Any GTAM'ers own an electric vehicle? | Page 215 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Any GTAM'ers own an electric vehicle?

Sandy Munro has acquired a Tesla Model Y ... and in a new development, he's posting snippets of the teardown on a Youtube channel.

I've watched a couple. It seems like Tesla has learned from past experience. The Y is designed better than the 3 was. It looks like they took some of Sandy's past criticisms into account.

General Motors and Honda Motor have agreed to jointly develop two new all-electric vehicles for the Japanese automaker, the companies announced Thursday.

The vehicles are scheduled to be released for the 2024 model-year, the companies said. They will feature GM’s proprietary “Ultium” battery technology, but their designs will be exclusive to Honda and the vehicle platform “will be engineered to support Honda’s driving character.”

Honda will also offer GM’s hands-free advanced driver-assist technology, known as Super Cruise, and the Detroit automaker’s OnStar safety and security services in the two all-electric vehicles.

Someones head is going to explode from the cognitive dissonance over this one. ?

General Motors and Honda Motor have agreed to jointly develop two new all-electric vehicles for the Japanese automaker, the companies announced Thursday.

The vehicles are scheduled to be released for the 2024 model-year, the companies said. They will feature GM’s proprietary “Ultium” battery technology, but their designs will be exclusive to Honda and the vehicle platform “will be engineered to support Honda’s driving character.”

Honda will also offer GM’s hands-free advanced driver-assist technology, known as Super Cruise, and the Detroit automaker’s OnStar safety and security services in the two all-electric vehicles.

Someones head is going to explode from the cognitive dissonance over this one. ?

Thats actually great news for GM, they need all the help they can get from a superior manufacturer of great cars. GM has poured billions in EV battery tech and it appears to be pretty good (see post #2 of this thread when I said over 3 years ago when the vast majority who commented on this thread since didn't even know what an electric car or Tesla was.... the GM Bolt "looked quite promising" as it hadn't come to market at that time yet, but from what I saw, the battery tech looked good on paper, range wasn't as good as a tesla back then, but will improve with their next gen "Ultium" tech no doubt.) so Honda taking advantage of this and saving billions in the process is pure brilliance on their part.

When GM finally learns to build a small car with Honda's superior engineering prowess and efficiency in clever packaging and design, we can finally put to rest all the bad memories of the dismal Volt, Cruze, Cavalier, Sunfire, et all. Horrid examples of small cars GM would love to lay to rest once and for all.

Long live Honda.

Edit: I am not 100% clear if GM will eventually have a version(s) of this car or if it is strictly a Honda model with GM battery and driving tech, but I think its safe to say you will see some Honda ingenuity in future GM models since they will inherit the Honda engineering "way" as GM will be "building" the vehicles.

Last edited:
Just crossed the 2year ownership mark of my 2018 Volt. Has 50,000km on it during winters only, of which about 40,000km have been electric. It would have much more mileage, but once bikes started being allowed in the HOV lanes, I park the car in April and ride the bike about 40,000km til December. The Volt has been a great car and a pleasure to drive in the snow and ice. First car or GM vehicle I've owned brand new.

Last winter, the front end was hit lightly by someone in a parking lot causing minor damage - a cracked headlight & some plastics. I didn't notice it at the time because the car was so dirty, but water/salt got in and created some issues to the wiring harness over a few months. It caused an error reading with the battery, so I took the car in. Dealership said it clearly wasn't a warranty issue, so they were not responsible for the cost of the repair (over $2k). I agreed and told them to go ahead with the work. They said they could have the parts ordered and the work completed in 2 days. They gave me a brand new loaner pick-up truck for the 2 days.

When I went to pick up the car, the service manager said he figured out a way to assign most of the repair to my warranty and they would now cover the cost of the harness/wiring work if I covered the cost of the plastics and some other labour ($700). Not many dealerships would do that. I've also had 2 preventative oil changes which were also free - one at 24k and the other at 48k, even though I didn't need the changes due to such low gas usage. Great dealership experience so far and this car has exceeded my expectations.

PS: Thanks to everyone in this thread who contributes meaningful knowledge - helped a lot in choosing this car! Our last 4 Honda vehicles have been nice cars, but exceptionally poor dealership experiences for myself, my wife and her Mom. My Volt bumper has not yet fallen off and even if it did, I can rest easy knowing that it would be fixed within 2 days. My next vehicle will be full electric and my wife will take the Volt since she likes it too.

When I went to pick up the car, the service manager said he figured out a way to assign most of the repair to my warranty and they would now cover the cost of the harness/wiring work if I covered the cost of the plastics and some other labour ($700). Not many dealerships would do that.

You'd be surprised. They get paid either way. Had a Comanche with the 4L I6. They had a known issue with cracked manifolds. Mine went and I was out of town. Took it to a dealer. He said it's under warranty. I told him I bought it used. Said well , it's under someone's warranty. What if their's goes? Then that's under someone else's warranty. Told him to do an oil change and air filter while he was at it so he could mark up a few bucks on me.

Dealerships make the difference. My first Hyundai was through a dealer in MISSISSAUGA that ran my wallet through a wringer washer every service. The second one bought in COOKSVILLE has really been decent, even suggesting aftermarket items when they felt OEM was overpriced.

Our last 4 Honda vehicles have been nice cars, but exceptionally poor dealership experiences for myself, my wife and her Mom.

One thing I've learned about dealerships over the years, they are just like any other business. Some are well run, and others are a disaster.

Just keep trying different dealers till you find one that hits all the right buttons. Trust me they are out there.

P.S. If you need the best Acura and Honda dealer and maintenance recommendations, drop me a line. I've tried them all from Niagara to Oakville and found the best. I also have best recommendations for Ford and Mercedes in our area too, Ive tried just about all of them for sales and service at one point or another over the years!

Last edited:
More from Sandy Munro. The Y is much better built than the 3.

I've said it before and will say it again, the Model Y will be the most sensible Tesla to own and the best seller.

Start saving your pennies folks. this is the one to buy.

I've said it before and will say it again, the Model Y will be the most sensible Tesla to own and the best seller.

Start saving your pennies folks. this is the one to buy.

They STILL can't line up body panels to save their life. Pass.

More from Sandy Munro. The Y is much better built than the 3.

Thanks for this, Subscribed.

For everyone else, knock them for all you want, but for a company that has been in existence for a "short time", these guys have come a long way, and get increasingly better with every new model release.

Now they need to get it so that anyone can get parts for them in a timely manner. And they need to stop treating customers with disdain once they have the car.

Now they need to get it so that anyone can get parts for them in a timely manner. And they need to stop treating customers with disdain once they have the car.

And remotely disabling options on used ones after they're purchased.

if you are a hater, then please move on to the next post.

everyone else, click on the link to follow Tesla's remarkable rise in 16 short years. Yes, there were bumps along the way, but still incredible overall and not finished yet...

There was a lot of speculation that the Y would use a "next generation" wiring harness to cut down on the amount of wiring in the vehicle. Nope. Same as the 3. The patent is probably something they are keeping for future use.

This video starts busting delusions that an EV is "simpler" than a combustion engine vehicle. There's a lot of stuff going on in there.

Tesla seems to do really well in crashes, I will give them that. Door opens, glass not cracked, everything in front of the firewall destroyed. Cop SUV appears to have a bend in the centre.

crash-scaled.jpg

Tesla seems to do really well in crashes, I will give them that. Door opens, glass not cracked, everything in front of the firewall destroyed. Cop SUV appears to have a bend in the centre.

crash-scaled.jpg

That will buff right out!

Back
Top Bottom