Air Canada: Fee to choose your seat?! | GTAMotorcycle.com

Air Canada: Fee to choose your seat?!

jonpurdy

Site Supporter
Booking a flight to Vancouver from Toronto. It's saying that it's $46 for preferred seating and $31 for any other seating. So I can't even choose my seat without paying?! The last time I booked I paid $25 for preferred seating (since it was a connecting flight from Korea).

This is insanity and I'm totally outraged that I can't even choose my seat without paying, despite booking well in advance.

Are other airlines like this? If not, I'm done with AC.

I'm flying out to Calgary tomorrow and I could pay extra to pick my seat early or what till 24 hours ahead and pick it for free then, Its westjet though.

Airlines are a cut-throat business these days..have you noticed you've been paying for checked baggage as well?? Preferred seats are the bulkhead and exit row seats. Advance seat selection costs money within Canada and Canada-US..International is free.

I'm flying out to Calgary tomorrow and I could pay extra to pick my seat early or what till 24 hours ahead and pick it for free then, Its westjet though.

Seems like everyone jumps online at 24 hours ahead and tries to do the same thing though!! :) Have to hustle..

Ugh, I'd rather have them just embed the fees in the care up front. Psychologically, being nickel and dimed is far worse than accepting a price at the beginning.

If you fly enough to get to Prestige, Elite, or Super Elite status you can chose your seat at time of booking. Also, you get 2 checked bags free. I believe the minimum requirement is 25 flight segments per year to attain Prestige status. I'm fortunate (or maybe unfortunate) enough to travel enough for work that I can take a few personal trips per year on Aeroplan points.

As someone mentioned earlier, the airline business is cut throat and I cannot understand their pricing. Why does it usually cost at least twice as much to fly Toronto to Minneapolis as it does from Toronto to LA?

They are nickel and diming to death now. Hence why I dont fly as much anymore. Last flight was to the states. In order to check a bag I had to pay $25. I just ride to my destination now. Specially since even with the high gas costs, its the same cost to fly and I save rental fees.

This is what happens when the government does not allow for competition on any industry. I want Air Canada to die and have another take it’s place.
Fly Air Transat. They are wonderful overseas from UK and France.

Airline prices in general are pretty crazy right now. Just 5 or 6 years ago I flew from Hamilton to Gatewick for $575, all taxes in. Now, well the airport taxes alone cost more then the ticket. I pay the fee to choose my seat, I like having an isle seat, hate crawling over people if I want to stretch my legs or need to use the bathroom, small fee among larger flying fees.

If you fly w/ Air Canada, even the first checked bag is charged. And for those who say competition would help this situation, just look to the US to see what competition does. Competition between airlines for MY business should mean that extra fees are minimal at best. The only competition going on is to see who can charge the most and who can be the most creative in what they charge for. Soon, there will be charges for carry-on as well. It's started with at least carrier in the states. The competition now is to see how fast other carriers impliment that new fee. I'm surprised they don't already have coin operated bathrooms!

Don't do United. I went with a companion and they intentionally separated us 2x. And they want a premium for choosing to sit together. It was a circus.

The whole plane had people rearranging themselves. I was asked for a favour 2x to move to another seat so a child can sit next to their mother.

WTF???

Don't do United. I went with a companion and they intentionally separated us 2x. And they want a premium for choosing to sit together. It was a circus.

The whole plane had people rearranging themselves. I was asked for a favour 2x to move to another seat so a child can sit next to their mother.

WTF???

Cut-throat..as I said. On the other hand..it's as cheap now to fly to Europe as it was 25 years ago..that's a feat..

Cut-throat..as I said. On the other hand..it's as cheap now to fly to Europe as it was 25 years ago..that's a feat..

Appears cheap, but they find a way to squeeze some money outta ya

Customers today make the airlines cut throat, they struggle to survive. Think about the expenses of an airline before you complain about their "outrageous" prices.

Appears cheap, but they find a way to squeeze some money outta ya

Well..in a way, I don't mind..some people pack like 200lbs of **** when they fly. Meanwhile, some people have no luggage at all. They're subsidizing the big packers. I don't eat airplane food..I'm quite happy not getting a meal..and I'm not paying for it either. I suppose it all depends how you look at it. Some people just want to put up $1000 and have everything. Other people don't mind paying $750 and then adding in their luggage because they can save a bit.

Honestly though, the first time I went to Europe when I was 18, it was like $1200. I just checked pricing for the exact same trip 20 years later and it's $980. Considering the price of fuel..that's not bad..

For me it's not about what they nickle and dime you over... For me it's about the experience itself. Sometimes it feels like Air Canada employees go out of there way to make it a crappy experience.

For example, last year I was traveling to the US with Air Canada. Due to unforeseeable circumstances I was a bit late getting to the airport. Flight was at 7:30am and we were there by 6:25am.
I had boarding passes already and as I was hurrying to reach the baggage checkin counter the lady stops me and asks, "Have you weighed your cabin bags?"

I said, "They are all well under the limit." and continued walking.

She then say, "Excuse me, please come back here and weight your bags before you proceed."

I say, "I'm in a hurry, I assure you they are all under weight and I will come back once I have checked the checkin bags."

She rudely orders me then, "Sir, I won't ask you twice to come back and weigh the bags!"

Now i'm there with my wife and sister in law.... And her tone was not appropriate at all. I was getting a bit frustrated but Wife calms me down and I go out and weigh the bags and all three of our hang bags are WAY under the limit."

"You can go now...." She then rudely says.

I reach the counter, (there was no lineup that early in the morning). It's 6:31 now.

I give the desk lady the details...

Counter Attendant: "Sorry sir, you we can no longer put you on that flight, you are late."
Me: "Sorry? What?"
Counter Attendant: "You have to be here at least 60 minutes prior to the flight."
Me: "It's 6:30 and the flight's at 7:30"
Counter Attendant: "It's 6:31, well 6:32 now."
Me: "Are you serious?"
Counter Attendant: "Yes, that's the policy. You won't make it past customs and to the plane before it takes off."
Me: "1 minute would've made a difference? It was your employee that kept us from getting here anyways by repeatedly asking us to weigh bags that I assured here were under weight."
Counter Attendant: She just looks away
Me: "Can I please speak to a supervisor who may be able to help me?"
Counter Attendant: "I can call him for you but there isn't anything he can do you for. We can put you on the next flight if you would like?"
Me: "Okay"
Counter Attendant: "That will be $100 per person."
Me: "What?? That's unreasonable now."
Counter Attendant: She just doesn't say anything and calls the supervisor
Supervisor: "How can I help you?"
Me: I explain the situation.
Supervisor: "Either you leave the airport or pay the $100 per person."
Me: "Is there nothing you can do?"
Supervisor: "I can call security"

I paid the $300 to them.
It was 6:45 now.
I was inside, infront of the airplane at 6:55 after clearning customs and everything.

I even complained to Air Canada Customer Service online and they were even worse.

It's embarassing having "Canada" in there title. Tourists who come to Canada on an Air Canada flight start there trips with that sort of crap service... Really gives us Canadians a bad name!

Damn that was long....

Last edited:
I just stopped using air canada and repeatedly tell their competitors that If you become like them you will lose my business.

I love Air Canada. I use them all the time. I get to pick my seats for free 2 weeks before my flights. I usually get free bags too. They have nicer seats and personal TV's..

Back
Top Bottom