Anyone here a cyclist? | Page 13 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Anyone here a cyclist?

. Out of the gate, a used 'ok' bike is the direction I'd go.
That was the plan. Used 18's are apparently not out there. The bike was my wifes job, but knowing now how terrible some are, I may take over. I am fine with an 'ok' bike, I am just trying to avoid a complete turd. I may switch plans and get a 16 as there are more options in the used market and just accept that he may grow out of it before this season is over.

Will a 20" BMX work, tons of those out there...

Toys R Us, Canadian Tire and Walmart have 18 inch bikes in the $130 range....

Will a 20" BMX work, tons of those out there...

Toys R Us, Canadian Tire and Walmart have 18 inch bikes in the $130 range....
20" is too tall. If he could already ride a pedal.bike competently he would fit, but learning on a bike when you cant touch the ground while sitting on the seat is hard and not a pleasant experience for a kid.

I was looking at CT 18" yesterday. Those were the ones I was shocked at the weight of (and on most absolutely horrendous flexible side pull brakes, I know kids can put their feet down and arent going that fast to begin with, but damn, some felt like you could rip them off). I may have some xt v-brakes in the garage that I can swap in if I get a bike with canti bosses (cant remember if I kept them as I didnt expect to own a mtb with rim brakes again).

CTC sells Chinese boat anchors. Run, don't walk.
I noticed. Obviously driving from store to store comparison shopping isn't the best plan right now. Lots of CT money and a decent selection of 16/18/20" bikes so that was the first stop to see what fit the kid.

Kijiji stalking now for Frog/Cleary/Woom/Islabikes/Prevelo. They should be 200 to 300 used. As long as they live inside (which is the plan) they should hold their value.

You can check Co-Ops as well.

The hand brake is not really going to get used anyways, IMO it is just there as a cosmetic sales feature. They all come with coaster brakes and that's what they will use. Most kids that age won't have the hand strength...even for a good brake.

Yes the CTC and other department store bikes are boat anchors but at the end of the day the kid will out grow it pretty quick so it is the best option unless the parents are flush with cash. Better bike when they get older...

The hand brake is not really going to get used anyways, IMO it is just there as a cosmetic sales feature. They all come with coaster brakes and that's what they will use. Most kids that age won't have the hand strength...even for a good brake.

Yes the CTC and other department store bikes are boat anchors but at the end of the day the kid will out grow it pretty quick so it is the best option unless the parents are flush with cash. Better bike when they get older...
If possible, I am trying to avoid coaster brakes. Imo, they have more downsides than upsides. May not be possible.

The way I see it now, new chinesium bikes are ~$150 (up to 300 which is nuts, they still suck), used chinesium bikes are ~80, new good bikes are ~500, used good bikes are ~300 (but rare). Pick your poison.

I have a 26" carbon orbea occam. Upgraded to full slx groupset and brakes, oil actually changed every year, great mechanical condition overall. Might make a really nice youth bike. Dunno what exactly I should get for it.

5c4685e5c6adb5d8eda0fc7c7d4b39e2.jpg

I have a 26" carbon orbea occam. Upgraded to full slx groupset and brakes, oil actually changed every year, great mechanical condition overall. Might make a really nice youth bike. Dunno what exactly I should get for it.

5c4685e5c6adb5d8eda0fc7c7d4b39e2.jpg
I don't know if I would ever get a kid a carbon bike. They are more likely to dump it and much less likely to carefully inspect it. As much as I value lightness, I also want my kids to survive their youth.

Last edited:
I think it's wasteful to buy new kid's bikes
do the planet a favour and buy used
then donate them in 2 years when outgrown
Trust me, that is plan #1 assuming I can find something that works. Ideally I would even do one better and find one that is unloved, bring it back to working, use it and then pass it along in a few years.

Reactions: J_F
Sounds good. I have this for you...16” Trek. It’s always stored indoors, valve adjustment and carbs cleaned, new battery and premium air in the tires . The fenders were removed but I do have them.

e91a1732fb30aad3e518f8400fe8af59.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That looks way cleaner than most used bikes I've gone to check out.

Back
Top Bottom