Anyone here a cyclist? | Page 5 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Anyone here a cyclist?

Aero helmets sure look ridiculous but they’re one of the cheapest/easiest ways to gain free time in a ride. Don’t forget to shave those legs!

I’ve done duathlons in the past and I’ve always been very competitive in the bike split. I’m going to try some ITTs this year. I have a Giant Propel which is about as slippery as a road bike can get. Giant makes aero bar clamps for it so I’ll get those and see how the geometry works for riding on the aero bars.

He can average over 1000w, losing a few to the beard doesnt matter.

Marco was nowhere near Sagan’s output. Didn’t stop him from rockin the goatee.

Then again, he was quoted as saying “l like starting a climb at the back. I get to see the suffering on everyone’s faces when I pass them”. Drag doesn’t matter at the bottom of the hill.

Coming in late here; I've got two bicycles; an 2015 Trek DS (Dual Sport) and a 2018 Kona NRB DL. The Trek is for mixed road / trail and is on MTB tires. The Kona is a Gravel bike and is awesome for road when you're 260lbs of ....something. It's on 47mm rubber so my butt is very comfy.

I'm at Leslie and York Mills, so we ride the trail NW of the NY Hospital up to Steeles regularly. We're also off to do the 25km Manulife Ride for Heart on Sunday (assuming we don't wreck ourselves on Sat on our Yamaha TTR230/TTR110 in the Ganaraska).

The pic isn't from my bike, but it's the same year.

Attachments

• 2018 KONA Rove NRB DL.jpg
    2018 KONA Rove NRB DL.jpg
    887.2 KB · Views: 16
Didn't remember how long it had taken me to get used to the 24-25km commute each way last year. Seems like i've reached a milestone this season, i did my full roundtrip commute yesterday, at a harder effort that usual and my resting heart rate is still below 60 (which to me means i'm not strained).
Resting heart rate of 60??? My HR isnt even 60 when I am sitting down and not riding lol. Do you have a heart the size of sea biscuits?

Remember being on a particularly hard training ride when I was about 16. During an effort I looked at my monitor and my HR was pushing 215. Needless to say I immediately got dropped and lay in a field to rest so my heart wouldn't explode.

Resting heart rate of 60??? My HR isnt even 60 when I am sitting down and not riding lol. Do you have a heart the size of sea biscuits?

Remember being on a particularly hard training ride when I was about 16. During an effort I looked at my monitor and my HR was pushing 215. Needless to say I immediately got dropped and lay in a field to rest so my heart wouldn't explode.
To me 60+ rhr indicates whether i'm
a) in bad shape overall
b) not rested enough from a big effort

If i'm rested and the fitness is getting back up, i'm in the 50s
The highest i've seen my heart go in the recent efforts (doing an FTP ramp test) was 192bpm. Felt like dying after that.

Obviously from one person to another heart rate varies immensely.

I have a CCM commuter and it's been great. I been putting 30-40k on it for years commuting, sometimes with a bunch of tools in the saddlebags. I went through a few racks and a few bottom brackets. I went in to it with a dremel to get clearance to put schwalbe cx pro 700x30. Nice tires for winter, ****** Toronto roads and I take them on trails everyday.

356cdc791dfb3ccd905ff9fd23ad1835.jpg

Sent from my DROID Turbo using Tapatalk

You’re referring to a 20 second sprint.....
Yes that's right. Cause 4hrs at 1000w + doesn't make any type of sense.

Even Wiggins' 1hr TT record isn't even close...in the 400w range right?

So i think he was right in saying that losing a watt or 2 over the long haul to his beard drag, when he can avg that kind of power, doesn't matter as much.

Yes that's right. Cause 4hrs at 1000w + doesn't make any type of sense.

Even Wiggins' 1hr TT record isn't even close...in the 400w range right?

So i think he was right in saying that losing a watt or 2 over the long haul to his beard drag, when he can avg that kind of power, doesn't matter as much.

Aerodynamic drag force is a cubic function. It would matter a lot more to a world class cyclist than it would to me. If anything your argument is totally backwards?

If it requires an extra 2W for Peter Sagan to rock a beard at 50kph then it’s less than 1W for me at 40kph?

I tried to find some power figures for the Tour Prologue my Google-Fu was weak today. I couldn’t find anything.... but I figure they’re in the 400-500W range. I’d shave if I was in the Prologue!

I used to get excited about my cambio rino steel is real and all that but the bike is twitchy, downright scarry. While the CCM is a bit heavier the CCM is stiffer and faster overall. Also way more stable. Like I said great commuter.

Now, while I like commuting on road bikes I love MTB. I been doing some killer riding mostly at Albion, Palgrave and Jefferson forrest. Hate Kelso. I been reading an orbea occam for many years. For a carbon bike took it took a lot of hard riding including lots of jumps at Jefferson. I am thinking to upgrade to a giant trance advanced 1. The orbea is a bit too cx for my riding style lately.
3b1e725c1a9a8c7e7c17c76d261ed21b.jpg
3d02bace772048560dbb4f865623598f.jpg

Sent from my DROID Turbo using Tapatalk

I did another 35 km yesterday on the MTB. Today I was on the treadmill early this morning for an hour routine, then 17 km this eve on the MTB in just over an hour (a mix of sidewalk and single track). I can 'eat' here compared to others and 'be eaten', as always
wink4.gif
. I've had bad years and great years on the bike... even recently so I don't judge at all. It's great to share experience and let's hear more
thumb_up.gif

For me it's a struggle, but always worth the effort... self reinforcing the more you ride too. Always try to get out... and enjoy when you have a great year doing that. Keep the chin up and cheers.
smile.gif
. We're still early in the year
rotate.gif

Cheers

Last edited:
I mostly ride my road bike now - Orbea Avant put the new R7000 105 on it last fall. I have a downhill and XC bike too.

I ride a lot on the Finch Hydro Corridor, trying to get off the streets more. If anyones looking for a fun hill checkout this section. Easily the funnest downhill in the city (the rest of the corridor is great too).

Had a good weekend of pedalling! Weather was **** on Saturday, trainer ride in the garage, personal best average watts over a 30km ride.

Today I took my 3yo daughter for a ride in the Thule behind my Scalpel. It was windy. The Thule is not aerodynamic. It made for a lot of extra resistance!! Did 17km with her on the bike trails then we hit up the playground.

Some of you guys were referencing wattage.....here's one for you.

I’ve seen that one before. Puts a couple things into perspective.

Some of you guys were referencing wattage.....here's one for you.
Damn, that was a super low cadence, no wonder he has monster thighs. Technically he could have toasted two slices of bread with the same effort, they wasted half of his power but cool nonetheless.

A while back I saw a video circulating on FB about a guy that built a spin bike based generator for 3rd world countries to use to charge a battery.

A small solar panel that can charge a battery all day is a much more realistic and economical idea.

Back
Top Bottom