Any GTAM'ers own an electric vehicle? | Page 442 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Any GTAM'ers own an electric vehicle?

I saw a EV jetski the other day. I asked the guy how long it go for before needing a charge.
"up to 2 hours" is the answer I got...
"okay, what does that mean exactly.. 2 hours of coasting? 2 hours of slow riding? 2 hours at half throttle? how long will it last if I point it into open water and hold it wide open until it dies"
"It will last for up to 2 hours under normal use"
"No one at your company has done a WOT range test?"
"All I can tell you is the battery will last for up to 2 hours under normal use"

I saw a EV jetski the other day. I asked the guy how long it go for before needing a charge.
"up to 2 hours" is the answer I got...
"okay, what does that mean exactly.. 2 hours of coasting? 2 hours of slow riding? 2 hours at half throttle? how long will it last if I point it into open water and hold it wide open until it dies"
"It will last for up to 2 hours under normal use"
"No one at your company has done a WOT range test?"
"All I can tell you is the battery will last for up to 2 hours under normal use"
All you need to do is divide the battery kWh capacity by the claimed power output. It won't be very long. The trouble with this application is that it's pretty easy to use full load, or close to it, without actually going all that fast. Boats are thirsty.

All you need to do is divide the battery kWh capacity by the claimed power output. It won't be very long. The trouble with this application is that it's pretty easy to use full load, or close to it, without actually going all that fast. Boats are thirsty.
Electric short race boats may be competitive soon (heavier than ICE but can probably make up for that by having a much broader torque curve and faster reaction to "throttle"). Electric assist sailing or local cruising is probably viable now. As you say, boats (and planes) have a constant high hp draw and minimal regeneration so for now, they are a horrendous fit for BEV. Sure, you can make it work for an order of magnitude more money and an order of magnitude less range but that's not the market most people are in.

I think the biggest upside to an electric jetski is if you are an ass on a no-gas lake, you can piss off all the neighbours. Would also make a good toy to hang on a yacht. Always ready to go, short periods of play followed by long periods of sitting on the mothership.

When they will only say "up to" 2 hours and most jetskis spend most of their time right to the bar, I have very low expectations. Them not telling you the WOT number means it's abysmal. IIRC, the first bunch of teslas were about 1% of battery capacity for every second at full throttle. That was a while ago so I expect the jetski to be better but would not be at all surprised if the WOT number was 15 minutes or so.

25kwh with 160hp.. I'm getting 12.5 minutes.
Should I assume it'll be less when factoring in the resistance of moving thru the water?

25kwh with 160hp.. I'm getting 12.5 minutes.
Should I assume it'll be less when factoring in the resistance of moving thru the water?
My understanding from physics (and memory) is to double or half speed for a boat in water is roughly 8X factor in power required. Of course there are other variables but that is a good starting point. So speed is a big multiplier....

Nah, the motor just sees a load, and doesn't care what the load is. I'm not surprised.

For what it's worth, the calculation with a combustion engine vehicle has more variables but same concept. A Chrysler Hellcat can empty its fuel tank in about 20 minutes, too, in theory. MotoGP bikes almost empty their 22 (iirc) litre fuel tank in a race, and they're only at full throttle for a small part of each lap.

New feature unlocked on the Cyber Truck...

I would not be excited to slam my fingers in any vehicle door. The anti-pinch sensors they talk about are only for the last small pull-in, the smash from swinging the door would have already molested you. Focussing on the damage EV's cause is just clickbait fud. It's hard to find a vehicle that you could slam your hand in an come out unscathed. Car would need to trap the swing well out (gap 4" or so) and then slowly swing it in with pinch protection activated or be entirely power swung with no ability to throw it shut with your muscles. I don't know of a single car that that a long power pull in. As for full power doors, I assume the X has full-power on the falcon doors but I am not sure how they behave if you pull them shut.

When I was a small child, I was inside an 80's GMC truck when the door was closed and my fingers were poking out outside. I was very unhappy but thankfully no damage. Yay for big panel gaps.

Last edited:
I would not be excited to slam my fingers in any vehicle door. The anti-pinch sensors they talk about are only for the last small pull-in, the smash from swinging the door would have already molested you. Focussing on the damage EV's cause is just clickbait fud. It's hard to find a vehicle that you could slam your hand in an come out unscathed. Car would need to trap the swing well out (gap 4" or so) and then slowly swing it in with pinch protection activated or be entirely power swung with no ability to throw it shut with your muscles. I don't know of a single car that that a long power pull in. As for full power doors, I assume the X has full-power on the falcon doors but I am not sure how they behave if you pull them shut.

When I was a small child, I was inside an 80's GMC truck when the door was closed and my fingers were poking out outside. I was very unhappy but thankfully no damage. Yay for big panel gaps.
Oh I know...I remember had a first date many years ago and as she was getting in the car, I didn't notice she was holding the top frame and slammed the door almost crushing her fingers.

There was no second date.

Back to EVs....oh Brampton...as I always say, it's a spending problem, not an income problem...

Porsche Macan EV revealed

is it just me or is the pricing out to lunch? Canadian site showing 106k starting base price and turbo at $137
current ICE base Macan is 70k, top spec GTS is only 99k.
or buy a Cayenne for the same price and actually be able to haul stuff + people.

is it just me or is the pricing out to lunch? Canadian site showing 106k starting base price and turbo at $137
or buy a Cayenne for the same price and actually be able to haul stuff + people.
People will buy them. There is a Taycan Turbo S at the ski hill often. Young asian guy. $230K daily driver.

I'm excited for it, even though I'll never actually be able to afford it. But people will buy it, otherwise it wouldn't get made / sold here.

If it doesn't sell...they'll just drop the price.

My understanding from physics (and memory) is to double or half speed for a boat in water is roughly 8X factor in power required. Of course there are other variables but that is a good starting point. So speed is a big multiplier....

Many variables, it's not a linear line by any means when it comes to boats.

My sister and BIL have a 35' express cruiser that I've probably spent 100+ hours at the helm of - I'm typically the captain when we go on any sort of long trip as I have learned some mad skills at tight space maneuvering from years of boating in my youth.

When you first push the throttles forward and work on getting it up out of the water the engines are working at basically 100% load and just pushing a lot of water, but as it comes up onto plane and gets on top of the water, you trim the drives and adjust the trim tabs, the load is drastically reduced, and once at cruise you have to pull back the throttles a little even.

You can actually hear the engines unload as it comes up on step.

There's also gearing to take into consideration, both in the transmission/stern drivers, but the prop size and pitch as well.

Reality is setting in. Among all the cybertruck fails and Musk fails, plus they now have significant competitors, I think they've built too much production capacity too quickly, and have now reached a situation where they have more production capacity than demand. Their solution is price cuts, and that has ticked off existing owners (including Hertz and Sixt hire-cars) and ... it cuts directly into profits.

I don't think they're going bankrupt any time soon, but they'll become a smaller company, and they're going to have to deal with excess production capacity.

1/ People are getting sick of Musk and his stink is turning off potential customers now as well as shareholders. See: His stupiidy on X.

2/ Tesla has been insanely overvalued for many years for what they are, a correction has been overdue for a LONG time.

3/ The announcement of a magical $25K new car yesterday was met with well deserved skepticism given Musks track record of promises vs actual outcomes. See: Cybertruck, Tela Semi, the claimed $35K Model 3, "Full self driving" that was supposed to be around in 2017, 1 Million fully autonomous robotaxis by 2020, etc etc etc etc etc.

4/ Everyone except the Musk butt sniffers are either laughing, or mystified at his persistence on pushing forward with their stupid "humanoid robot" nonsense, particularly after the recent video where it came out that it was being remotely controlled, so presumably not even able to perform the simple task of folding a t-shirt solo despite initial claims it would be ready for production last year. This will be a money pit like the boring company and his other pet projects, which then become a financial drain and keeps his focus off Tesla when he really should be paying attention to it.. Also see: X, his brain implant/monkey killer projects.

At long last, and well deserved, the Musk shine is tarnished.

Still a sales champ! Keep production rolling...

The market agrees....They still "do it best"

Last edited:
Still a sales champ! Keep production rolling...

The market agrees....They still "do it best"

As the bow of the Titanic was literally slipping under the waves there was still people drinking in the 1st class lounges still firmly believing the ship was unsinkable.

Back
Top Bottom