Any GTAM'ers own an electric vehicle? | Page 274 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Any GTAM'ers own an electric vehicle?

enlighten me, what makes it ridiculously expensive to add a level 2 charger in california, as opposed to Canada?

I know at least 2 Tesla owners in my area who refuse to pay extra for level 2 chargers at home and go to the local hotel to for a charge.
What? That’s a new level of Canadians weird cheapness I haven’t seen before ...that is completely stupid , these people must have no lIfe to waste time like that

enlighten me, what makes it ridiculously expensive to add a level 2 charger in california, as opposed to Canada?

I know at least 2 Tesla owners in my area who refuse to pay extra for level 2 chargers at home and go to the local hotel to for a charge.
I suspect the people dumping ev's dont live in single family homes with driveways. Adding a level two charger in your condo is a combination of ridiculously expensive and impossible to get permission. Similarly, if you live somewhere with street parking, having your own personal charger is not practical.

What? That’s a new level of Canadians weird cheapness I haven’t seen before ...that is completely stupid , these people must have no lIfe to waste time like that

true story.

I go there to quote an EV charger install. then when they factor in buying a charger, plus my installation fee, they balk and say they will just keep using the power station at the local hotel. its "free"

I've had a few customers, who eventually spent on installing a Level 2 after many months or in one case over a year after owning an electric car.

This brings us back to the california problem, in "some" cases, people realize that current Electric cars are hideously expensive, and the thought of adding over a thousand dollars or more to their purchase pains them....

This brings us back to the california problem, people realize that current Electric cars are hideously expensive, and the thought of adding over a thousand dollars or more to their purchase pains them....
Meanwhile they dump $5000 a year in fuel into their range rover without a second thought.

Meanwhile they dump $5000 a year in fuel into their range rover without a second thought.

we live in a society that gobbles up monthly and smaller installment payments. it hurts less.

$100 a fill once a week or so is much easier to swallow.

1 in 5 californians ditched their electric car because its actually a pain the azz to own

But the hydrogen thing you have a hard on for will be oh so convenient in comparison. ?

And hey, guess you fell out of love with Tesla, huh?

true story.

I go there to quote an EV charger install. then when they factor in buying a charger, plus my installation fee, they balk and say they will just keep using the power station at the local hotel. its "free"

I've had a few customers, who eventually spent on installing a Level 2 after many months or in one case over a year after owning an electric car.

This brings us back to the california problem, in "some" cases, people realize that current Electric cars are hideously expensive, and the thought of adding over a thousand dollars or more to their purchase pains them....
Which goes back to what I always say. GTA is full of broke shooters who have no money but drive fancy cars they can’t afford to even service properly . For my wife’s taycan we spent 2700 buying the level 2 charger, running the 50 amp wire to the garage and putting 2 plugs in case I get an electric car one day too ( I want that new electric hummer )
if you drop 100,000 plus on an EV and don’t want to ( or more likely can’t )spend a couple more grand for a proper charger at home you are a joke .

But the hydrogen thing you have a hard on for will be oh so convenient in comparison. ?

And hey, guess you fell out of love with Tesla, huh?

hydrogen is gaining traction in europe and china. we will always be behind.

As for Tesla, I've said this from post 2 (see page 1) of this thread years ago, go see for yourself.

And I made that quote before 99% on this thread knew what a Tesla or electric car was.

"Electric cars are here to stay, but apart from TESLA". I stand by those words today. This is the ONLY electric car I would buy up to this point today. There are other great electrics coming, but for now Tesla still does it best.

EDIT: oh, and I commented on the Stupid expensive price and limited range back then too. A problem with electric cars that we still have today (see problem with 1 in 5 california).

My narrative hasn't really changed has it?

Last edited:
With no garage but a driveway (so wet location) and a house. In materials a "Level 2" outdoor charging set-up is ~$500 in materials before taxes but there could be complications.

$270 to 300 for the 40 amp GFCI breaker (depends on panel).
$80 for the NEMA 14-50R covered "RV" outlet, mounted to the house.
$80 for the single device ESA permit.
Rest in wire, clamps, screws....depends on the distance so it could bump over $500 by a little due to wire costs.
+Taxes

GFCI breaker is the biggest cost item, if you can possibly get away without GFCI that drops to under $30 for most panels (garage but it depends).

Now if you have to pay an electrician (no electrical DIY skills) well that will cost you. The biggest complication is if your panel and/or service is at or over its limit, you may need to do a full service upgrade to 200A so add a couple of grand for an electrician or more at that point (DIY likely less than a grand depending on the type of service). House has knob and tube well that may require even more when the can of worms is opened..... SO, low point under $500, high point for a house could be many thousands due to because of this, you need to do this, that and these.

Of course some people may go DIY without permit and forgo the GFCI for outdoor and squeeze it in an overloaded panel by installing some half height breakers on other circuits.... and will get it done in the $200 to $300 range, but we are talking legal here..... are we not???? :)

Everyone I know that has an electric car got a plug-in "Level 2" charger with the car that will plug into the NEMA 14-50R, if someone did not, well that was their choice....

For people with an existing condo or apartment it may not even be possible but for sure it will be big $$$$s. Condo townhome may have specific rules and will likely require a licensed contractor to do the work if it is possible.

Last edited:
I haven't and don't know a single electrician that ever put a car charger on gfci.

Can you show me where this is required?

I’m still using my L1 charger simply because the amount of driving I do....doesn’t justify it.

Mind you I have my old L2 charger and the only thing that bothers me is that it’s the coiled cord and it’s a pain to get it under the garage door. The L1 straight cord is great for that. And I’m not sure how to permanently mount it best outside.

I’m still using my L1 charger simply because the amount of driving I do....doesn’t justify it.

Mind you I have my old L2 charger and the only thing that bothers me is that it’s the coiled cord and it’s a pain to get it under the garage door. The L1 straight cord is great for that. And I’m not sure how to permanently mount it best outside.
Old school garage air pump style. Chest height on the wall of the garage.

true story.

Did they live in a house or a condo? I can't comprehend this level of cheapness if they live in a house.

Did they live in a house or a condo? I can't comprehend this level of cheapness if they live in a house.
More like level of brokeness/cashless

More like level of brokeness/cashless
But how does someone spend the coin on a Tesla or something similar and not have the extra $2k for a charger and outlet?
I can understand it if you are buying the cheaper cars like the Volt and money is tight, but not for car that's in the $100k range.

Maybe it's no different to someone who buys a motorcycle and doesn't factor in the prioce of insurance or gear. Some people just don't think. Or they are just incompetent.

But how does someone spend the coin on a Tesla or something similar and not have the extra $2k for a charger and outlet?
I can understand it if you are buying the cheaper cars like the Volt and money is tight, but not for car that's in the $100k range.

Maybe it's no different to someone who buys a motorcycle and doesn't factor in the prioce of insurance or gear. Some people just don't think. Or they are just incompetent.
Some people are all about the flash. I still remember driving past a row of townhouses in Brampton and most had multiple BMW's in front. Wtf. Their decision to show off then has cost them many hundreds of thousands now.

I haven't and don't know a single electrician that ever put a car charger on gfci.

Can you show me where this is required?
Section 86 is poorly written IMO and open to interpretation as it looks like it calls out GFCI for 20A only and does not mention 40A, etc.. Some (maybe all?) chargers also have built in GFCI and of course have no need for GFCI if they are hard wired.

BUT it is an outlet if not hard wired, that is specifically an outdoor outlet within 2.5m of the grade for general code (when not in a garage).

For the chargers with GFCI, cascading GFCI can cause nuisance trips but that same Level 2 charger usually also has an option to plug into 120V which requires GFCI on the outlet when outdoor, no if and or but.

So at the moment it is grey, also keep in mind there are different unwitten rules for inspection by DIY and a licensed electrician. Also, IME the licensed guys do stuff that they technically require a permit for without permits. Best bet if you are DIY with a permit, give the inspector a quick call before buying the breaker....

Because they are running on a lot of credit and don’t have a lot of cash available. Their income annually can cover their expenses and they are probably being topped up by family but you ask them for 2000 cash they just don’t have it

Back
Top Bottom