Anybody need some cellular data? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Anybody need some cellular data?

I buy data as needed.
It costs me from $1.00 to $4.00 a month!
Learn to use Wifi and free Internet instead.
If I really need to send pictures I can wait until I get home and use my desktop.
If I am laying on the side of the road in a pool of my own blood I don't care what the roaming charges will be to call for help.
The last time I had to replace my phone (charging port crapped out and it was 10 years old and not worth fixing)
To get a new "FREE" phone I would have to upgrade my minute plan to one costing $60.00 more per month plus $26.00 per month phone payment. Multiply that by 24 months. It was cheaper to buy a reconditioned 5 year old phone.
And whats with G5 being faster? Does everybody talking sound like the chipmunk records of the 60s, is there only 20 hours on the clock?
I don't want to be more productive at work! It only means my boss would expect more from me for the same money.
Phone companies are crooks who have conned the populace and that is why you should buy stocks in them.
Go ahead and call me a Ludite but check your phone bill first.

Koodo just dropped this...

5075.jpg

I'm paying $38 for 15GB for would be great to use at the cottage for hot spotting for meetings / Netflix.
Thanks for sharing, I've been with Freedom for so long, I haven't bother to look around. Hate Freedom network, might be nice to be on a better supported one, this could work.

I'm on Koodo ... 24GB for $45 but not sure anyone new can get it ... checked my usage and never above 2GB anyways so it's costing them nothing.

5G will only work on the newer phones that are built to accept it. Mine won't and the speed is fine enough on 4G.

Thanks for sharing, I've been with Freedom for so long, I haven't bother to look around. Hate Freedom network, might be nice to be on a better supported one, this could work.

I've been grandfathered into a decent plan - unlimted everything for $32 (taxes in) and can stomach their spotty network as long as they appear to be an option also felt a bit better sticking it to Robelus while helping the smaller dude.

I've been grandfathered into a decent plan - unlimted everything for $32 (taxes in) and can stomach their spotty network as long as they appear to be an option also felt a bit better sticking it to Robelus while helping the smaller dude.
Shoot I'd be ok with that amount. How did you get it or grandfathered or get that?

5G will only work on the newer phones that are built to accept it. Mine won't and the speed is fine enough on 4G.
Fwiw, I don't notice the speed difference between 4G and 5G. I am sure it is there if I did a speed test but for things I am doing on my phone, both are fine (same with Wifi 6 vs wifi 5). For both 5G and wifi 6, I find that range is crap so normally the phone falls back to a lower standard anyway.

Think it was their 2nd year in business and they were despreate for market penetration so they had some ridiculous promos that ran for a limted time. I signed up and never switched or changed anything. Can anyone imagine if Verizon was allowed to setup shop in Canada in 2013?!

Last edited:
For those in Cogeco service area.
I just signed up Cogeco Internet service

1Gig service
$50/month
$50 first month credit
No install fee
24 Months guaranteed rate
No contract
No cancelation fee

This is an unadvertised deal offer through door-to-door sales. I normally do not take advantage of any door-to-door sales but my neighbor alerted me about this and he did most of the talking with them.

Let me know if anyone is interested and I can pass on the direct cell of the sales person.

This is not a sales pitch from me, I DO NOT GET ANY COMMISSION FROM THIS.

1700359989134.png

Last edited:
Fwiw, I don't notice the speed difference between 4G and 5G. I am sure it is there if I did a speed test but for things I am doing on my phone, both are fine (same with Wifi 6 vs wifi 5). For both 5G and wifi 6, I find that range is crap so normally the phone falls back to a lower standard anyway.
The phone guy at the store told me that the difference between 4G and 5G speeds is only evident with hard core gaming or binge streaming and that too it may not be a whiz-bang difference.

Last edited:
Time to check for deals again. Public Mobile 2 weeks after their previous deals has a new set of offers for "Black Friday"

So I went 50Gb for $40. & I'm 72!!

@Lightcycle

I buy data as needed.

Not everyone has that reality. I live on the road, I need mobile data as WiFi isn't a reality.

More or less the same for the Fredom plan I'm on - the grandfathered classic everywhere $50 plan with a Friends and Family discount. I've got about 50 gigs a month now on both lines, unlimited US roaming included (albeit a 1gb data cap in the USA, unlimited throttled afterwards, but it gets the job done), monthly bill is something like $82 taxes in every month for both lines.

Freedom has some AWESOME plans they put out in the last few weeks - their global roaming plan they just introduced is huge for a lot of travellers.

Time to check for deals again. Public Mobile 2 weeks after their previous deals has a new set of offers for "Black Friday"

So I went 50Gb for $40. & I'm 72!!

@Lightcycle

Awesome!

Went from 20GB @ 4G $39/month to 40GB @ 5G for $34/month!

Thanks again for keeping me updated!

So I was talking to Fido last week (my carrier) and I was able to increase my date to 60GB for $45...today I was talking with them for a different reason and the customer service rep offers me 70GB (or 75 I forget) for the same price but it's with Rogers (Fido's parent company)...the Fido plan offers 4G and Rogers is 5G...

I know absolutely nothing about 3G, 4G or 5G...is there a big difference?...my phone is old (Samsung A5 from 2017) so it's not a 5G phone to begin with...I was with Rogers wayyyyyy back in the late 90's for something like 10 years or so...then switched to Telus (corporate plan) and now with Fido since 2015ish...

Would you switch?

I upped my data plan because I want to be able to use my phone as a hotspot for my tablet when we go camping and don't have WiFi available...how long would 60GB last if surfing the web and watching YouTube and Netflix? She said I'd get a new SIM card...does this mean I'll lose my games (stored on my SD Card), music, contacts etc?

Like I said, I really know nothing about all this stuff so sorry if it sounds ridiculous.

Freedom threw another 30gig bonus at me a few weeks ago out of the blue so now I have 80 something gigs every month. Pretty happy overall needless to say for my $40/month.

For those in Cogeco service area.
I just signed up Cogeco Internet service

1Gig service
$50/month
$50 first month credit
No install fee
24 Months guaranteed rate
No contract
No cancelation fee

This is an unadvertised deal offer through door-to-door sales. I normally do not take advantage of any door-to-door sales but my neighbor alerted me about this and he did most of the talking with them.

Let me know if anyone is interested and I can pass on the direct cell of the sales person.

This is not a sales pitch from me, I DO NOT GET ANY COMMISSION FROM THIS.

View attachment 64447
We also just signed up for this. I personally instantly HATED the router they provided me with, but I was able to plug my own equipment directly into their ONT so problem solved! Absolutely delighted to kick Bell to the curb for now

So I was talking to Fido last week (my carrier) and I was able to increase my date to 60GB for $45...today I was talking with them for a different reason and the customer service rep offers me 70GB (or 75 I forget) for the same price but it's with Rogers (Fido's parent company)...the Fido plan offers 4G and Rogers is 5G...

I know absolutely nothing about 3G, 4G or 5G...is there a big difference?...my phone is old (Samsung A5 from 2017) so it's not a 5G phone to begin with...I was with Rogers wayyyyyy back in the late 90's for something like 10 years or so...then switched to Telus (corporate plan) and now with Fido since 2015ish...

Would you switch?

I upped my data plan because I want to be able to use my phone as a hotspot for my tablet when we go camping and don't have WiFi available...how long would 60GB last if surfing the web and watching YouTube and Netflix? She said I'd get a new SIM card...does this mean I'll lose my games (stored on my SD Card), music, contacts etc?

Like I said, I really know nothing about all this stuff so sorry if it sounds ridiculous.
5G is theoretically faster. The way I use my phone, I don't feel any difference. 5G range is pretty close to towers so I spend most time in 4G. Camping expect 4G or worse.

60GB is a lot for everything except video. If you start watching 4K video on netflix, you are about 7 gigs an hour. If you are watching 720p, 60 gb goes a lot further (about 0.7GB per hour).

Games, music, etc may be on SD card but should not have anything to do with sim card. Contacts may be on sim card but I don't like that as losing the phone means you lose all your contacts. I store all my contacts on google so there are none on the card. If I switched cards, nothing would change for me other than my provider and/or number. You can move your contacts from sim to google contacts manually right now so when you change cards, you don't lose anything.

The main thing to currently know about 5G vs 4G is not the technology behind it, but that they are essentially being used as brands for the level of service you are getting.

This is an excellent article that breaks this down for most Canadian wireless operators.

Back
Top Bottom