Any GTAM'ers own an electric vehicle? | Page 370 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Any GTAM'ers own an electric vehicle?

if any of you guys are shopping for a Tesla, they are typically like Apple Inc, they rarely go on discount.

NOW is the time to buy. $5g rebates, and free supercharging.

Used Teslas are dropping as well.

Seize the moment, Tesla still does it BEST.

if any of you guys are shopping for a Tesla, they are typically like Apple Inc, they rarely go on discount.

NOW is the time to buy. $5g rebates, and free supercharging.

Used Teslas are dropping as well.

Seize the moment, Tesla still does it BEST.

Might want to wait. '04 Ford Model S,X, and Ys may be discounted even further. Scale of economics, and all.

It would be interesting to see what the investigation shows. Lots of people have pedal confusion or a medical issue and end up whisky throttle through a store window. Having a really fast car exacerbates the problem. Not having a key you and turn off and pull out does make an emergency shutdown harder (not a great idea as it would lock steering but easy to do from muscle memory and if nothing else was working, sometimes a bad option is the best option). That's not only a tesla issue though, most vehicles probably don't have conventional keys anymore.

Agree but that was a long time for someone to have pedal confusion albeit not if someone had a medical issue with the pedal planted ... it's in China so I doubt we'll ever know the truth.

Pedal misapplication happening with someone whose mental facilities aren't quite all there, can lead to a situation like this. In their mind, they are already stepping on the brake pedal, so their reaction to the car speeding up is for them to step harder on what they think is the brake pedal (but it's the accelerator ...), leading to complete mental freak-out. Sober second thought - "what could be going wrong, what else could I do to stop this" - goes out the window, and then you have this.

In the Audi 5000 situation a few decades ago, the people who were involved in these situations were absolutely convinced in their mind that they were stepping on the brake pedal, even though they were stepping on the accelerator pedal.

I'm sure people died in that crash. RIP.

The decision a hundred years ago, to have the same type of control action cause the car to speed up as to cause it to slow down, and using control devices that are immediately adjacent to each other, isn't one that can readily be changed.

That's only a complete functional vehicle in someone's imagination.

Did some digging, found this: APMA – Project Arrow

Perusing the list of project partners ... this is a university research project, as I suspected. There's nothing wrong with that, student engineers need projects to practice their skills on. (I did the same ... many, many years ago.)

Companies involved are listed here: Arrow – APMA – Project Arrow

There are some big ones involved. ArcelorMittal is a worldwide steel supplier. Dana - drivetrain components. Martinrea is a big OEM auto parts supplier. Michelin is obvious. Toyota is obvious. There's a couple of companies that make interior components. Autodesk i.e. AutoCAD is probably how they drew it up. Siemens is a worldwide electrical supplier. Pfaff - car dealers. Lenovo - computers. Meridian makes magnesium castings. Several Canadian universities are involved.

The few million in government funding are a drop in the bucket. For these companies, there's name recognition, and it's worthwhile to invest in the skills of upcoming engineering students ... it may look like a make-work project for the co-op students, but you can sure tell who the good ones are, and hire them.

Last edited:
We are at the Model T stage. I'm expecting huge increases within the next 10 years, or the whole thing will fall falt on it's face. I salute and encourage all the pioneer EV owners in building knowledge and real world statistics for the manufacturers to make in future improvements.. When it's all over and I'm still alive, I can make a very knowedgeable choice. In the meantime I feel comfortable in my 5.2l/100 km hatchback/"mini-pickup".:giggle:

knock em all you want, they are incredibly safe and well engineered....

"When a Tesla SUV traveling at more than 75 mph plunged off a 250-foot cliff this month, something unexpected happened: all four passengers survived."

they still do it best... see post 2
That's far more luck than engineering. Lots of people get shot at in non-armored vehicles and survive as well.

knock em all you want, they are incredibly safe and well engineered....

"When a Tesla SUV traveling at more than 75 mph plunged off a 250-foot cliff this month, something unexpected happened: all four passengers survived."

they still do it best... see post 2
Oh i feel much better now. It's safe to drive off a cliff with Elon's technology. Hahaha.

We are at the Model T stage. I'm expecting huge increases within the next 10 years......:giggle:
Back to my point about the beginning of any new technology. The Atlantic article on the madness of ridiculous equivalent horsepower needed to pull (from light to light) a 3 ton vehicle all to get a 70 kilogram person to their destination. EVs Bringing Out the Worst in Us .

We still have a long way to go. Even Tesla just announced they recreated the motor which no longer will have an inner core that rotates abound an outer magnetic case. It will have no moving parts!!!! Edison Jr. at his finest.

Governments are leaving road taxes for EVs alone for now. Road taxes on gas partially fund road maintenance and repair, the burden is still 100% on ICE vehicles. Ironic that EVs with their massive weight do more to damage roads than ICE! So in these pioneer days EVs get a pass on road tax, but one day it will be there, and there go the so-called savings on EV ownership even though there are no real savings overall and costing double ICE. The only appeal right now is novelty, but I too old for that. o_O

Last edited:
If the market wasn’t so silly as it is today I’d be getting rid of my Volt tomorrow. But as it stands any newer used car is insane and while my Volt is probably worth more than what I paid for it…still wouldn’t make it worth it.

But I’m going to look into a BMW 330xi wagon just in case.

Back
Top Bottom