Any GTAM'ers own an electric vehicle? | Page 475 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Any GTAM'ers own an electric vehicle?

Wait tell they start taxing kms driven. It will come.

- I've been hearing that since somewhere around page 5 of this thread, years and years ago. Hasn't happened yet and here in Ontario it's not even on the drawing board.

- If/When it does, it is what it is, it'll almost certainly be cheaper than gas by a long shot still. As it currently sits at about $2.25 to charge my wife's Volt for around 100km in the summer, that comes out to about 1.5L/100km based on todays gas prices. Mine costs me about a buck a day for my 40 KM's I drive. Winning. Whatever tax level is levied wouldn't be significant enough to swing that math notably to the negative without risking an uprising from the same automakers investing in EV's here, and being courted by all levels of government on top of it all, so there would be a direct level of masochism for any government here to even consider it right now.

It wouldn't look very good if a major auto maker suddenly shuttered a manufacturing plant or cancelled plans for a refit and new model because of stupid anti-EV decision right now. Notice how quiet Ford has been on that front after coming out anti EV in his first year? Now he's actually courting EV investment. He's not going to step on his own dick right now no matter how dumb he is.

Wait tell they start taxing kms driven. It will come.
Oh it'll come at some point in time. But I also think that politicians are careful to tread that route because of all the push toward EV over the last few years.

I also don't think we're anywhere near the quantity of EVs on the road to make much of a difference. I believe California has this new $/km tax/fee/whatever but they have a lot more EVs.

That would be terrifying. 1000 hp stuck at full throttle and you are trying to swipe a touch screen to get it into neutral. Good luck.

I've done something similar in a 350hp dune buggy where the gas stuck while I was on my parents lawn. Rear brakes were turned down a bit for burnouts so they couldn't control the motor. Did donuts for a bit but couldn't reach kill switch with harness on (design oversight). Didn't want to go to neutral and blow it up (no rev limiter) Put the front into a tree and then I had a second to loosen the harness and kill the engine. My parents were quite unimpressed.

I saw a social media post of someone who had it happen to them. They said they just stepped on the brake, which automatically cuts the throttle regardless of the throttle pedal position. I think this might be a mandated feature on all passenger vehicles now. My econobox does it, which is kind of annoying when I want to ride the brakes to clean the rust off the rotors when I haven't driven it in a while.

I saw a social media post of someone who had it happen to them. They said they just stepped on the brake, which automatically cuts the throttle regardless of the throttle pedal position. I think this might be a mandated feature on all passenger vehicles now. My econobox does it, which is kind of annoying when I want to ride the brakes to clean the rust off the rotors when I haven't driven it in a while.
That is supposed to work but in some vehicles you can convince the car to override it. Makes heel/toe shifting very annoying when the car tries to outthink you. I haven't done it in a long time but I think if you let go of gas and then add it again, that allows gas and brake at same time. Hopefully the brake shuts down the Tesla with a stuck pedal. It's heavy enough that the dbag owner probably survives but kills the people in the car they used as a crumple zone.

Always swore i would never pay a membership to shop. With the gas prices, i finally caved and got a Costco membership
For me, it's been about 10-12c/L savings at Costco compared to the local area.

However...I'm an early riser so I typically will be there b/w 6:30-7am as then I can hit up the Walmart at the same time. Never a lineup, same goes for 8pm or later...very little in terms of traffic.

Always swore i would never pay a membership to shop. With the gas prices, i finally caved and got a Costco membership
While costco is normally close to the cheapest in Barrie, it's not always cheapest. Other stations can be a cent or two less. On the upside, if you get gas at costco, you aren't getting screwed as you are close the bottom in the area.

The big difference was in premium. Costco used to be regular plus 0.10 for premium. When then started adding ethanol to premium that went out the window and I think the spread is more like 0.20 now.

That would be terrifying. 1000 hp stuck at full throttle and you are trying to swipe a touch screen to get it into neutral. Good luck.

Engage the FSD, sit back, wait for the battery to run dry. You'll be fine.

Engage the FSD, sit back, wait for the battery to run dry. You'll be fine.
Does FSD have a max speed (or almost more importantly a max closing speed to nearby objects)?

EDIT:
Looks like somewhere between 80 and 90 mph for Tesla. Now, I'm not sure if you stay on the accelerator and speed up if it gives up on steering or if it continues to try but leaves speed control to you.

Does FSD have a max speed (or almost more importantly a max closing speed to nearby objects)?
Speaking of FSD. Tesla must be desperate to showcase it as my buddy with a Y said he got 1 month free trial of it.

Said it’s good…but made him nervous when testing out.

I kindly refused his offer of taking it out for a drive.

Speaking of FSD. Tesla must be desperate to showcase it as my buddy with a Y said he got 1 month free trial of it.

Said it’s good…but made him nervous when testing out.

I kindly refused his offer of taking it out for a drive.
FSD (if it was real) is the path to riches. Tesla is again harping on robo taxis. Meanwhile, even with a competent driver overseeing each vehicle, they still try to crash and drive like aholes on every trip. If a regulatory agency focuses on science instead of lobbying, we are many years from robo-taxis in the wild.

FSD (if it was real) is the path to riches. Tesla is again harping on robo taxis. Meanwhile, even with a competent driver overseeing each vehicle, they still try to crash and drive like aholes on every trip. If a regulatory agency focuses on science instead of lobbying, we are many years from robo-taxis in the wild.
I’m just shocked there is an ‘aggressive’ mode in the settings…

Chill > Average > Aggressive

WTF would you want an aggressive AI….

I’m just shocked there is an ‘aggressive’ mode in the settings…

Chill > Average > Aggressive

WTF would you want an aggressive AI….
To match the owners personality? To be honest, chill mode in 401 traffic would probably suck. If you leave a hole, someone will take the hole.

There's some good reading on live robo-taxis if you search "Waymo" or "Cruise taxi". San Francisco has/had some pilot programs, and apparently Texas cities are prohibited from regulating autonomous vehicles due to a state law.

Sorta-funny quote from an interview about the Cruise cars hanging out in gangs and making people nervous in Texas:
Texas Standard: In San Francisco, Cruise have been operating driverless taxis for a number of months, and there were a lot of stories about blocked traffic, injuries and a more broad backlash against Cruise. How have things be going in Texas?

Dan Solomon:
Well, they’ve been generally okay, but not great. The way I’d describe it, they didn’t cause any accidents that I’m aware of. But they did certainly inconvenience a lot of people, you know, and they kind of freak people out, too.

They took over a stretch of West Campus one night after a UT game. They would occasionally just kind of pick a intersection or a neighborhood to converge on. And it’s weird.

So, you know, people didn’t love it, but there weren’t any serious problems. But there were enough that, you know, made people feel uncomfortable.

The design of this pedal that has now led to the recall is one of the dumbest things ever - literally just a plate that appears to be snapped onto the actual pedal, except the plate wasn't adequately attached so the cover slides off and jams into the body.

Around here a lot of the local gas stations basically match Costco's prices after 6pm, so if you can wait, you don't even need to bother going.

The design of this pedal that has now led to the recall is one of the dumbest things ever - literally just a plate that appears to be snapped onto the actual pedal, except the plate wasn't adequately attached so the cover slides off and jams into the body.

What a terrible pedal design. Makes you wonder how much testing was done after design was finalized but before shipping some. I suspect the testing was done with the black pedal and they slid on the cosmetic cover right at the end of the schedule.

Back
Top Bottom