Any GTAM'ers own an electric vehicle? | Page 440 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Any GTAM'ers own an electric vehicle?

There's a thriving hobbyist demand for end of life EV packs for these sorts of systems. Even when they're done being viable for an EV they still work awesome for storage systems.

The Volt packs are particularly well loved in the hobbyist community.
You've got to be really careful if you are using battery storage in your house. Lots of regulations around them. I had a plan but while it would have been entirely safe (located in a concrete room outside of the building envelope above grade but in the basement), it isn't allowed unless you apply for a site specific variation. Also, no homebrew allowed, it must be a manufactured assembly with an ANSI/CAN/UL 9540 rating.

You've got to be really careful if you are using battery storage in your house. Lots of regulations around them. I had a plan but while it would have been entirely safe (located in a concrete room outside of the building envelope above grade but in the basement), it isn't allowed unless you apply for a site specific variation. Also, no homebrew allowed, it must be a manufactured assembly with an ANSI/CAN/UL 9540 rating.

The way this reads you can't even have something like a big UPS to run your electronics in an outage.

Methinks it's a bit of an overkill in a lot of regards.

So does the Ford hate from the pickup truck transfer over to the Mach-E? I’m seeing considerable price drops for used models and when I stopped at the dealer last they had a boat full of them sitting around.

They cranked up the production capacity for Mach-E and apparently can now build more than what the market demands. Sales numbers Ford U.S. EV Sales Hit New Record In November 2023

not surprised E van sales dropped like a rock.

hideously expensive, and only (claimed) 126 miles of range. In winter and/or carrying loads, probably half that.

back to the drawing board.....

Last edited:
Just asked and my sister said it showed 430 km this morning on her Mach-E DMLR but I'm not sure if that's "dynamic" as that sounds overly good.

My Polestar 2 allows you to estimate range based on your driving, climate, etc which they call "dynamic" in the settings. Otherwise, it's called "standard" which is more optimistic.

Well this ain't great for the F150L...

The F150 Lightning (to me) seems like a phenomenal proposition (but too pricey). Utility of a pickup, roomy, safe, and efficient.

Just asked and my sister said it showed 430 km this morning on her Mach-E DMLR but I'm not sure if that's "dynamic" as that sounds overly good.

My Polestar 2 allows you to estimate range based on your driving, climate, etc which they call "dynamic" in the settings. Otherwise, it's called "standard" which is more optimistic.
430km is fantastic in this weather...if it's realistic.

Extrapolated full range on my Bolt as of this morning (-9 to -10 C) was around 300-ish. I didn't charge it to 100% because I didn't anticipate needing anywhere near a full charge today, and extrapolating that out to a full charge has its share of approximations - but Ancaster and back (150 km or thereabouts) used around half, so it's in the ballpark. Contrary to what social media would have people believe ... nothing bad happened.

Except for the average pickup driver who drives 30-100km a day on average who laughs and points at EV's and says how stupid they are because he "needs" one that goes 1000km on a charge.
People will always easily find fault with something they disagree with.

My needs are simple and unchanging. 300km in the cold, without a charge.

I’ve actually thought about it more…what should one look for in an EV nowadays? Heat pump? Charge rate? My Volt i didn’t worry much about those things…

I’ve actually thought about it more…what should one look for in an EV nowadays? Heat pump? Charge rate? My Volt i didn’t worry much about those things…
I have been looking and the bolt looks like the only reasonable priced option unfortunately. Everything better is too expensive does the 23 still use resistance heaters?

Sent from the future

Heat pump seems like a good idea in theory but a fail in implementation. Apparently most use the battery as the other side of the thermo circuit. The times you want the most heat inside the cabin, the battery probably has no extra heat to give (and may be wanting heat itself).

The problem with heat pumps is in temperature extremes, they are great for steady lowish output. Normal driving cycles (and driver conditioning) wants lots of heat quickly to condition a cabin that is far from desired conditions. Gas ICE is good for that, electric resistance is great for that, heat pumps are not great for that (unless significantly oversized or given significant time to precondition).

I suspect premium long-range ev's may eventually settle on an air source heat pump to handle steady demand with high efficiency and a grid to rapidly change temp. Shorter range ev's probably won't bother with that expense. Trips are probably shorter and on grid most of the time and aren't pushing for a huge range number. I have no idea how climate control is incorporated in range estimates. It is roughly immaterial in ICE but significant in BEV. If it doesn't hurt the sticker mileage, that makes manufacturers less likely to include the expensive heat pumps.

Back
Top Bottom