Any GTAM'ers own an electric vehicle? | Page 473 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Any GTAM'ers own an electric vehicle?

My favourite response to this statement is "How do you get gas when all the gas stations have no power either to run the pumps?".

I only wish I could see the look of cognitive dissonance on their faces through the internet, but the fact they usually shut up and stop commenting tells you all you need to know about how far they thought through their statement before just repeating tripe they found online in the heat of the moment.
Have you never gone to a gas station during a power outage? lol. They run on generators. People needing fuel during power outages isn't new.

They probably stop commenting because of the ridiculousness of your question and realize the pointlessness of arguing with you. Sorry if that sounds rude but your comment was pretty smug.

Have you never gone to a gas station during a power outage? lol. They run on generators. People needing fuel during power outages isn't new.

They probably stop commenting because of the ridiculousness of your question and realize the pointlessness of arguing with you. Sorry if that sounds rude but your comment was pretty smug.
Most gas stations don't have standby generators. If the outage is long enough, maybe they'll bring one in but for the first bunch of hours they are dead in the water.

Most gas stations don't have standby generators. If the outage is long enough, maybe they'll bring one in but for the first bunch of hours they are dead in the water.

Kind of my point on why people stop arguing with him. Just keep moving the target. He said gas stations can't run when the power goes out, now it's that they don't all change over immediately in a power outage.

What is the point that you're trying to argue? That you would rather have an electric car in a power outage? That's ridiculous. I have full fuel cans in my garage. Generators can run a gas pump easier then they can charge an EV. The amount of fuel you would need to charge an EV on a generator would be crazy.

I'm going to stop engaging in this. Private Pilot is free to imagine the look of cognitive dissonance on my face through the internet.

Kind of my point on why people stop arguing with him. Just keep moving the target. He said gas stations can't run when the power goes out, now it's that they don't all change over immediately in a power outage.

What is the point that you're trying to argue? That you would rather have an electric car in a power outage? That's ridiculous. I have full fuel cans in my garage. Generators can run a gas pump easier then they can charge an EV. The amount of fuel you would need to charge an EV on a generator would be crazy.

I'm going to stop engaging in this. Private Pilot is free to imagine the look of cognitive dissonance on my face through the internet.
I understand your point but I don't agree with you. Most people run their ICE vehicle down to almost empty before refilling. If the outage happens at that point, I'm not in great shape. I've got <<100 km in the car and normally whatever is left in a 5 gallon jug that is used for yard equipment (which could also be almost empty or full depending on the day). Most people with electric cars have the thing full (or at least 80% if they are extending battery life) every single day. Bi-directional chargers are becoming more common. I would rather have an EV than ICE in a power outage lasting a few days or less. Those that last longer than a few days are rare but I would prefer ICE (or PHEV) on those occasions.

Have you never gone to a gas station during a power outage? They run on generators

Uh, yeah, no, they don't.

Go for a drive next time there's a blackout, and don't mistake a random gas station with electricity when a surrounding area is out for them having a generator, it just means that they're likely on a different part of the grid that isn't out, the same as how whenever our power is out here at our house, it's quite common to see the houses on the street behind us still lit up, because they're on a different grid segment.

And perhaps you don't remember during the big blackout in 2003 how many stations actually were completely without gas to even sell for days after the blackout ended because the whole supply chain (including the refinery) was disrupted.

Electricity to charge an EV was working fine however.

Here's a cool video to watch, BTW. Skip to the 3 minute mark where they actually talk about how stations couldn't pump gas last summer after the big storms in Ottawa and actually even mulled about mandating generators...which, they don't have.

On the other hand, their fancy gigacasting has pockets facing upward underneath the vehicle and with no drain holes, which will trap water and dirt. It's aluminium, so it isn't a rust problem, but it isn't wonderful.

Can't wait for the "why does my Cybertruck smell like a smelly pond?" posts once the weather starts heating up.

The eclipse caused long waits at some charging stations due to the sudden demand:

Morons. That was predictable. No amount of chargers or money can solve stupidity.

Yep. A lot of gas stations were backed up as well, because planning ahead seems to be lost on a lot of people anymore. Lineups at restaurants, gas stations, and on the highways after the big event was inevitable. The smart people at least planned ahead enough to avoid the first 2 things, to get as far ahead as the third as was possible.

But of course, nobody posts online laughing about backed up gas stations, just backed up EV chargers, because that fits the current narrative.

Check Your Gas Tank​

First, if you’re planning to drive anywhere today, make sure your car has plenty of gas (or charge, if it’s electric). Traffic can be heavy right after the eclipse, and you don’t want to get stranded if you are stuck in long backups. Gas stations can sometimes run out of gas if many travelers are driving to and from the same locations on the same day.

The eclipse caused long waits at some charging stations due to the sudden demand:

I stopped for lunch at Hutch's on the Beach in Hamilton before the eclipse, knowing from Plugshare that they had a bank of Flo level 2 chargers in the parking lot. I did not anticipate needing more charge than I started with, but with the situation possibly being a bit unknown, I plugged in while having lunch. Didn't need it. Got home with the batteries at around half.

$1 per hour at those chargers, by the way. (6.6 kW)

Damn, should've looked harder for an EV....14c/L increase in price of gas tomorrow due to new summer blend...

..14c/L increase in price of gas tomorrow due to new summer blend...

Cue most people blaming it on the government somehow.

I had a debate in a Facebook group last night with somebody who wanted to blame it on everybody except the oil companies (all the usual culprits in the USA), and wholesale *refused* to accept the fact that almost $100 per barrel oil had anything whatsoever to do with it.

I had a debate in a Facebook group last night with somebody who wanted to blame it on everybody except the oil companies (all the usual culprits in the USA), and wholesale *refused* to accept the fact that almost $100 per barrel oil had anything whatsoever to do with it.
to me...it's simply greed because they can, so why not?

Pre-covid $100 per barrel oil used to be ~$1/litre gas. I havent seen a good explanation on how they diverged. Some carbon tax, some profiteering. Not sure if processing increased costs meaningfully.

That blatant gouging with no reasoning whatsoever was 1 of the main reasons I went off gas (for the most part) back in 2014 with my Volt.

Now I'm fully off-gas on my daily driver and feel great not lining the pockets of those greedy ba$tards.

Look up Suncor quarterly earnings. Divide by the population of Canada. Factor in that not all citizens are taxpayers. Factor in that this isn't the only petroleum company operating in Canada.

Disclaimer: despite being a clean energy advocate, I own some SU because dividends.

Pre-covid $100 per barrel oil used to be ~$1/litre gas. I havent seen a good explanation on how they diverged. Some carbon tax, some profiteering. Not sure if processing increased costs meaningfully.

In 2008 when oil hit $140 I vividly remember paying over $2/L at points on the west coast during our coast to coast road trip we did that year, but a lot of people have forgotten that I think. It was north of $1.40L here in Ontario in the GTA, and $1.60+ in many areas north when you got into the sticks. I still have the stack of fuel receipts somewhere.

Yes there was a tax difference at the time, both provincial and federal, however inflation aside, profiteering on behalf of the oil companies is certainly in play in current day, there is no question.

Reactions: LBV
Look up Suncor quarterly earnings. Divide by the population of Canada. Factor in that not all citizens are taxpayers. Factor in that this isn't the only petroleum company operating in Canada.

Disclaimer: despite being a clean energy advocate, I own some SU because dividends.
Another oligopoly running the same scheme are the banks ... nice dividends there too.

Back
Top Bottom