Any GTAM'ers own an electric vehicle? | Page 420 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Any GTAM'ers own an electric vehicle?

Well, keep in mind the Volt battery is tiny compared to a full EV.

The Ioniq battery I showed used prices for above is ~30kwh. No slouch in the size department. No, not a 100kw beast, but in the mid-range department.

So you liked the Ioniq? Can’t remember why you got rid of it.

Towing. When we bought the camper and got back into RV'ing again I discovered that although my 2011 Volt did fine towing it around on the backroads, the smaller drivetrain really struggled on any higher speed roads, or challenging terrain.

The Ioniq just wasn't an option at all for towing - not enough HP to begin with, and I wasn't interested in running from charging station to charging station while travelling.

The 2017 Gen2 Volt has a significantly more powerful drivetrain and tows the camper like it's not even back there.

1700951275603.png

I still tow with my 2011 if I'm just going somewhere within an hour or three of home solo and my wife wants her car for other stuff, but for long trips, we take the Gen2.

Wait, you have a Volt? So then you not only have everything that can go wrong in an ICE car, but also the electrical on top of that plus GM's proprietary coupling system that isn't well-documented (at least not enough for people to actually understand how it all works - specifically whether the ICE engine only provides charging for the batteries, or if it's actually connected to the driveline).
Volt does have all the repair expenses of both drivetrains and it still seems to work out financially over straight ice for drivers that can charge at home or work.

Super well documented. Watch videos from the guy in the wheelchair in the US and he has very detailed descriptions of most ev and hybrid drivetrains.

Volt does have all the repair expenses of both drivetrains and it still seems to work out financially over straight ice for drivers that can charge at home or work.

Like I said, this car has been one of the best cars I've ever owned. Aside from normal wear items like bearings and a set of brakes all around, this evap issue that cost me under $200 to get repaired at an independent shop is the first thing I've ever had go wrong with it in...what....5 years of ownership now, on a car that is approaching 13 years of age.

I'm quite OK with that.

There's a few people in the Chevy Bolt facebook group with >200,000 miles (car has been around since 2017) and I recall seeing one with 400,000 km from someone in Quebec. These would have been covered under the battery recall (and thus, since replaced) but there were owners saying the original battery still had good capacity at the time of replacement.

And YES, there have been occasional premature failures. There's something like 200,000 of these cars out there running around. A small but non-zero failure rate is to be expected. It's also pretty likely that some of those "failures", weren't. There's a new service bulletin on the 2020-2022 models that were originally subject to the battery recall, but which had a software change to monitor the battery to detect whether it needed to be replaced ... that it was false-triggering to indicate that the battery needed to be replaced, when it actually didn't. New Diagnostic Software Error Detections Tracking (Code... (scroll down to the last post)

(mine isn't affected)

Oh, by the way.....2011 Volt, checking in. 205,000km. Still on my original battery, bumpers still attached, all body panels still fitting together correctly.
42,3xx km, original battery, bumpers still attached, panel gaps are all good.

But you both have boring round steering wheels.

And a stupid square steering wheel. They clearly didn't learn from the cars where the non-round steering wheel has proven to be almost universally hated. But gotta be different at all costs, I guess.

Anyhow, Weren't the first deliveries supposed to be by the end of this month? (Edit, November 30'th "delivery event". A whole 10 of them are gettting delivered, mostly to employees it seems. Oh boy! lol)

A whole 10 of them are gettting delivered, mostly to employees it seems.

They're "delivering" that many? I'm shocked. I wouldn't be surprised if the 10 are the pre-pro ones that have been sighted going to the employees who are in possession of them at a discount (with a no sell clause, of course).

They're "delivering" that many? I'm shocked. I wouldn't be surprised if the 10 are the pre-pro ones that have been sighted going to the employees who are in possession of them at a discount (with a no sell clause, of course).

Apparently the "no sell" clause with the $50,000 "we'll sue you fi you sell it in the first year" penalty was quietly removed, although with these first 10 going to employees, we all know that would just change to a silent "we'll fire you if you sell this thing" handshake.

Fak. Had a good discussion with the wife yesterday, she's changed her tune and isn't interested in driving the GTI due to the manual (even though she was open to the idea before).

So now I'm in a dilemma...keep the GTI and make it my own car, and she keeps packing on the miles on the Odyssey.

OR....

I switch the GTI for something she can drive (ICE or EV / Hybrid) which she can use for work as well and ease up the load on the Odyssey.

Guess the search is on. I want that stupid Mach-E but it's way out too lunch on price. Buying a used Tesla scares me. So those are out 100%.

Mini EV - range too low
Golf EV - range too low
Bolt EV/EUV - top of the list
Kona EV - 2nd on the list due to space and potential idiotic placement of the charger. Minor hit on the front bumper can screw up the charge port
Leaf - range too low
Volt - not sure i want to return to that

Or just find a damn hybrid (Civic / Accord / etc) which would also be fairly fuel efficient and she'd be more comfortable driving it.

OR just get an auto GTI lol (or the Sportwagen).

Fak. Had a good discussion with the wife yesterday, she's changed her tune and isn't interested in driving the GTI due to the manual (even though she was open to the idea before).

So now I'm in a dilemma...keep the GTI and make it my own car, and she keeps packing on the miles on the Odyssey.

OR....

I switch the GTI for something she can drive (ICE or EV / Hybrid) which she can use for work as well and ease up the load on the Odyssey.

Guess the search is on. I want that stupid Mach-E but it's way out too lunch on price. Buying a used Tesla scares me. So those are out 100%.

Mini EV - range too low
Golf EV - range too low
Kona EV - 2nd on the list due to space and potential idiotic placement of the charger. Minor hit on the front bumper can screw up the charge port
Leaf - range too low

Or just find a damn hybrid (Civic / Accord / etc) which would also be fairly fuel efficient and she'd be more comfortable driving it.

Lol volt fits your needs well.

Sent from the future

I should go and try to buy back my car. Trade in the GTI for the Volt and 10k cash (same as the WRX I traded in). lol

OR....

Mini EV - range too low
Golf EV - range too low
Leaf - range too low

C43 AMG

OR....

Mini EV - range too low
Golf EV - range too low
Leaf - range too low

Hybrid RAV4 is the safest and most practical bet IMHO.

Back
Top Bottom