Another car thread | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Another car thread

Are they being overloaded with inventory? Auctions are shut down, some (apparently) are refusing to accept customers dropping off their lease returns, and they've been selling with reduced volumes, but selling. Seems like for the time used car inventory is drying up until things start going to fill up their lots again.

Also, throw in Hertz that is apparently teetering on bankruptcy protection, there might be a massive influx of cars (lower spec of course) into the market which may lower pricing for those particular models only.

Many auctions are still going, they've just gone online only for the time being.

So....for reasons I’ll explain in a second I’m having a hard look at Toyota Highlanders. Seen a 2016 XLT with 54k kms for $29k which for a car that was originally $46 k ish isn’t too bad.

Now why? Tons of room in the back for 2 dogs and the most important bit...it’s one of the few SUVs left with a separate rear opening glass hatch which is invaluable when you're unloading (unruly) dogs for getting leashes and harnesses on them and also when stopped for letting them safely have some fresh air.

other pluses ...V6 engine and a fair bit of luxury in the XLT
minuses.... apparently there was a significant set of upgrades in the 2017 model.

So....for reasons I’ll explain in a second I’m having a hard look at Toyota Highlanders. Seen a 2016 XLT with 54k kms for $29k which for a car that was originally $46 k ish isn’t too bad.

Now why? Tons of room in the back for 2 dogs and the most important bit...it’s one of the few SUVs left with a separate rear opening glass hatch which is invaluable when you're unloading (unruly) dogs for getting leashes and harnesses on them and also when stopped for letting them safely have some fresh air.

minuses.... apparently there was a significant set of upgrades in the 2017 model.
My neighbour got rid of her highlander 6 months ago. It was about 8 years old amd she liked it but repairs were killing her. It was cheaper to start car payments again than keep it on the road.

pretty sure XLT is a Ford trim option...

My neighbour got rid of her highlander 6 months ago. It was about 8 years old amd she liked it but repairs were killing her. It was cheaper to start car payments again than keep it on the road.

what was up with it? The newer ones seem reasonably bulletproof.

what was up with it? The newer ones seem reasonably bulletproof.
I can ask her for details, I think it was just death by attrition. 2000 for brakes this month, 2000 for something else next month.

I can ask her for details, I think it was just death by attrition. 2000 for brakes this month, 2000 for something else next month.

was she getting it serviced at Toyota? My local guy will look after whatever I get...he's been great for us. Never does anything that’s unnecessary.

stuff like that is killing the local repair shop, and the mindset of car buyers is KooKoo in my opinion. They get a couple rough months and decide I can drive brand new for $369 a month, instead of 2k for brakes, 2 k for A/C or whatever, but then months of nothing. So off to the lot they go....

stuff like that is killing the local repair shop, and the mindset of car buyers is KooKoo in my opinion. They get a couple rough months and decide I can drive brand new for $369 a month, instead of 2k for brakes, 2 k for A/C or whatever, but then months of nothing. So off to the lot they go....

my rule is that if it’s transmission related and happens more than once in quick succession it’s time to dump the lemon.

2k for brakes wtf...

i just browsed canada nappa auto parts, can get both sets of rotors and pads for less than $600. I'd install it at home myself for $50-100.

?‍♂️

2k for brakes wtf...

i just browsed canada nappa auto parts, can get both sets of rotors and pads for less than $600. I'd install it at home myself for $50-100.

Lucky to get brakes done at a dealership for under 3k these days it is nuts. On the plus side brakes seem to last 100k so 3 or 4 brake jobs over the life of the vehicle.

Sent from my moto g(7) plus using Tapatalk

Lucky to get brakes done at a dealership for under 3k these days it is nuts. On the plus side brakes seem to last 100k so 3 or 4 brake jobs over the life of the vehicle.

Sent from my moto g(7) plus using Tapatalk

Speaks volumes for being able to do some work yourself. Just changed the thermostat in one of my vehicles because it was overheating. $16 and a couple hours of work and good as new. Probably would have been a few hundred bucks to get someone else to do it.

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

If anyone here works for a KIA dealer PM me.... we are looking at a KIA (one of a few options) but we are getting nothing but runaround by the sales guy at the dealer. I want to talk to him on the phone first as I have many questions that need answered before I even think of a test drive, he just keeps insisting I come into the dealer....dude social distancing????

I guess they just don't need or want to sell us a car?

If anyone here works for a KIA dealer PM me.... we are looking at a KIA (one of a few options) but we are getting nothing but runaround by the sales guy at the dealer. I want to talk to him on the phone first as I have many questions that need answered before I even think of a test drive, he just keeps insisting I come into the dealer....dude social distancing????

They do...but it's easier when you're in the dealership.

Get the extended warranty.

One of my customers is a Finance Manager for a Kia dealership. Says the shop is filled with Kia's waiting for repairs and new motors. haha.

Highlander is a nice vehicle...and they do really well reliability wise...the 2017 gained the newer RX350 engine so 300 hp and all the safety tech your insurance company likes. Lane departure/pre-collision and radar cruise. But the best feature is the 8 speed tranny. Better fuel and quieter ride. Either way a 2016 is still a sweet vehicle.

What questions do you really need answered? Half the time sales guys will either give you the wrong answer, or just whatever answer you are looking for. I know a GM at Kia store in Toronto, i don't know what your location is though.

Back
Top Bottom