Advice to get business going | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Advice to get business going

My cousin had a Molly Maid franchise for a while and while she made some money it was a constant problem finding workers with enough ambition to do the job but not so much that they want to start their own business by stealing clients.
Low ambition seems to be popular. For a while we used White Dove Cleaning (I was strongly opposed but my wife thought it was a good idea). I was finally able to terminate them when she was working at home one day and they came and left without ever knowing she was there. House was ~1000 sq ft and they skipped the second floor and then sent us a bill. Screw those guys. They did a crap job even where they "cleaned".

Low ambition seems to be popular. For a while we used White Dove Cleaning (I was strongly opposed but my wife thought it was a good idea). I was finally able to terminate them when she was working at home one day and they came and left without ever knowing she was there. House was ~1000 sq ft and they skipped the second floor and then sent us a bill. Screw those guys. They did a crap job even where they "cleaned".
One of my cousin's workers would treat herself to a luxury whirlpool bath at one client's house including using the client's toiletries. My cousin caught her on a spot check and fired her.

Years back a nieghbour had a cleaning service , she threw a couple “staff” drunk up parties using clients booze and coke she had found . They were at the Bermuda house for a month, however they also had security cameras she did not know about. They had her charged with trespassing ( both lawyers) and contacted her entire client list as a warning . Business gone in 24hrs .

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com

Years back a nieghbour had a cleaning service , she threw a couple “staff” drunk up parties using clients booze and coke she had found . They were at the Bermuda house for a month, however they also had security cameras she did not know about. They had her charged with trespassing ( both lawyers) and contacted her entire client list as a warning . Business gone in 24hrs .

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com
That’s a special kind of stupid….

My wife saw cleaners helping themselves to food and clients clothes and Knick knacks. Hence why she doesn’t want to deal with it

Spoke with dad and this decision is a go. Got some old business cards we found, and he's asked me to create a small / simple flyer.

I'll start handing them out this week in the evenings in the local area. He told me to see if I can get any starter clients, and he'll reach out to his network of those that are still alive.

I'm thinking starting small with some painting, some trim work, etc. Nothing too major.

For now we'll focus on people that want contractors in the house on weekends as I know lots of people complain about having to stick around during the day so a contractor can show.

Any recommendations on advertising this? Tips on reaching out stores / restaurants that need painting after hours? I know there used to be tender sites for different companies / municipalities but those require heavy bonding / insurance / financing etc.

Also as some recommended here earlier, condos would be a great source of clients but need to figure out a way to advertise in the condo directly.

Majority are under lock and security, so I'm sure there's opportunities there too.

Spoke with dad and this decision is a go. Got some old business cards we found, and he's asked me to create a small / simple flyer.

I'll start handing them out this week in the evenings in the local area. He told me to see if I can get any starter clients, and he'll reach out to his network of those that are still alive.

I'm thinking starting small with some painting, some trim work, etc. Nothing too major.

For now we'll focus on people that want contractors in the house on weekends as I know lots of people complain about having to stick around during the day so a contractor can show.

Any recommendations on advertising this? Tips on reaching out stores / restaurants that need painting after hours? I know there used to be tender sites for different companies / municipalities but those require heavy bonding / insurance / financing etc.

Also as some recommended here earlier, condos would be a great source of clients but need to figure out a way to advertise in the condo directly.

Majority are under lock and security, so I'm sure there's opportunities there too.
Facebook is not a terrible place to start. Targeting your local community group means your clients are close (and may be more likely to trust you as they have seen you before).

I don't think you want to work for a condo corp. To work for individual owners, you need to get an in. RE agents could be a good start as they often want things done prior to listing. Paint, throw up a backsplash, replace the door that had a mug thrown through it, etc. Not huge money but a quick in and out job.

I have no idea about required licensing/insurance in mississauga. Don't attract attention from by-law. The most likely source of trouble will be competition throwing you under the bus.

Condo buildings may require all the proper paper work to have any work done in there. WSIB, insurance etc.

Word of mouth and Facebook for now are good start.

Fantastic, I may have some small jobs come the summer time.
Starting small is always the best way in my opinion. Keep it simple so it is easy to ramp up or ramp down based on your schedule, work load etc.
When you get all "high-tech" people start to have expectations...

I need a side hustle for my property... Any idea's? (Sorry to highjack)
5 clear acres and a empty 2000+ sqft barn

I believe the Post Office still handles deliveries! You used to be able to specify an area code (or portions of) and they can tell how many flyers you would need. This way your flyer gets put in an actual mail box. Not cheap but you can target a small area. If you get ant response try to fond out who is on the condo board. Does not hurt to offer to buy lunch and meet in person.

Condo buildings may require all the proper paper work to have any work done in there. WSIB, insurance etc.

Word of mouth and Facebook for now are good start.
WSIB is complicated in his situation. If he hires an employee, he has to get it but if only owners are employees, he can't get it until a client forces him too and then he can get "optional" WSIB coverage. Once you have optional coverage setup, you have clearance certificates and can keep it going forever The system is stupid.

Last edited:
I believe the Post Office still handles deliveries! You used to be able to specify an area code (or portions of) and they can tell how many flyers you would need. This way your flyer gets put in an actual mail box. Not cheap but you can target a small area. If you get ant response try to fond out who is on the condo board. Does not hurt to offer to buy lunch and meet in person.
That's pretty cheap. I know someone that did that for an impending election. They strongly disliked one candidate so they sent out a scathing flyer to the constituents. Quite hilarious if you ask me. No connection at all to any other candidate so apparently that didn't violate any election laws. Advertising your business seems much less dodgy. I think my buddy paid something like $1000 to hit every mailbox in the riding.

Haha yes I know of the PC doing deliveries. I'll just hit up some of our local posties and give them some Lemoncello and a stack of envelopes to dump into the condo buildings on their routes lol

Honestly I was just planning on going for a walk in the neighbourhood, and just drop flyers off into mailboxes so long as they don't have 'no soliciting' on the door / mailbox.

Tick off each street, and just go further and further out with each iteration.

EDIT: To the WSIB point, last time I spoke with them it's NOT required if you're just doing the work on your own. My wife doesn't need it, and the only reason we had it last time is because a basement renovation we were doing needed it. So we got the WSIB certificate and could show it.

Insurance is another issue, but I'll worry about it later as for now...I need to hand some things out.

A neighbour advertises his handyman services on one of those sketchy online sites. Maybe backdoor? I don't remember. The one where you get a flyer that says a friend referred you and you should sign up. If you do sign-up, they are a cesspool of scammers. Apparently there are some real people in their too. He does christmas lights for $3-5 per lf labour, you supply the lights. Cough. Good for him.

Yeah Facebook market place, and kijiji would be a start. Maybe after checking after with the personal network. Referrals are the best.
How does you wife promote herself? She could always mention you are doing this to her clients if there is a fit.

Yeah Facebook market place, and kijiji would be a start. Maybe after checking after with the personal network. Referrals are the best.
How does you wife promote herself? She could always mention you are doing this to her clients if there is a fit.
Good point. She actually started off like that. Hundreds of flyers, initial 2-5 clients, and the rest (up to 50 clients) was all word of mouth and personal recommendations.

Fantastic, I may have some small jobs come the summer time.
Starting small is always the best way in my opinion. Keep it simple so it is easy to ramp up or ramp down based on your schedule, work load etc.
When you get all "high-tech" people start to have expectations...

I need a side hustle for my property... Any idea's? (Sorry to highjack)
5 clear acres and a empty 2000+ sqft barn
Raise and sell fresh meat. Chickens, goats, sheep, cattle, etc.

I buy my full chickens (regardless of weight) for $25/each at a farmer near the cottage. Delicious! And the eggs, while not cheap, are fantastic compared to any of the store bought.

Raise and sell fresh meat. Chickens, goats, sheep, cattle, etc.

I buy my full chickens (regardless of weight) for $25/each at a farmer near the cottage. Delicious! And the eggs, while not cheap, are fantastic compared to any of the store bought.
Good idea, but not my cup of tea.
Plus I think some form of government would be involved and they can all suck it.

I would do eggs, but we are slightly off the beaten path. so not sure about sales etc.

I'm thinking of making some type of widget, but for the life of me I am drawing blanks...

Good idea, but not my cup of tea.
Plus I think some form of government would be involved and they can all suck it.

I would do eggs, but we are slightly off the beaten path. so not sure about sales etc.

I'm thinking of making some type of widget, but for the life of me I am drawing blanks...
Bottle country air. Sell it to city folk.

On a more serious note, what is MIL up to? A friends mom loved to make pies. Mom would make 2+ pies a day. The only way to use them up fast enough was selling them so they opened a pie stand. Money bought more supplies. You could grow the fruits to go in the pies.

Back
Top Bottom