k bike sitting on a hook so I sold it.

Meanwhile in Australia:
Wr6JJCA.jpg

Very cool!

Always been in the "Steel is Real" camp, mostly out of financial reasons. But I always loved doing rides where there was a guy on an old road bike just crushing everyone in the group. Vintage Bianchi are up there for me - NJS was a phase as well, god damn those are clean builds.

Heard those French bikes are such a pain in the ass to fix/find parts for. Correct me if I am wrong, apparently they had weird non-standard crank sizes and fastening mechanisms or something? Vaguely remember something about awkward BB sizes as well? Oh, and cant forget the wheel size. Wasn't 700c, nor 27 1/4, wasn't it something else?

Yes the French bikes are a pain, everything is actually metric (not ISO...). Best bet is to rebuild all the factory parts instead of swapping parts. Almost every part is different but substitutions for some are possible (shims can be used in a pinch) and there are still some companies making replacements (sealed BB for example). It was a NA market bike so wheels were 27s (also not super highend), otherwise they are usually 700c. I did add SPDs, I retapped the cranks from 14mm to 9/16 to do so. Here it is with all the mechanicals done (factory cable housings, wil; be upgraded), I have since chopped and flopped the bars to be more TT style. This off season I will fully restore the frame (strip, repaint (same colours), and I have replacement exact decals). Note the old school "quick release", wing nuts....

Jeuent.jpg

Here's a question for cyclists: how come the rules of the roads don't apply to you guys ? I've rarely ever seen a cyclist stop at a stop sign. Some don't even look before crossing, especially in the GTA. Downtown is a different story

Here's a question for cyclists: how come the rules of the roads don't apply to you guys ? I've rarely ever seen a cyclist stop at a stop sign. Some don't even look before crossing, especially in the GTA. Downtown is a different story

Stopping and starting again requires a ton of energy. You don't notice much when you have a motor, but when it is your legs you really notice. You should have good situational awareness while riding with unobstructed vision and auditory cues as to surrounding traffic (you may think they don't look, but they wouldn't last long if that was actually the case). Obviously, running lights or stop signs is still not legal, I'm just giving you some of the justification. There is never enough justification for the riders that force others to avoid them while they ride like d-bags.

Some specific lights should be set to allow bikes through (for instance T-intersections where the bike path runs through and there is no possibility of a car/bike interaction unless someone crosses between the bike and traffic lanes). Afaik, this isn't done. I'm not sure if this is due to legal reasons or potential sign confusion. Obviously the bikes should yield to pedestrians, but a yield sign accomplishes that without stopping the bikes.

Honestly, at stop signs, it depends. If the person is on an empty street alone, and at least slows downs, (gettin in "lighter gear" and resume regular speed once stop sign is passed) I don't see a problem with it. This is probably equivalent to most cars' rolling stops that we see all the time.

I know it's not legal but if there's no one, it's not causing any accidents or endangering anyone. . In the end it's also a matter of common sense.

If there's another car, i stop, put my foot down, and wait for car to go, or to signal me to go (which tends to happen often actually!). But i make it a point to put my foot down to show my intent.

Traffic lights, there's no arguing or excuse in my book. I stop. Or i slow down considerably before i get to the stop line and start pedaling backwards to not have to get off bike and/or unclip if that's what i'm wearing. I find it frustrating when say on Queens quay, there's specific signals for cyclists and people don't respect them. Although i usually end up catching up to them.

Went for my first bike ride of the season today on my commute to work. Almost got left turned into by a car :)

Thankfully I saw that coming a mile away and wasn’t in danger.

Good training for when I get on my MC lol...

Back
Top Bottom