ADV fad | Page 6 | GTAMotorcycle.com

ADV fad

well, bmw has always been function over form
I have an engineer friend. Every time I see him, his BMW is torn apart in his garage.
I'm not sure that that's the primary function of a motorcycle.

I get it though.

In the western world, motorcycles are primarily about image first, function second. Very different from the way motorcycles are used in developing nations.

It's the minority of riders who actually use these bikes for their intended purpose. The rest are doing things like putting helibars, comfort seats, sport-touring tires and and heated grips on supersports.

Or buying an ADV bike to go to Starbucks.

To each their own. It's your money, spend it however you want to.

We're all riders in the end and we all love motorcycles, so it's all good.
I guess I'd fit into the eastern view of a motorcycle. I run around town on a 125CC enduro, there is nowhere I can exceed 70kmh in town. I can steal a cup of fuel from my lawnmower and ride for 1/2 hour.

Work is 20 minutes away, some of that on the 404 so I need something that can comfortably run at 130 but still be nimble enough for the city parts of the run. For that I use a 650 (unless I'm late, then I go to a 1300).

I have an engineer friend. Every time I see him, his BMW is torn apart in his garage.
I'm not sure that that's the primary function of a motorcycle.
Maybe hes just a tinkerer, some people need to tear everything apart and fix what isnt broken

R1200C is a perfect example. They all do it tho. Look up Ducati's Indiana.

What bike have you got?

I know he's been gone for quite some time. I read GTAM daily, but must have missed the fuss. What happened?
you know what, i was never able to figure it out. something with @Wingboy

What bike have you got?

I know he's been gone for quite some time. I read GTAM daily, but must have missed the fuss. What happened?
An Ossa trials rider showed up at his Arden event with his 12yr old child. The child rode the event without a cma license which is required. Trials submitted the scorecard (he could have just thrown it out) and the young rider was banned from cma competition.
Trials thinks that the Ossa rider is me.
I have never been to his property. And have never met him.

Last edited:
Actually the trend in ADV as of late is actually smaller les powerful lighter bikes.
My 1190 is no longer produced and yes it was replace by the 1290 but they have also started producing the 890 classed as a middle weight ADV it’s lighter better balanced has cruise and all the bell and whistles of big brother.
yes There is an update for the 1200 Triumph Tiger coming but they also have the 900. It’s no different than every other style of bike.
You are correct they put more options on the bigger more expensive bikes but that hasn’t been any different In any bike style.
No one ever needed an RC51, R1, BMW s100rr or evening an R6 for that matter.
Yet Ducati still builds a 200+hp super sport, KTM still builds a 180hp super naked. Every single bike I’ve mentioned is fast too fast for any trail or Ontario roads, what ever bike you ride is probably excessive in its own way.
A 450 moto x is absolutely mental and too fast for the woods. There is no need for 450’s in the trails. There is an argument for or against any type of bike The beauty is they keep building all the models so we can choose the bike that suits us.
I test road the KTM 890 Adventure and didn’t really like it. It‘s plenty fast but the power delivery out of the parallel twin was muted in comparison to my 1190 v twin. It has cruise control and mine doesn’t. It’s seat was more narrow and not as comfortable, but it was lighter with a lower cg. I have a friend taking delivery next spring of a Triumph Tiger 900 rally pro, it’s replacing his 650 vstrom. He’s not really interested in the power gains but the suspension and various other options. But it will see dirt and lots of it.

Even the middle weights are quite heavy. A T7 is 450lbs and when you add the crash bars (OEM 11lbs), skid plate (Camel ADV 7lbs), hand guards, etc, you're looking at 470lb+. And that's without any luggage. It's progress but they're still pigs.

I'd really like to see more competition in the lightweight ADV segment. Right now it seems like the Versys X 300 and the KTM 390 Adv are the only real options if you want something that's actually capable of long highway stints (sorry RE Himalayan and CRF300 Rally) that's still decent in the dirt.

<300 lbs wet weight
>400 km tank range
Good power for both hauling luggage, passing trucks on the interstate and putting a smile on your face
Good ergos for highway and dirt
Maintenance intervals measured in kms not hours
Cheap to buy and maintain

Unfortunately unicorns don't exist.

KTM 690 with a rally tank? Not sure how it would be on the highway though.

KTM 690 with a rally tank? Not sure how it would be on the highway though.
They're pretty good on the highway actually. Well over 300 lbs. though, and I wouldn't say cheap either.

Really the only impossible dream from the list is under 300 lbs.

Truer words have never been spoken.

This is my light dual-purpose bike:

IMG_8865-X4.jpg

Street legal. 250 lbs. 40hp. A juicy power-to-weight ratio for the trails. 130 km/h on the highway all day.

I even got some luggage for it, 40L of carrying capacity.

Have I done 500km days on it?

Yes, but I didn't like it...

What bike is that?

well, bmw has always been function over form
As a designer I appreciate form following function but sometimes bmw just does stupid stuff. Three buttons to operate the signals when everyone else uses one for example or one of my favorites was the folding key because it was in the wind on a headlight ear instead of out the wind where most others put it.

Back
Top Bottom