Any members here that have sleds too? | Page 11 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Any members here that have sleds too?

Interesting. Wouldn't want to be a cat dealer right now. It's hard enough to move volume with our recent crap winters, having your entire supply chain blocked is very bad.

Just joined the party and bought a couple of older sleds. 500 Polaris and a 1000 yami!

Something fun for the winter months, figure try it anyway.

Gonna be a beauty weekend, missing 2 wheels right now.

Almost that time of year and I’ve already had snow at our place. I upgraded the sleds to a pair of matching G4 Renegade 850’s for this season. What’s everyone else riding this season?
7D5219D1-23D3-452D-8016-DFBABB1C22E1.jpeg

Some very nice sleds
Thinking of getting an older budget sled to play around with when I’m up North, any recommendations on what to buy and what to stay away from?

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com

The older Polaris 500 liquid cooled is good and reliable

how old and how much you looking to spend

I’m open to suggestions but thinking possibly as old as 2000 and spending up to 5000 but cheaper is also good. I realize that could be a bit of a pipe dream though

I've had quite a few sleds since the mid 80s. Currently for the past 5-1/2 years have the same RX-1, as i found it to be one of the most reliable sleds out there. Yamaha seems to be the most reliable anyway, something i learned starting working in a snowmobile shop some 30 years ago. I did put a Ski Doo skid in it last winter tho... worthy investment.

I've had quite a few sleds since the mid 80s. Currently for the past 5-1/2 years have the same RX-1, as i found it to be one of the most reliable sleds out there. Yamaha seems to be the most reliable anyway, something i learned starting working in a snowmobile shop some 30 years ago. I did put a Ski Doo skid in it last winter tho... worthy investment.

Thanks! Other than having ridden a few sleds when I was much younger I know nothing about them so I appreciate the input.

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

I had an 07 apex that i sold last year, great sled for lakes and open trails,

not so good for all day riding and tight twisties. very heavy and no suspension

Picking a sled is the same as picking a bike. Have to decide if you want sporty or touring or a lake-queen. If you go the sporty end of things you have to decide if you just want to rail corners or if you’re going to want to ditch bang or hit big jumps. Then decide if you want to go 2-stroke or 4 (basically 4-stroke is it’s on average 75-150lbs heavier than similar powered 2 but motors go longer before rebuild and no 2T oil to buy).
Great length is 136-137in track with 1.5” or less lugs as it turns almost as good as a shorter track yet has more traction allowing you to venture off-trail if you want (I wouldn’t recommend anything longer if you want a good trail sled)

I'm looking for a double enclosed snowmobile trailer if anyone has one for sale or knows of one. I will post it in the wanted ads also

Ditch banging.. yea thats the best kind lol.

Attachments

• rx11.jpg
    rx11.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 5
Picking a sled is the same as picking a bike. Have to decide if you want sporty or touring or a lake-queen. If you go the sporty end of things you have to decide if you just want to rail corners or if you’re going to want to ditch bang or hit big jumps. Then decide if you want to go 2-stroke or 4 (basically 4-stroke is it’s on average 75-150lbs heavier than similar powered 2 but motors go longer before rebuild and no 2T oil to buy).
Great length is 136-137in track with 1.5” or less lugs as it turns almost as good as a shorter track yet has more traction allowing you to venture off-trail if you want (I wouldn’t recommend anything longer if you want a good trail sled)

Good info. I’d lean to touring to some degree I guess. Long day comfort but a combination of twisties and fast open rips. Big air etc would be pretty rare. A lot of crown land trails that we atv on in the summer.

Good info. I’d lean to touring to some degree I guess. Long day comfort but a combination of twisties and fast open rips. Big air etc would be pretty rare. A lot of crown land trails that we atv on in the summer.

Just like bikes. All we need is one affordable option that is good at everything.

If you can, try and bum a ride from friends. 2-stroke/4-stroke is an entirely different experience and you may find you have a clear preference (ime, two-stroke is lighter and high strung while 4-stroke just feels like the hand of god pushing on your butt). Each company has their own riding feel and again, personal preference may reveal a clear favorite for you.

For me, really high speed on a sled gets old fast (and obviously cranks up the danger). I suspect most trail sleds these days are 120+hp so none will be slow. A 150 km/h sled is a long way from a 200 km/h sled in hp, cost, etc but you don't notice a quantum difference on the lake. I don't like utility sleds as toys, just no fun.

For those needs and your price point a Skidoo GSX fits the slot nicely. Really any year will do. There’s a 1200 4T option (similar hp to a 600 2T but more tq) and lots of 600sdi or 600/800etec options. All are good. Stay away from a 800ptek as they had some issues. Great thing about the GSX sled is it’s all most exactly a MXZ trail rocket just with slightly softer suspension and with less flashy colours so almost all are bought by older people who take good care of them.

Thanks, all very informative and now I have a great starting point. I’m sure all be back with more questions in the coming weeks

Back
Top Bottom