Any BBQ pros on here? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Any BBQ pros on here?

Wow thanks everyone for the responses, really appreciate it. I'm off back to BC tomorrow so have some time to do research. Although I like the idea of doing an 11hr cook, I don't see that happening, unless my 'dadness' kicks in soon and it becomes the new hobby.

I'd like to even build my own smoker at some point in time, as we have the yard/space for it this time around. But will see with the future.

@crankcall a 12pack of Heineken sounds better! Definitely interested.

......Although I like the idea of doing an 11hr cook, I don't see that happening, unless my 'dadness' kicks in soon and it becomes the new hobby.

I picked up a 1 year old Big Green Egg with all the eggcessories from a good buddy a couple months ago (mine is a large, he wants the XL).... Thought I'd use it once every couple of weeks...
Ends up it's fired up 2-3x weekly. Maybe just the "honeymoon" phase, but each time I'm learning more stuff and getting progressively better at it.
Giving extra meat and stuff to the neighbours, and they're just loving it too.

Two friends have bge knockoffs. They love the flavor, but found their use slipped off quickly with family's. The time required was just too much and they relegated their use to special occasions and bought a conventional gas bbq for daily use (with costco traeger wood chips when they want more flavor). If you dont use the bge style grille for a while, it fills up with mold. Yippee, just what you want on your cooking surface.

I am running a decade old propane ducane. No complaints, replaced one heat distribution plate and the ignitor (just the box, not the wires). I personally hate how most Weber's run the burners from the side tray. It wastes an entire work surface and I find it much easier to split things up left/right instead of front/back (meat at lower temp on left, veg seared at high temp on right). The ducane is not a very hot bbq, I normally leave at least one burner on high. A weber spirit at the inlaws is ridiculously hot. Leave the burners on low and you are over 400. Most cooking requires you to turn off at least one burner to keep the temps under control.

Propane vs ng I am not convinced about. If you have an ng tap obviously it is super convenient. Some friends complain about they dont get hot enough ( which shouldnt be a problem, that is a design issue) and I know people that have accidentally left them on for days (turned them to high to burn off the remnants and then forgot to go out and turn it off, discovered it was on next time they went to bbq).

I would get a side burner on my next one. My wife likes boiled corn on the cob and it kills me to have a vat of boiling water in an air conditioned house. Also helps during power outages.

I built a bbq enclosure at the last house. I miss it every day. Having a roof, lights and a seat means you bbq at least 3 times as often. I would go cheap bbq and enclosure over good bbq anyday.
When I overhauled my last natural gas bbq I noticed a few issues. 1) the supplied rubber gas hose couldonly deliver enough gas to make 18000BTUs 2) the standard gas valves had similar limits.

I upgraded the supply line and drilled out the control jets, she now breathes fire.

Before upgrading I couldn’t boil a quart of water on the side burner. Now I can boil a 5 gallon pot.

when we installed the Crown Verity at the cottage we found out it required a 3/4 black pipe supply for NG . Luckly the local pool company knew a guy that did pool heaters ect and had his ticket and didnt need a fortune to hook it up. Can smelt aluminum on that thing.

Sometimes when you buy your BBQ is as important as what you buy...end of season deals can be had.

I purchased my latest BBQ about ten yrs ago.
I picked up a Blue Ember NG bbq from Home Depot at the end of summer (they were clearing out floor models to make room for snow blowers). 4 main burners, 1 back burner, 1 side pot burner. The thing is almost too big for our needs. Only maintenance I’ve had to do is replace the battery on the igniter.
Still works as good as the day I brought it home.

Cost me $150 + tax.

Besides that, the best BBQ tool I have is the timer on my iphone so I always get a perfect cook on the steaks .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One of the best things I bought for the BBQ was a BBQ gazebo. Keeps the bad weather off it and I can cook in all weather. Use it year round. Super cold days the propane has less pressure but it works.

I stand outside, hat mittens , feeling cold and lonely but it needs to be done. grill season never ends at our house.

+1 on a timer, and a good meat thermometer. Yes after decades of grilling I can 'look' at a steak and be close, but the timer makes sure I dont get distracted with a wine cork and the thermometer means its perfect. And the chicken is cooked.
New grilling guys remember meat will almost instantly jump 15degree or so when you take it OFF the heat ( its science I cant explain it) . so give yourself that window when doing steaks.

If you ever spend time in a professional kitchen, the chef has a thermometer. and a timer.

had a Webber spirit for the past 8 years, then finally pulled the trigger on a Komado Joe this spring, and the Webber has been collecting dust ever since.
wanna slow cook at 250 for 8hrs? no problem; want to sear your steak at 600? easy; wanna crank up to 800+ and bake a pizza on it? no problemo.

best grill ever

anyone thinking of a charcoal kettle grill
I had a Coleman Cookout several years ago
really liked it and found the quality to be equal or better than a Weber kettle

on sale at CTC right now for $143.....almost half off
really good deal for a second grill if someone wants to try charcoal grilling or smoking

there are websites that are devoted strictly to kettle grilling
the snake method is cool and works well in this kettle

turning on the gas and hitting the igniter button is convenient
but it ain't really cooking

Last edited:
Had Webber for 16 years and finally the flavor bars are gone . Can`t recall what I paid but it was a pretty penny at the time . I received a deal on a Napoleon and I`m happy with the upgrade . It has many features like a smoker . I`m keeping the Webber for a friend for their house . All I have learned over the years buy once cry once .

LEX 730 RSBI Propane Gas BBQ - LEX730RSBIPSS | Napoleon

Had Webber for 16 years and finally the flavor bars are gone . Can`t recall what I paid but it was a pretty penny at the time . I received a deal on a Napoleon and I`m happy with the upgrade . It has many features like a smoker . I`m keeping the Webber for a friend for their house . All I have learned over the years buy once cry once .

LEX 730 RSBI Propane Gas BBQ - LEX730RSBIPSS | Napoleon
I was going to buy a Weber about 10 years ago but got a deal on a Napoleon I have regretted it ever since. Terrible heat distribution hot and cold spots. Burns half the food while the rest is raw.

Sent from my moto g(7) plus using Tapatalk

I was going to buy a Weber about 10 years ago but got a deal on a Napoleon I have regretted it ever since. Terrible heat distribution hot and cold spots. Burns half the food while the rest is raw.

Got a smoking deal on mine . Only used it a few times . So far it has served me well .

Got a smoking deal on mine . Only used it a few times . So far it has served me well .
I know the deal I got seemed too good to pass up. Hope yours works well and lasts I wanted to like it as it is made in Canada but hasn't been positive for me.

At the house here we have a 4burner Broil King, I believe it mostly Canadian made, maybe assembled

They built a plant in China years ago (use to do work for them - was at the Etobicoke plant frequently). I remember reading an article in one of the trade mags a few years later. Owner was bitching about the Chinese stealing his designs/labour, opening a plant in the same industrial area, then building/selling knockoffs at a discount.

Last edited:
I thought Broil King was Kitchener based? your not thinking Fiesta grill are you, they were in Etobicoke someplace. So many good CDN ideas F'd off to China.

Back
Top Bottom