Any GTAM'ers own an electric vehicle? | Page 458 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Any GTAM'ers own an electric vehicle?

Buddy just bought a 2018 Bolt with 125k on it. Battery replaced 2 years ago.

So for <19k I’d say that’s a good buy.
Hmmm.

There are several ways to charge the Bolt EV. On a standard 240-volt Level 2 electric vehicle charger, it takes about nine hours to take the battery pack from empty to full. Bolt EVs with the $750 fast-charging option can plug into a DC fast charger to add approximately 90 miles of range every 30 minutes, provided you can find one of the 1000-plus Combined Charging System (CCS) connectors scattered throughout the U.S.

So are said CCS connectors easy to to secure?

@Brian P

That is WAAAAYYYY outdated text! For one thing, fast-charging was only optional for the first couple of years. It's standard now. (Hard to believe that it was optional once upon a time. Bolt was designed at a time when fast-charging was a new concept.) For another, there are A LOT more than 1000 CCS fast-charging stations in the USA. (It's nearing 10,000 and that doesn't count the soon-to-arrive Tesla Supercharger compatibility for GM vehicles, which Ford already has access to.)

On the Bolt and other non-Tesla EV facebook groups, I'm hearing more and more "I did a road trip from X to Y with Z charging stops, and had no problem with any of them" as opposed to the Electrify America horror stories of the not too distant past. NO the situation is not "perfect" but it seems to be getting better ... even at much-maligned Electrify America, apparently.

Might consider trading/selling the X5 and scooping up a Bolt. Looks like there's enough options in the area to keep it charged up.

/ponder

Why don’t I have a Bolt? Because I’m torn between the Bolt and the Mav.

Add in the fact I love the GTI and my wife won’t / can’t drive it…

I’m full of confusion.
I stand corrected, just saw it should be over 400km

Ah, gotcha.

Why don’t I have a Bolt? Because I’m torn between the Bolt and the Mav.

Add in the fact I love the GTI and my wife won’t / can’t drive it…

I’m full of confusion.
With bolts trading at close to 15k less than the mav, that would be a pretty easy decision for me. Your dad has the van for work stuff when required.

With bolts trading at close to 15k less than the mav, that would be a pretty easy decision for me. Your dad has the van for work stuff when required.
I'm in the 'convince me NOT to buy a truck too' situation.

Could use it to haul the future track bike, i 'assume' i will eventually takeover more of the cottage upkeep as my aunt and uncle get on (mid 70s). This includes towing the pontoon to/from lake/storage. But day to day the bed would likely be unused and my wife would absolutely despise driving it when she had to.

I think it makes more sense to buy something 'cheap' that i can daily drive in the rain/winter, as i'll likely take the bike whenever possible. I can always swap vehicles with friends/rent a truck if needed.

Can pretty much do a clean trade or private sale and payoff a used Bolt in full now too. I am quite enjoying being debt free..

for everyone else....

I woudn't advise buying a Bolt.

last gen technology, BEV system is no longer supported, troubled history.

There are far better choices in todays EV market. Even if you have to pay a little more.

for everyone else....

I woudn't advise buying a Bolt.

last gen technology, BEV system is no longer supported, troubled history.

There are far better choices in todays EV market. Even if you have to pay a little more.
Let's hear it

Doubt we'll see it in NA. Not only may it not adhere to our crash standards but it may very well end up tariffed six ways to Sunday. It's impossible to compete in good faith against them when they're basically running on endless government subsidies that artificially lower their products prices.

Australia has very stiff standards for rego but may be tarrif issue tho their buses are already in Canada.
I wouldbe very surprised if they did not make a retail presence for the cars.
They have machines that make a lot of sense from a cost standpoint.
By 2023, BYD continued to be the world's largest plug-in hybrid electric vehicle manufacturer and the second-largest battery electric vehicle manufacturer, following Tesla, with global market shares of 21.4 percent and 15 percent, respectively.
Irresistable force?

if BYD comes to US/Can and can dodge tariffs. (not likely)

it will be game over for the big 3 in electrics.

if BYD comes to US/Can and can dodge tariffs. (not likely)

it will be game over for the big 3 in electrics.
So what is the vehicle that this statement refers to? "There are far better choices in todays EV market. Even if you have to pay a little more."

BYD may fill that role at an unknown time in the future for an unknown price but that is useless now.

the anticipation is kill me..

Back
Top Bottom