Any GTAM'ers own an electric vehicle? | Page 7 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Any GTAM'ers own an electric vehicle?

Make gas cost around $3-5/L and then you will see a MASSIVE increase in the amount of electric/hybrid vehicles and models available...every time there is an increase in small fuel efficient cars when gas goes up...gas goes down a bit and then boom everyone goes back and trucks are back selling like hotcakes. People are stupid, they need to be hit where it hurts in order to make an actual change in lifestyle choices.

the price of oil is not just relative to cars
think about currency and other dependencies plus the cost for business's
airlines/trains/shipping/transport trucks etc...

They know what to do and how to do it...why would you decrease your profits or allow someone to impact your empire?

Car companies won't sell cars if oil producers raised their prices to punish the car companies.
It's a partnership, you need our product to sell your product and if you do not have our oil then you sell no cars etc...

Your suggestion is in practice...I think it is $4/l for fuel in the UK (Japan)...but they still have regular cars (smaller) but still regular gas powered cars.

Make gas cost around $3-5/L and then you will see a MASSIVE increase in the amount of electric/hybrid vehicles and models available...every time there is an increase in small fuel efficient cars when gas goes up...gas goes down a bit and then boom everyone goes back and trucks are back selling like hotcakes. People are stupid, they need to be hit where it hurts in order to make an actual change in lifestyle choices.

It sure does play role with some people's thinking, but it's not that simple for many .... Forget 3$-$5L which is unrealistic for many reasons. But let's say 2$/L for 87 .... the price on its own, means nothing, unless you start realizing, what kind of driving you do per week, month etc. and what are your driving patterns. In another words, for many, gas going to 2$/L will not make whole lot of difference as far as planning car purchase or switching to EV, especially if EV requires, compromises and certain critical thinking. We are still talking thousands and thousands of dollars gap over a 5 year period.

There's one thing for sure, the ICE will go at some point .... how fast? Hardly anybody has a clear clue ...

There's one thing for sure, the ICE will go at some point .... how fast? Hardly anybody has a clear clue ...

Not any time soon imo, for the simple fact that the energy companies have trillions tied up in current infrastructure and future fields as yet untouched. If a mass switch to EV started tomorrow, the price of crude could drop to stem the bleed off of customer base. This of course ignores government influence/tax. Who knows what they might do.

It's a true hybrid.

Stop jerking off on Honda's hydrogen hysteria and start getting educated on the tech that works.

Honestly, it's not going to be here tomorrow, but I wouldn't count hydrogen out. Full EV will find a niche as in town runabouts, but beyond that, I'm not convinced they'll ever live up to the standard set by the IC engine.

Aside from killing the economy, a surge of that proportion on the electrical grid will render it toast so that too is not feasible.

Easily dealt with through time of use rates for car chargers. Charging EV's overnight when demand is low would be billed at close to zero. If you want to charge during high demand times, charge exorbitant rates like 1.50/kwh. Basically force people to charge off peak.

Everything is wrong and it's all the Liberals fault in 3, 2, ...

Oh well, thread was good while it lasted.

uhm
Amazon built their new server farm and data centre in Montreal citing hydro rates as the major factor
all those jobs goneeeeeeeeeee

Yeah, If we could keep politics out of the thread that'd be great.

Back on track, does anyone know of any car rental places that rent Volts? Simply renting one for a few days and using it as a daily driver would probably be a good experience for both my wife and I.

Relax

Yeah, If we could keep politics out of the thread that'd be great.

Back on track, does anyone know of any car rental places that rent Volts? Simply renting one for a few days and using it as a daily driver would probably be a good experience for both my wife and I.

Enterprise used to. Maybe give them a call.

Amazon built their new server farm and data centre in Montreal citing hydro rates as the major factor
all those jobs goneeeeeeeeeee

Again, I don't want to make this thread go all political, but Quebec was given that data center because they have some of the cheapest electricity in North America, and I can almost certainly guarantee that the government probably sweetened the deal even more with special lower rates yet to secure the farm.

Quebec is overflowing in dirt cheap hydroelectric generation capacity and nobody else can even touch their rates, simply put.

So, my point is... Ontario "lost" it to Quebec the same as 50 US states and 9 other provinces "lost" it as well. This is hardly an Ontario specific thing.

Enterprise used to. Maybe give them a call.

Thanks. I see the history of such in Google, but it doesn't appear they do anymore - now a bunch of cheap imports and such for the most part - Kia's and such.

Enterprise CarShare lists the Volt available in specific locations. You'd have to contact them to get the details I guess. They serve the Toronto and Mississauga areas.

https://www.enterprisecarshare.ca/ca/en/our-rental-cars.html

Awesome, thanks - unfortunately it's membership based but I'd still consider it. Unfortunately despite showing the Volt as an option, I clicked countless location dots all over the GTA and I couldn't find one location that showed one on hand.

Sure having an electric car is a novelty, but once it wears off (like owning a useless convertible in Ontario LOL) I say let the early adopters get their Volts and learn what a pain in the *** it really is. On paper it looks good, but even the daily grind of life and remembering how good a traditional car really was. Think of what a pain it is every day/night when you come home, say with a load of groceries, or screaming kids, a long tired day at work, etc. you forget to plug your damn charger in, then what? Then the range anxiety, no long trips! In the winter, and we have long cold ones, less mileage on the battery, and not being able to fully use the heater and defroster at comfy settings? What about if you don't have a garage or power point nearby? Even worse. Scru dat!

Sure the Volt has a gas engine, buts its like driving in "limp mode" when its running. Scru dat!

For these reasons, I stick to my original thoughts in this thread, for around the same cash, get yourself a EPA rated 50mpg Accord Hybrid, and you get all the pluses of a traditional car with lots of power, no heater defroster worries, no range anxiety (I mean if you run out of gas, CAA will bring you gas, as opposed to running out of charge and needing a tow)

Until manufacturers bring in wireless charging for your car, where you can just park your car on a mat and not worry about remembering to charge, and they introduce respectable range, you won't find an electric car in my garage.

test drove an i3 couple of months back

was pretty snappy - at low speeds felt heavy but once speed picked up you didnt notice it

Sure having an electric car is a novelty, but once it wears off (like owning a useless convertible in Ontario LOL) I say let the early adopters get their Volts and learn what a pain in the *** it really is. On paper it looks good, but even the daily grind of life and remembering how good a traditional car really was. Think of what a pain it is every day/night when you come home, say with a load of groceries, or screaming kids, a long tired day at work, etc. you forget to plug your damn charger in, then what? Then the range anxiety, no long trips! In the winter, and we have long cold ones, less mileage on the battery, and not being able to fully use the heater and defroster at comfy settings? What about if you don't have a garage or power point nearby? Even worse. Scru dat!

Sure the Volt has a gas engine, buts its like driving in "limp mode" when its running. Scru dat!

For these reasons, I stick to my original thoughts in this thread, for around the same cash, get yourself a EPA rated 50mpg Accord Hybrid, and you get all the pluses of a traditional car with lots of power, no heater defroster worries, no range anxiety (I mean if you run out of gas, CAA will bring you gas, as opposed to running out of charge and needing a tow)

Until manufacturers bring in wireless charging for your car, where you can just park your car on a mat and not worry about remembering to charge, and they introduce respectable range, you won't find an electric car in my garage.

Oh boy, I don't even own one, and I can debunk this.

The Volt was specifically designed to NOT be a pain to use. EV owners report that plugging the car in at night is hardly an issue - and (for most people) that 5 seconds to plug in before going into the house and unplug before driving away means NOT having to do a trip to the gas station.

And with a Volt ... if you do forget ... you just drive it like a normal car. And you might have to fill it up at a gas station like a normal car. Big deal.

The Volt does NOT drive in "limp mode" when it is operating on the gasoline engine. Full performance through the electric drivetrain is available all the time regardless of operating mode. (The BMW i3 is quite another matter)

Pure electrics obviously have more limitations - those are quite another matter. The Chevrolet Bolt is going to be a big step up once it shows up here. It remains to be seen how much winter operation will affect its range.

The Bolt's advertised range will get me to my sister's place (Lindsay) and back (west GTA) without recharging with something left over.

It will not make it to Windsor and back - I had a business trip like that a few weeks ago. My criteria for going EV with the daily driver is when non-Tesla SAE Combo fast-charging stations are available at all of the OnRoute service centers. If that's in place (and I'm sure it will be in the not too distant future) I can cover my entire service area with an EV and I will only have to use a quick-charging station about once every couple of months. I can deal with needing a half-hour top-up charge if I have to go to Windsor and back once every couple of months.

Not sure where to start.

Sure having an electric car is a novelty, but once it wears off (like owning a useless convertible in Ontario LOL) I say let the early adopters get their Volts and learn what a pain in the *** it really is.

Your suggestion seems to fly in the face of the statistics where the overwhelming majority of Volt owners report loving the car.

And as of the Consumer Reports wrap up this past Christmas 90% of Chevy Volt owners report they would buy it again.

So, sorry the facts don't fit your argument.

when you come home, say with a load of groceries, or screaming kids, a long tired day at work, etc. you forget to plug your damn charger in, then what? Then the range anxiety, no long trips!

On a Volt, You forgot to plug the charger in, then what? You start the car on gas and drive away. And you STILL get around 4.2-5.0L/100K. It sips fuel.

No long trips? Again, the Volt will run indefinitely on a dead battery no different than any other car so long as you gas it up...like any other car. And while running on gas with a depleted battery the regenerative braking will slowly charge it up, so it does come back into play regardless.

In the winter, and we have long cold ones, less mileage on the battery, and not being able to fully use the heater and defroster at comfy settings? What about if you don't have a garage or power point nearby? Even worse. Scru dat!

The 0=60 times (which are not exactly a slouch, it will out accelerate many small cars) are virtually identical in electric mode as they are in solely gasoline mode. Some reports measured the acceleration to be slightly *faster* on the ICE, for that matter.

So yes, again, your statements are wrong.

And again, if you bothered reading the responses, the heater "issues" are completely non issues.

For these reasons, and the fact I'm clearly a huge Honda fan, I stick to my original thoughts in this thread, for around the same cash, get yourself a EPA rated 50mpg Accord Hybrid, and you get all the pluses of a traditional car with lots of power, no heater defroster worries, no range anxiety (I mean if you run out of gas, CAA will bring you gas, as opposed to running out of charge and needing a tow)

I fixed that for you.

By the way, what was the answer to my earlier question on the replacement cost for the battery pack on the Accord Hybrid? People reading this thread would probably like to know since Consumer Reports indicates a "shocking 33% failure rate" of the battery packs in a recent report.

Meanwhile, 7 years later, original Volts are still running on original batteries with zero degradation issues - GM has never once had to replace a battery under warranty for your much feared degradation, and you need not look far online to find plenty of evidence that it's NOT an issue.

Listen, it's clear (as I mentioned previously) that you have a hate on for anything not a Honda (despite many of your stats being fueled by questionable or blatantly incorrect information, see my responses above), but the reason I focused on the Volt from the onset was because I actually spent the time looking at the reliability aspect beforehand, with the practicality second, and the desire for a vehicle that could operate a good part of it's time as a pure EV also a big part of the equation.

On my number 1 priority in the above list, reliability, the Volt simply wins against the Civic and Accord and the pure EV functionality saving us gas money with every single kilometer we drive is also a no brainer. The hybrids simply can't match that, and as much as you continue to ignore my earlier posts with the simple to understand math that shows the Volt wins.

The ONLY thing the Accord wins on is if we never charged the Volt (ever) and drove it on gas for the entire time we owned it, which clearly is not the goal here. That's also assuming the Honda Hybrid isn't in the shop every 12 months for battery failure, as well.

Last edited:
On a Volt, You forgot to plug the charger in, then what? You start the car on gas and drive away. And you STILL get 42MPG, or 6.4L/100K on gas alone.

with the volts puny 1.5liter 100 hp engine to putter away. I might as well drive a go-cart. with a hybrid, I still get 200+hp I get 50mpg, and plenty of power on tap.

with the volts puny 1.5liter 100 hp engine to putter away. I might as well drive a go-cart. with a hybrid, I still get 200+hp I get 50mpg, and plenty of power on tap.

Geezus, do you fact check *anything* before posting it?

2016 Volt 0-60 7.1 seconds
http://insideevs.com/motortrend-2016-chevrolet-volt-zips-0-60-mph-7-1-seconds/

2013 (closet I could find with a slightest bit of search effort) Accord Hybrid 0-60 7.0 to 7.4
www.motortrend.com/cars/honda/accord-hybrid/2017/2017-honda-accord-hybrid-first-drive-review/amp/

IF (device under discussion = manufactured by Honda) THEN (approval = 1) ELSE (approval = 0)

Indeed.

But geez, Google is not hard to operate. People make themselves look silly with they post things like that.

It's actually rather laughable as well, at Hondas expense, that the Volt achieves basically the same 0-60 times on that "puny" drivetrain.

Some more cursory searches show the volt achieving 5 second 0-60's with some tweaking. That's the same territory as my current 380HP V8.

Back
Top Bottom