Any GTAM'ers own an electric vehicle? | Page 186 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Any GTAM'ers own an electric vehicle?

Aha ok, yeah, that makes sense. Tesla specific chargers use a different style plug (Tesla proprietary, non standardized) so non Tesla vehicles can't use them. And the computer in the chargers wouldn't play nice and would tell you to get lost even if they did. ;)

Booked a Model S 90D for pickup in LAX for my 2 day stopover.
Looking forward to vista-jumping-camping out of the backseats.

Will search this forum for recommendations, but main idea is to drive to either Sierra/Yosemite peaks/lookout vistas, and to wake up to spectacular views. Anyone have a park pass I can borrow? jk.. maybe

Also.... some drywall.

fd4724b0debb190418ad3c63b1953475.jpg

What? No EV with trailer parking? Had to slum it with the ICE vehicles?

I need a trailer like that for my Volt. Picking up lumber and home reno stuff would be so much easier.

I need a trailer like that for my Volt. Picking up lumber and home reno stuff would be so much easier.
Although I would hesitate to call it good, my harbor freight special folding trailer is still going strong more than 10 years later. It has saved me many thousands in truck rentals/delivery fees.

@PP...how do you like the Ioniq? We're planning on trading in the cars on the minivan in a few weeks and even though I really want a sports car....when I'm back in the city I'll probably pick up another EV for the commuting. Would love 300-350km range but within my price range (<25k) it won't happen.

Might still get a little sports car if the budget is right...but reality is reality :(

What? No EV with trailer parking? Had to slum it with the ICE vehicles?

Sometimes I park in the contractor parking spaces just for fun!

Although I would hesitate to call it good, my harbor freight special folding trailer is still going strong more than 10 years later. It has saved me many thousands in truck rentals/delivery fees.

Mine is a 4’4” x 8’ folding trailer. I’d guess it weighs about 400lbs. It’s about 20 years old, it a HF version but pretty similar.

Works pretty well. I have removable sides I can use when taking stuff to the dump, etc.

@PP...how do you like the Ioniq? We're planning on trading in the cars on the minivan in a few weeks and even though I really want a sports car....when I'm back in the city I'll probably pick up another EV for the commuting. Would love 300-350km range but within my price range (<25k) it won't happen.

Might still get a little sports car if the budget is right...but reality is reality :(

I've only driven it maybe 1000KM (my wife many more) but we are both impressed and happy.

It's no Tesla, lets put it that way, and it doesn't feel as "Geeky" (if I can put it that way) as my first gen volt, nor the second gen. But the range is nice...and the quick charging ability means that even when we're travelling more than 200KM in a day, we just pickup a quick fast charge somewhere and we're on our way again in short order. Reality is...we've only needed that once since we owned it, aside from the trip back from Montreal originally.

And that's really not as big a deal as some would have people believe. 10, 20 minutes while you're having a piss and grabbing a coffee somewhere after 2 hours of driving (so you're due for a stop anyways) and you're on your way again..

The interior has it's interesting bits - the push button shifter that's specific to the Ioniq is pretty cool, it has some EV only colours and trim specifics that the other Hybrid and PHEV Ioniq's don't get, and it has a bit of a disco-dash (but nothing like even the second Gen volt much less a Tesla or whatnot) but it's comfortable, performs well, and is very efficient.

And yes, the price is right - quite happy with trading off some range (that face it, we won't need or use 98% of the time) to save a ton of money in the purchase price.

How bad did towing the trailer whack the range, Caboose? The GOM took a downward hit as well I'm guessing for a while afterwards until it recalibrated? ;)

Performed OK as well?

How bad did towing the trailer whack the range, Caboose? The GOM took a downward hit as well I'm guessing for a while afterwards until it recalibrated? ;)

Performed OK as well?

Lowes is only 2km from home so it didn’t really affect the GOM or range on that charge.

Towing the same trailer with a dirtbike on it had a surprisingly small effect on range. That was about 250km round trip. IIRC that was 15km in the city then 30km on the highway at 120kph

I don’t need the trailer very often but it’s super handy when I do. Typically it’s short trips.

The comments on that video are hilarious - blaming the repair shop for not being able to remove the roof/rear glass without breaking it. And perhaps that's true.

But so what? On any other car, the repair shop orders another window, gets it in a day or two, puts it in, and life goes on. (The customer probably wouldn't even know it had happened. Or maybe a "We broke the rear window while taking it out, so you've got a new one." and it wouldn't even be a delay, because the part would have arrived before the rest of the paint and re-assembly was done anyhow.) Tesla? Nightmare that takes weeks to resolve.

The train wreck that is Tesla collision repair continues.

Ouch. 3 months and counting for a tiny fender bender. I wonder why the lead time on any part is two weeks or more? Maybe their supply line doesn't have the capacity to feed the assembly line and repairs so the assembly has been prioritized?

I've only driven it maybe 1000KM (my wife many more) but we are both impressed and happy.

It's no Tesla, lets put it that way, and it doesn't feel as "Geeky" (if I can put it that way) as my first gen volt, nor the second gen. But the range is nice...and the quick charging ability means that even when we're travelling more than 200KM in a day, we just pickup a quick fast charge somewhere and we're on our way again in short order. Reality is...we've only needed that once since we owned it, aside from the trip back from Montreal originally.

And that's really not as big a deal as some would have people believe. 10, 20 minutes while you're having a piss and grabbing a coffee somewhere after 2 hours of driving (so you're due for a stop anyways) and you're on your way again..

The interior has it's interesting bits - the push button shifter that's specific to the Ioniq is pretty cool, it has some EV only colours and trim specifics that the other Hybrid and PHEV Ioniq's don't get, and it has a bit of a disco-dash (but nothing like even the second Gen volt much less a Tesla or whatnot) but it's comfortable, performs well, and is very efficient.

And yes, the price is right - quite happy with trading off some range (that face it, we won't need or use 98% of the time) to save a ton of money in the purchase price.
Cool thanks for the response. It's still at least a year away but it's come up a few times. I'm also considering the Gen 2 Volt when I finish up in BC but for now with another year left it seems like a major waste to just keep the car in the garage for such minimal usage.

Ouch. 3 months and counting for a tiny fender bender. I wonder why the lead time on any part is two weeks or more? Maybe their supply line doesn't have the capacity to feed the assembly line and repairs so the assembly has been prioritized?

Incompetence, is the only thing I can think of. They're so short of cash flow that they haven't spent the money on having a parts distribution infrastructure.

It's not that hard to have three or four parts warehouses spread around the continent that have a few of every part for every car model in stock. It's not that hard to divert a parts batch from assembly line to the warehouse to replenish stock when needed. It costs something to have those warehouses, it costs something to package up and track parts in inventory, etc. But it has to be done.

Common parts should be in dealer / service center stock, and that should include the most common bolt-on collision-repair parts: bumper skins, bumper crash bar assemblies, front fenders, door skins, windshields, trunk lids, taillights, headlights, hoods. A customer order for a list of part numbers shouldn't be a calamity!

That a minor prang like this damaged structure underneath the bumper resulting in a really expensive repair bill ... is a bodyshell-design issue. Rear bumper probably really should stick out a wee bit further from the vehicle. Tesla isn't the only vehicle that has this issue, although some others have done something about it. The current Ford Escape has a hatch that extends down into the bumper, but the rearmost/lowermost piece is a separate replaceable item, so that a minor bumper hit doesn't necessarily destroy the entire hatch assembly.

Cool thanks for the response. It's still at least a year away but it's come up a few times. I'm also considering the Gen 2 Volt when I finish up in BC but for now with another year left it seems like a major waste to just keep the car in the garage for such minimal usage.

I thought very carefully about the Gen2 Volt. My BIL owns one (bought brand new in 2018 after our initial purchase and seeing how much we enjoyed our Gen1's) and he works within 1KM from my wifes workplace (401 and DVP area) and lives a few KM closer in North Whitby. In the summer he can get to and from work (~95KM for him) with 5-8KM electric range to spare when he pulls in his driveway. But we are about 5KM further (my wifes commute is pretty much right on 100KM total) and she also drives more aggressively vs my BIL, so I figured even in the summer she'd still be using gas in the end.

In the winter he makes it to work and maybe 25% of the way home before he's on gas, so all winter long...my wife would still be using gas.

Our goal was to get off gas to enjoy the savings, so going full EV with the Ioniq made sense vs the Volt.

Price was about the same in the end as well as what we would have paid for a 2017 Volt vs the 2017 Ioniq.

^ The system that I had involvement with, had leak detection equipment in all critical areas. It's impossible to provide leak detection for every single fitting but it ought to be provided in any area that could be a confined space, indoors, where people are working, and at connection points for refilling.

Hydrogen is extremely difficult to contain. Dealing with it ... is not cheap.

Back
Top Bottom