Any GTAM'ers own an electric vehicle? | Page 202 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Any GTAM'ers own an electric vehicle?

Your normal average corner gas station is not going to allow a customer to reconnect a gas pump to a portable generator, particularly one that isn't their own. You can't just unplug the cord from the gas pump from a receptacle and plug it into a receptacle on your portable generator. It's all hard wired back to their distribution panel inside the building somewhere. A normal average corner gas station isn't going to have their own back-up generator, either.

This is one of those things that may be theoretically possible, but it's not a practical reality. The practical reality is that if the grid power is down, the gas pumps are down.

Ok, let me rephrase. Unless you have already invested ~$25,000 in off grid infrastructure you cant charge your bev. For rough numbers, one kwh per panel per day is reasonable. Assuming you want to charge your model S in three days (assuming you dont have storage batteries $$$), you need 33 panels at 15 sq ft each or roughly 500 sq ft of panels.

I agree on all fronts - it's an expensive proposition upfront that most EV owners don't partake in, but it is an option that completely removes your reliance on the grid.

Lets remember however that most people aren't trying to charge their EV from empty in these scenarios, either. They had plenty of notice the power was going off - Tesla even programmed their cars to flash a warning on the screen telling people to charge to 100% beforehand. Everyone made sure they were charged fully before the power was turned off. So, most people are only going to be "topping off" after making essential drives, something that could be accomplished in a handful of hours using even a modest solar setup.

In fairness, a lot of that complexity isn't that it's an EV, it's fulfilling a certain Elon Musk's dreams of having the car do everything itself.

Door has to open and close itself? Needs an actuator to open and close the door. Needs sensors to detect if it's going to hit an obstruction. Needs another actuator to actually open and close the latch. Plus the one for that fancy flush mounted door handle that pops out when you want to use it ... another actuator. And we're not even talking about the falcon-wing doors, which have that plus more. And because the only place you can put the main door actuator is close to the hinge, it doesn't have much leverage, which means it needs to be really strong, and then it puts a lot of stress into the hinges and the mechanism that actually does the opening and closing, and it seems that some of that is not up to the task in the long term.

In fairness, a lot of that complexity isn't that it's an EV, it's fulfilling a certain Elon Musk's dreams of having the car do everything itself.

This made me laugh.

48929819016_7b3bce44c6_b.jpg

Haters can keep hating, the Elon machine keeps on humming....

Tesla Q3 results :

- Shanghai Giga ahead of schedule
- Model Y ahead of schedule
- Solar installs +48% from Q2
- GAAP profitable
- Positive free cash flow

Haters can keep hating, the Elon machine keeps on humming....

Tesla Q3 results :

- Shanghai Giga ahead of schedule
- Model Y ahead of schedule
- Solar installs +48% from Q2
- GAAP profitable
- Positive free cash flow
Humming along while they burn homes and walmarts down with their defective solar systems. He's gotten bored of that project and moved on without cleaning up the mess. It bodes well for the long term prospects of his cars.

Agreed Wingboy. Found this humorous as well...
View attachment 41321
awesome. Well, you gotta do what you gotta do. If there is a spot on a well-travelled route without the required grid capacity, the generator keeps you going. It would be interesting to see how pricing works with it though. It should cost more per km than an ICE car to fill from that.

crazy discovery

Shedding new light on charging lithium-ion batteries
Date:
October 31, 2019
Source:
DOE/Argonne National Laboratory
Summary:
Researchers have discovered a photo-excitation process that speeds up the charging of lithium-ion batteries. If commercialized, such technology could be a game changer for electric vehicles.
Share:

FULL STORY
Exposing cathodes to light decreases charge time by a factor of two in lithium-ion batteries.

Well, after several years of not having or needing a pickup truck, I needed one a few days ago for the first time to pickup a few sheets of drywall.

A buddy helped me out. All he wanted was for me to buy the coffee next time we are at Coffee Time together.

Pretty sure I'm still far ahead on car vs truck ownership. ;)

And hey, my car still gets stuff to the dump nicely. ~600# of old laminate flooring and various demo material on it's way in this load. It's amazing what a hatchback can hold when the rear seats are folded down.

IMG_1642.jpg

I kinda miss my Gen 1 Volt in all honesty. Not paying for gas, the quiet ride, instant torque were all great things.

Trying to figure out what my next move will be. Part of me wants a fun car, and part of me wants (needs) a practical car. A Gen1 and a Miata / older Mustang GT would fit the budget fairly well I think of approx 25k.

Looks like the Mach-E will be at or slightly under the price point of the Model Y.

I was guessing that it was going to be much more expensive so that’s a pleasant surprise.

Looks like the Mach-E will be at or slightly under the price point of the Model Y.

I was guessing that it was going to be much more expensive so that’s a pleasant surprise.

And did I read 370-mile range somewhere? That's a nice surprise as well!

Edit: It looks like I was exaggerating! 300-mile range that declines as you add bells and whistles. Looks like a subjectively nicer Mazda CX5

Mach-E leak reveals a lot about Ford's electric Mustang SUV

Last edited:
Interesting video:
Can You Charge A Tesla By Towing It? (With Ford Raptor)

Back
Top Bottom