Any GTAM'ers own an electric vehicle? | Page 189 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Any GTAM'ers own an electric vehicle?

E-Tron

8c6a5f0032bba5e2e625c30feb126687.jpg
Audi is going to sell some product no question there.

Tesla is the Tommy Hilfiger of automobiles.

I finally picked up my Model 3 this week.

Congrats on the M3. Keep us up to date on how the ownership experience goes.

But I'll agree, ouch on the price tag.

Since we own EV's for the financial savings I couldn't swallow that sort of price for an EV. Even the price on our Ioniq stretched the boundaries of sensibility from that perspective, but it's adding up fast - we've put 10,000KM on the car since buying it under 3 months ago. We are driving it a lot of places that we would have otherwise been switching to gas on the Volt, and of course doing it all electric. The car is hovering around 225KM on the GOM right now - it would be higher by around 25KM or so, but since we suddenly switched from April conditions to the furnaces of hell conditions, needless to say the AC has been working overtime pretty much constantly.

The car is performing well and my wife is really liking it.

I can assure you the germans are quite worried. There was one report that said the Germans, I think Audi or MB, took apart a Tesla and were mesmerized at how well engineered and put together it was. Their engineers were sent back to the drawing boards and set their project behind a number of months.

Makes sense to me, I still haven't seen any competition from any of the germans..... except for all their "coming soon" and vapor ware models we've been seeing in drawings.

p.s. The Altima is a lame duck, doesn't even come close to a Camry or Accord. NIssan is a japanese GM, lackluster all across the board.
Yes, I know the gGermans are worried and shaking in their Stiefel.

May sales numbers for eTRON are probably making them feel better... they booked and shipped more units than Tesla in Germany and Norway, the only 2 major markets where eTRONs are widely available.

Does it come as a pickup truck?

Now you've opened a stinky can of worms. Define pickup truck.
Something I can haul a dirt bike around in and go to the dump that is 10 miles away. Vehicle is kind of useless otherwise.

and how are they ever going to power heat and air conditioning in these things without killing your range? or do you just put a camp heater inside the cab and drive with the windows open :|

... oh and a generator lol I need to be able to haul a propane or gas generator around. I might need to charge it.

Something I can haul a dirt bike around in and go to the dump that is 10 miles away. Vehicle is kind of useless otherwise.

and how are they ever going to power heat and air conditioning in these things without killing your range? or do you just put a camp heater inside the cab and drive with the windows open :|

... oh and a generator lol I need to be able to haul a propane or gas generator around. I might need to charge it.
Heat pumps with backup resistance heat (backup heat obviously smokes range).

I don't need a pickup, just a trailer hitch. Obviously that will entail a range hit, but I'm not normally towing long distances.

Been to the dump many times with my Volt. Odd, with the rear seats down I miraculously have a ton of space.

You should look into heat pumps. Many EV's have them nowadays including our Ioniq. Kilowatt chewing resistance heat is rarely needed.

Exactly how many kilometers a day do you need to drive? The old and busted "I'll buy an EV when it can go 1000KM on a charge" thing is the commonly trotted out excuse by many when in reality these same people rarely drive over 100KM/day.

BTW, you can't charge an EV from a generator.

Been to the dump many times with my Volt. Odd, with the rear seats down I miraculously have a ton of space.

Exactly how many kilometers a day do you need to drive? The old and busted "I'll buy an EV when it can go 1000KM on a charge" thing is the commonly trotted out excuse by many when in reality these same people rarely drive over 100KM/day.

BTW, you can't charge an EV from a generator.
Ew, garbage stinks I'm not putting that inside my cab.
Need to make costco kingston and back lol lets call it 100km each way. Trials event in Bruce Peninsula, Rivière -du-Loup or Alma PQ might pose a problem.
How about an inverter generator? Peddle generator? :| current bush?

I was just watching an EE video on a long (2000 mile) Tesla 3 trip. It worked but it would drive me absolutely nuts. Drive for 200 miles (~3 hours), then charge for 50 minutes. FFS, if I'm going far, I just want to go, not stop 25% of the time.

For the vast majority of the people, the vast majority of the time, this does not matter though. For the one week a year you are going on a driving trip, if if bothers you rent an ICE. The rest of the time it would work fine for me (although not at the current initial cost).

Ew, garbage stinks I'm not putting that inside my cab.
Need to make costco kingston and back lol lets call it 100km each way.
How about an inverter generator? Peddle generator? :| current bush?
100 km each way is easily achievable by most EV now.

EDIT:
Most competent EV. Some are still turds like the i3.

100 km each way is easily achievable by most EV now.

EDIT:
Most competent EV. Some are still turds like the i3.
That's ok, I've driven turds before.

Pickup? This is one thing that really perplexes me -- why no pickups? Existing chassis are near perfect for conversion.
  1. Remove the engine, transmission and transfer case and you have room for 1200lbs of battery. Remove the 100l fuel tanks and use the tank space for another 600lbs of batteries. So... you have a cab and chassis that has no change in weight and weight distribution after piling in the batteries.
  2. Exchange the diffs for motors. A Tesls S motor cranks out 250+ hp from an 80lb package, that's about the same as the weight of a diff.
Now you have 130kwh of batteries and the ability to put 500+hp and 400lbs of torque to 4 wheels - gotta work for most pickup users.

Why is getting to a truck so difficult?

Pickup? This is one thing that really perplexes me -- why no pickups? Existing chassis are near perfect for conversion.
  1. Remove the engine, transmission and transfer case and you have room for 1200lbs of battery. Remove the 100l fuel tanks and use the tank space for another 600lbs of batteries. So... you have a cab and chassis that has no change in weight and weight distribution after piling in the batteries.
  2. Exchange the diffs for motors. A Tesls S motor cranks out 250+ hp from an 80lb package, that's about the same as the weight of a diff.
Now you have 130kwh of batteries and the ability to put 500+hp and 400lbs of torque to 4 wheels - gotta work for most pickup users.

Sounds like a Ridgeline. Nope, not a truck.

Our Ioniq goes ~200KM on a charge and it's a lightweight in the range department compared to things like the Bolt and Teslas.

And it charges back to 85-90% in about 18-20 minutes, the time it takes you to stop and enjoy a piss, a coffee, and a donut.

Reminder for those who missed it - we bough the Ioniq in Quebec and somehow managed (sarcasm) to get it home with zero problems or hassle.

Something like a Bolt or a Tesla with a big battery will take you ~400KM and charges to full on a DC fast charger in the time it takes you to eat a sit down lunch somewhere.

And you should take a look at the charging infrastructure in Quebec - they are MILES ahead of us in EV adoption. There's 19 chargers (3 of them DC Fast) in Riviere du loup. There's 14 including on DCFC in Alma. Bruce Peninsula doesn't present a problem either, there's 7 chargers in Owen sound, one being DCFC. There's even one in Tobermory, too.

Spend some time looking at www.plugshare.com. It's eye opening to most EV pessimists.

I think it is straight economics. Right now, the biggest baddest pickup trucks are 70K+ with a ton of margin for the manufacturer. You could make an electric truck and sell it for a similar price but there would be no margin. Maybe they slot one in at 100K so they keep the margin and see if there are any takers? I don't know. Too much money for me.

The may also have a COG issue with the battery a few feet up in the air and a load capacity issue as the empty truck is now much heavier.

Because as someone who actually owns 2 EV's, I can tell you that there's 2 realities:

1/ The "Big bad growling coal rolling yahoo hold my beer!" pickup truck crowd thinks "electric vehicles" are just tree hugger mobiles that only go 25KM before being stranded on the side of the road and need a tow truck, and couldn't pull themselves out a wet paper bag. And they don't really care to be educated to the otherwise.

2/ Big batteries still cost a lot and cuts profit margins. Pickup trucks are profit pigs for the manufacturers and ICE is tried and true..and cheap for them now. Batteries cost more and will hurt their margins. Until such time that they are somehow FORCED to move forward and away from ICE, the costs are subsidized somewhat, or battery costs come down (probably a mix of both, but some will decry the former 2 as we saw from previous experiences) things are unlikely to change.

IMHO the biggest failing the manufacturers are having at this point in time is not stressing the COST SAVINGS of driving electric. People could literally save the cost of their payment every month driving on electricity vs gas, but 90% of people don't understand that. Many still think that EV's cost MORE to operate...because "OMG my hydro bill at home is already so high!!?". Then they go pump $150 of gas into their pickup truck which lasts them a week. They don't get it.

If manufacturers laid it on the line and said "3000KM/month on electric= $100 in electricity vs vs $600 in gas" (both numbers just pulled out of thin air, but probably not far off) there ARE a certain segment of the pickup truck crowd that would sit up and take notice.

But by doing that, the manufacturers would actually drive demand, and honestly, I'm not sure they genuinely WANT that right now when they can make $30K profit from an ICE pickup, but maybe only $10K profit from an EV pickup.

Back
Top Bottom