Anyone do the laser eye thing? | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Anyone do the laser eye thing?

The way I see it if I want a prescription for lenses or glasses filled an Optician is the one to see, if I need a prescription adjustment for eye glasses the Optometrist is the professional to see, and if I have a physiological concern with my eyes, I will be going straight to an eye Doctor (Ophthalmologist)

When my mom had a detached retina her optometrist said go home and when it gets worse go to emergency at the hospital (horrible advice) :/ I made an appointment for her with the best ophthalmologist I knew at the time for the next day, the following week she had the surgery and her vision problem was successfully treated. ymmv.

Looked into it a number of years ago to see if it could fix my amblyopia. Nope. Just keep guessing.

The way I see it if I want a prescription for lenses or glasses filled an Optician is the one to see, if I need a prescription adjustment for eye glasses the Optometrist is the professional to see, and if I have a physiological concern with my eyes, I will be going straight to an eye Doctor (Ophthalmologist)

When my mom had a detached retina her optometrist said go home and when it gets worse go to emergency at the hospital (horrible advice) :/ I made an appointment for her with the best ophthalmologist I knew at the time for the next day, the following week she had the surgery and her vision problem was successfully treated. ymmv.

You generally need a referral for an appointment to see an ophthalmologist. You can't just call them up, unless you're already an existing patient with them.

An optician can't provide a prescription, legally. If one did provide a prescription, they likely were doing some shady **** like having the optometrist sign off on their work (or not even that).

Your optometrist sounds bad (bad doctors exist), though I don't know the exact details of the story (including how you managed to book directly without a referral). Typically, as with all medical professionals, the old ones are pretty outdated and not very good.

The only problem is that, if the Ophthalmologist is any good, it's a six month wait for an appointment, and a two hour wait in the waiting room. It also requires a referral.

Your appointment will also only last around 5 minutes lol

@Baggsy when you do your cataract surgery you should look into the mono vision option. In my case, I'm regretting not doing it.
Mono vision isn't all it's cracked up to be either. As my eyes changed over the past several years my contact lens prescription was setup for mono vision; left for distance, right for reading. It was okay for the first few years (prescription slightly changed annually), but grew to the point where it was more bothersome than helpful. I sit at a computer all day, with my screens just beyond arms reach. At that distance, the screens became blurry with both eyes, so I still ended up with readers over top of the contact lenses, and because off-the-shelf readers have equal prescriptions for both eyes, only one was corrected (unless I bought 2 pairs of the same readers with different adjustment and swapped around the lenses appropriately, or got prescription readers with appropriate adjustment for each eye).

My most recent update a couple months ago, both contacts are now setup for distance so I need readers for up close, but at least they're standard (and cheap) readers. I ended up also buying progressive bifocal glasses too, which I now wear almost all the time I'm not riding the bike.

I can't imagine setting up mono vision via surgery and being stuck in some goofy purgatory vision situation as your eyes change.

The only problem is that, if the Ophthalmologist is any good, it's a six month wait for an appointment, and a two hour wait in the waiting room. It also requires a referral.
Hmmm...

I had a referral for one around Lawrence and Avenue? (i think). Waited 20 minutes (was full) and spent 2 hours there doing full battery of tests. I should note that i went into the hospital, skipped the doctor for referral.

Backstory: Lost sharpness (in my right eye only) for about 24 hours. Left eye had severe irritation, turns out i had an eyelash wedged way under the eyeball. Scratched Cornea, yay!

Tests came back showing nadda, my eyes are beyond healthy.

/shrug

@beverage
In my situation, I had to have prk to adjust the results from the cataract surgery. While I was recovering, I had monovision that did well with both reading and arm's length.
Tbh the arm's length lack of vision bothers me more than the close vision.
I'm ok for using readers for that.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Got it done 7 years ago. Suffer from dry eye ever since ( which is a known side effect). Now stock up on Genteal all the time. Extreme dry weather affects (Blurs) vision, which is also known problem. Night vision is not that great. . But I do agree freedom from glasses.. rest i can live with.

do your research, there are lots of promises made, the after care, what kind of eye do you have, make sure your know which doctor will perform the procedure and not a newbie at the clinic.
your going need some time off to rest/ cover your eye. you don't want do anything else...nothing!

do your research, there are lots of promises made, the after care, what kind of eye do you have, make sure your know which doctor will perform the procedure and not a newbie at the clinic.
your going need some time off to rest/ cover your eye. you don't want do anything else...nothing!
That's depressing :| almost sounds like one of those drug commercials that lists a whole bunch of terrible side effects including possible death and then finishes with 'Ask your doctor if !@#$% is right for you!'

I only seen one doctor consider doing something really terrible and he was no newbie he was a relic and so was his equipment.

An update:
Was posted earlier in thread (iirc) about eye lid sticking shut in the morning after PRK.

I usually ease my way into waking, and opening my eyes, but the other night the little guy had a bad dream and screamed himself awake, which woke me. I opened my eyes quickly and felt like my eyelid teared away from my eye.

I'm making sure to use drops every night now.
Any other suggestions?

An update:
Was posted earlier in thread (iirc) about eye lid sticking shut in the morning after PRK.

I usually ease my way into waking, and opening my eyes, but the other night the little guy had a bad dream and screamed himself awake, which woke me. I opened my eyes quickly and felt like my eyelid teared away from my eye.

Any other suggestions?

hylo gel is magic for people with sticky eyes (quite pricey though)

An update:

Any other suggestions?

I had bottles of eye drops everywhere for the first year. At home, work, in the car .. you name it.
You can try the gel but i didnt like it much.

Obviously each person's eyes react differently...but I work in a very heavily dusty, dirty, and cool environment for 11hrs/day. Not sure how my eyes would react to that following surgery.

Back
Top Bottom