Any GTAM'ers own an electric vehicle? | Page 185 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Any GTAM'ers own an electric vehicle?

oh, It definitely happened, but investigators haven't found out why yet.

but that isn't the issue. If you compare the two articles between elektrek and the Norway one there is a clear spin for obvious reasons on Electreks part :

False journalism, fake news, propaganda, embellishment, twisting, distorting, whatever you want to call it. It applies here to Elektreks article. Sorry.

Can you please point out 1 inaccuracy in either of those articles...
Calling "Fake news" implies the articles are lying or not true.

Can you please point out 1 inaccuracy in either of those articles...
Calling "Fake news" implies the articles are lying or not true.
Almost any time I hear someone screaming about fake news, they are substituting their own reality and ignoring viewpoints that oppose their own. Sunny has proven to be dedicated to his views, so I don't expect real world events to change that.

The hilarious side effect of this one fire is that the entire distribution network has been suspended so anyone with a hydrogen car is completely stuck for an indeterminate time (and potentially forever). The chance of that happening overnight for dino fuel or electricity is close to zero.

Almost any time I hear someone screaming about fake news, they are substituting their own reality and ignoring viewpoints that oppose their own. Sunny has proven to be dedicated to his views, so I don't expect real world events to change that.

The hilarious side effect of this one fire is that the entire distribution network has been suspended so anyone with a hydrogen car is completely stuck for an indeterminate time (and potentially forever). The chance of that happening overnight for dino fuel or electricity is close to zero.

Credit where credit is due here guys, he did seem to cover all of the bases, particularly at the end:

"False journalism, fake news, propaganda, embellishment, twisting, distorting, whatever you want to call it."

Reactions: LBV
Oh no's, a pro Electric fanboy car site named "elektrek" which is 90% Tesla news based.... has declared possibly "the end" of all Hydrogen.... what a surprise!

Like I said in the some 100s of pages of this thread, I don't subscribe to #fakenews
Wait wait wait.

I said much the same thing to you pages back when you were pulling data from Electric sources.

Pot.Kettle.Black.

Whose got the goal post meme? @FullMotoJacket

oh, It definitely happened, but investigators haven't found out why yet.

but that isn't the issue. If you compare the two articles between elektrek and the Norway one there is a clear spin for obvious reasons on Electreks part :

False journalism, fake news, propaganda, embellishment, twisting, distorting, whatever you want to call it. It applies here to Elektreks article. Sorry.

No, it's unsubstantiated news (and only hours old at that time, at that). Show us an article where Toyota and Hyundai have come out and said they are continuing to offer their hydrogen vehicles for sale or another source that states that sales going forward will be unaffected and then you can call it "fake news". Until then, your post get's filed in the Sunny S' Usual Bleating folder.

The slant on the Elektrek article was quite obvious. Clearly pro electric, which is fine, thats the audience they cater too. It's their spin on the article that made me laugh.

It's good that they didn't cover the Boeing Max fiasco, or they'd be telling us that this could be the end of all air travel, and we should all use Teslas to get to our destination now.

Just stick to proper journalism like the Norway article did.

The slant on the Elektrek article was quite obvious.

So you're not going to post anything that refutes their reporting that Toyota and Hyundai have halted sales of their hydrogen vehicles. Colour me surprised.

goal-trolley.gif

Stopping the hydrogen distribution network (what little of it there is) and stopping sales of hydrogen-fuel-cell vehicles, I would call "overreaction" ... unless suitable investigation found that the whole distribution network had inadequate protection against leaks and fires.

There was also a fire in California on June 2, though the article is light on details so it may not be related to hydrogen fuel cell vehicles directly.

As usual, CAR and DRIVER provides a well researched, informative and balanced report. No false news here.

No false news? There's NO news. Just a rehashing of old facts and an op-ed.

Show us an article where Toyota and Hyundai have come out and said they are continuing to offer their hydrogen vehicles for sale or another source that states that sales going forward will be unaffected and then you can call it "fake news"

giphy.gif

No false news? There's NO news. Just a rehashing of old facts and an op-ed.

giphy.gif

Here's what you need to know, about 10 posts ago, I dismissed the Elektrik article.

Car and Driver did the same thing.

at least two times, C and D says "reportedly" they have stopped selling vehicles. and later on when referring to the stop sell.... "other reports claim" and "if true"...

No fake news here, despite a well written and researched article, it appears they couldn't confirm what Elektrek reported with their usual drum banging style (as well as the comical Inside EV headliner). As usual, Car and Driver, did their research and didn't accept "Elektrics" take on the stop sales.

but it must be true, even though Car and Driver with their excellent reputation and infinite resources when it comes to automotive, couldn't confirm (you honestly think they don't have the upper crust Toyota and Hyundai ppls contact information?)

But wait...... ELEKTREK said so..... LOL>........ fake news....

Last edited:

Within Ontario - Looks like decent spacing along two main corridors - Toronto to Hwy 400 to points west along the TransCanada Highway in Ontario, and Highway 401 from Quebec to Toronto, although from there to Windsor it's a little sparse ... it's about 120 km from Milton to Dorchester, and from Dorchester to Windsor (about 200 km) there's nothing, although there are other choices aside from PetroCanada.

The Petro Canada chargers will be a nice addition to the corridors, no question. How much they will cost remains to be seen - pricing is all over the map for fast L3 charger convenience, ranging from slightly less than equivalent cost of gas...to some that are a huge gouge and cost more over what a ICE would have burned for the same distance if you're only charging for a quickie - some stations charge a flat fee to start and then per minute, others only charge per minute with no startup fee. I took the Ioniq to the other side of Hamilton last weekend and had to pickup a ~25%>80% L3 charge at a Scotiabank L3 location on my route - it cost $7.90 for what amounted to ~175KM of charge. Still not terrible, and cheaper than gas still, but hardly a steal. The FLO charger at the Canadian Tire in Hamilton is considerably cheaper, but it was off my route, so I paid for the convenience of location.

The Petro Canada chargers will be a nice addition to the corridors, no question. How much they will cost remains to be seen - pricing is all over the map for fast L3 charger convenience, ranging from slightly less than equivalent cost of gas...to some that are a huge gouge and cost more over what a ICE would have burned for the same distance if you're only charging for a quickie - some stations charge a flat fee to start and then per minute, others only charge per minute with no startup fee. I took the Ioniq to the other side of Hamilton last weekend and had to pickup a ~25%>80% L3 charge at a Scotiabank L3 location on my route - it cost $7.90 for what amounted to ~175KM of charge. Still not terrible, and cheaper than gas still, but hardly a steal. The FLO charger at the Canadian Tire in Hamilton is considerably cheaper, but it was off my route, so I paid for the convenience of location.

How does pricing work for charging? For instance, does it change quite often like gas? Has anyone implemented demand pricing yet where it is cheaper to charge when it is less busy and/or electricity rates are lower? Or is it much simpler and each network uses a consistent price structure so if you pull into a Brand B charger you know you are going to pay X dollars to start and Y dollars per kwh?

Lots of details on the plugshare app, or plugshare.com. Every "brand" of EV charger network tends to charge differently, but the heavy hitters (Flo, MyEvRoute, Chargepoint) tend to be consistent. The prices almost never change, unlike gas.

Most L3's charge by the minute to discourage people from just leaving their car plugged in and going shopping for a few hours while others who may need that charger sit waiting - it would be the same as pumping gas at a gas station and then leaving your car sitting at the pump to go for lunch.

Some networks however charge a "start" fee - MyEvRoute for example is $3.95 or something like that the second you start your charge, and then a per minute rate. On my session above I was there for 19 minutes and picked up 15.01Kwh at a cost of $7.90. Had It been convenient for me to go to the FLO charger at the Canadian Tire instead it's a flat rate of $20/hour, or $0.33/minute, so that same 19 minute would have cost $6.33 instead.

The kicker is...the chargers with the flat rate startup fee right out of the gate tend to be a little cheaper per minute IF you're going to charge more than 20-25 minutes. If you're only charging for, say, 10 minutes however....the FLO example above would be drastically less expensive as you would have only paid $3.30, but the EvRoute charger would have been in the range of $5-6 still.

This is where the big chains coming onboard (IE, PetroCanada) will be good since EV drivers can expect consistency. Right now I heavily lean towards Flo stations whenever I can as I know they're well priced, well maintained, and reliable.

Thankfully plugshare tends to have all the info you could need however, including lots of complaints about ridiculously priced chargers that will help EV travellers like us avoid them, simply going elsewhere.

This is where the big chains coming onboard (IE, PetroCanada) will be good since EV drivers can expect consistency. Right now I heavily lean towards Flo stations whenever I can as I know they're well priced, well maintained, and reliable.

Thankfully plugshare tends to have all the info you could need however, including lots of complaints about ridiculously priced chargers that will help EV travellers like us avoid them, simply going elsewhere.
Thanks. I've still never seen a vehicle plugged into the chargers near the office so I looked them up to see if pricing was the reason. Apparently Tesla's charge free and peons pay $1.50/hr for 208V/30A. Not that cheap, but not scary expensive.

$1.50/hour for Level 2 (30A) is fairly common. It takes our Ioniq about 4 hours to charge from low battery to full at L2 (for a result of 225-250KM this time of year) so it's still cheaper than gas, it's just more time consuming. Fine if you're stopped for a few hours or something anyways, but if you're travelling the L3's are the only option to get charged fast and moving again.

What location shows free for Teslas and others $1.50/hour? Since there's very little data that changes hands between the car and the charger on the L2 protocol (vs L3, in which quite a bit changes hands, so the charger knows more about what it's plugged into) I'm not sure how an L2 station would be able to identify what's plugged in and be free for some, and charge for others - that's very unusual.

$1.50/hour for Level 2 (30A) is fairly common. It takes our Ioniq about 4 hours to charge from low battery to full at L2 (for a result of 225-250KM this time of year) so it's still cheaper than gas, it's just more time consuming. Fine if you're stopped for a few hours or something anyways, but if you're travelling the L3's are the only option to get charged fast and moving again.

What location shows free for Teslas and others $1.50/hour? Since there's very little data that changes hands between the car and the charger on the L2 protocol (vs L3, in which quite a bit changes hands, so the charger knows more about what it's plugged into) I'm not sure how an L2 station would be able to identify what's plugged in and be free for some, and charge for others - that's very unusual.
They have separate Tesla 208V/80A chargers.

Back
Top Bottom