Any GTAM'ers own an electric vehicle? | Page 395 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Any GTAM'ers own an electric vehicle?

For something with such a sloped exterior hood, the driver's forward field of vision looks pretty awful. Does the dash actually slope upwards near the windscreen?

For something with such a sloped exterior hood, the driver's forward field of vision looks pretty awful. Does the dash actually slope upwards near the windscreen?
Maybe the window pops up like an old westfalia and that dash pad is a bed? Only half-kidding. That area is ridiculous.

Not sure why they couldn't have the driver forward more. Obviously it's a super wide angle lens but it looks like there is room between the drivers head and top edge of the window.

Not sure why they couldn't have the driver forward more. Obviously it's a super wide angle lens but it looks like there is room between the drivers head and top edge of the window.

Wheel-well intrusion. Driver's feet can't be into the wheel-well area unless the driver were to be pushed considerably inboard (due to the size of the wheels) and that would cause all sorts of other ergo problems. Many small cars in the past have had driver's feet (and pedals) inboard of the front wheel wells - but they have much smaller wheels and thus need much smaller wheel-wells while still allowing decent steer angle.

The new VW Buzz has the same situation.

Full-size vans and big-rigs don't have this issue because the floorboards are above the wheelwells with the whole seating position much higher.

In the walk-around video, it's clear that many of the "flat" panels aren't actually flat. The windshield isn't flat. Knew that was going to happen. Flat panels are terrible for stiffness and NVH.

And ... it is constructed as a unibody (granted - an advanced multi-material structure, but a unibody nevertheless) with bolt-on exterior skin panels that aren't structural. Not what I would consider an "exoskeleton" (structural exterior). Predicted that, too. And it's a better vehicle because of it.

I'm sure who there are some on here, who are following the new EV releases.

The latest Toyota EV review I read, they summed it up as "an EV that feels like a first effort"

As GMs offerings trickle out, the more I read, the less I'm convinced they got the battery design and tech right (yet) despite GMs big promises...

We won't even discuss the VinFAst

It's no wonder people are flocking to Teslas. They still do it best IMO.

The latest Toyota EV review I read, they summed it up as "an EV that feels like a first effort"

As GMs offerings trickle out, the more I read, the less I'm convinced they got the battery design and tech right (yet) despite GMs big promises...

Not surprised at all. With their latest price cuts, they are very hard to beat for the price.
And not just EVs. I have suggested it to 2 friends that were not looking at EVs or Teslas at all.
One had a highlander on order for more money, been over a year and still no ETA. Another was looking to replace an old mazda 3.
Both ordered a Y instead of their other choices. One was actually offered to take one home same day as their test drive.
Both drive longer distances regularly. Welland to Markham other Uxbridge to City and also trips to the States.

Hard to argue when the base Y is now cheaper than a RAV4 hybrid.

Ford has announced their next gen EVs will all use the tesla connector and be able to charge at Tesla superchargers with the Ford App. Looks like we will have some competition in Canada now.

My only concern with the Tesla world is the Tesla world. Things change, features pop up / disappear on a whim, and the horrendous stories of customer service / support of broken down cars and quality issues.

Outside of that...it's perfect.

Hard to argue when the base Y is now cheaper than a RAV4 hybrid.

Plus have you seen the inside of a new Toyota? Its like looking 15 years into the past.

I was pushing my parents to buy one instead of the Tuscon hybrid they just bought. They went to the Toyota dealer and didn't even want to drive it. My mom thought it was a downgrade from her current 2014 Chevy Trax LTZ...

Plus have you seen the inside of a new Toyota? Its like looking 15 years into the past.

I was pushing my parents to buy one instead of the Tuscon hybrid they just bought. They went to the Toyota dealer and didn't even want to drive it. My mom thought it was a downgrade from her current 2014 Chevy Trax LTZ...
Sadly not that surprised. Toyota and Honda have had their noses in the air for a long time. Too much ego is a dangerous thing. More than a decade ago we looked at a Rav. It was almost a 10 yo design at the time and Toyota still wanted thousands more than the competition. Easy choice for us. Haven't been back to a Toyota dealer since.

Sadly not that surprised. Toyota and Honda have had their noses in the air for a long time. Too much ego is a dangerous thing. More than a decade ago we looked at a Rav. It was almost a 10 yo design at the time and Toyota still wanted thousands more than the competition. Easy choice for us. Haven't been back to a Toyota dealer since.
I don't think anyone will accuse Toyota or Honda of being at the forefront of design/tech/whatever.

They're comfortable where they are, and I guess that's why they work...using older tech / platforms and get the bugs out.

A buddies current startup is Harbinger. They are targeting medium duty truck market (eg delivery vans). This is at least the fourth EV company that he has been intimately involved with. Afaik, none of them have delivered a vehicle. They were bought out or withered away. Harbinger is focusing on development of a skateboard and let body manufacturers wrap it as desired. Trying steer by wire which should be simple to install but I'm not at all sure that regulators will like that.

View attachment 61187
Not far off from a Mode 3.

seriously, you really wouldn't rather have a Model Y Performance over a used KIA at around the same price?

NO CONTEST.

The rear end on this thing is an abomination......

seriously, you really wouldn't rather have a Model Y Performance over a used KIA at around the same price?

NO CONTEST.

The rear end on this thing is an abomination......

I don't disagree...but a Hyundai dealership (I assume) will be easier to deal with than a Tesla service dealership.

I'm seeing posts of Model3 discounts in the US...wonder if that means they'll start dropping prices here to bring in more people considering...

Back
Top Bottom