ADV fad | Page 5 | GTAMotorcycle.com

ADV fad

Exactly
Im no Chris Birch any more than all these guys on their SS are Rossi.
But just the same you can enjoy off-road rides without flying through the air just the same as a Super sport is an enjoyable experience at under 200kmph
That is true.

I don't do much off-road these days, but when I did I preferred to use a dirtbike. I had friends that tried the early dual-sports (KLRs, XR650s, DR 6xx...) back in the day, they were OK on the road, could pack like mules, and do miles more comfortably than an enduro, but they couldn't stay with street bikes on pavement or enduros off the pavement.

Turns out most riders just wanted a little more road comfort and reasonable manners on rough and dirt roads ... bring on the Adv. Without customers demanding single track capability, ADV became more highway mannered than their dual-sport predecessors. Strangely this is full circle as the pre UJM motorcycle was more like an ADV than any other class.

The ADV class gets a little muddy these days, it covers a lot of range -- some bikes are designed to be pounded all day hard on rough roads, some dressed to look like they could be pounded all day on rough roads. Nice to have so many choices.

Most cruisers are used for Tims meet-up.
Most sport bikes never seen a track.
Most ADV bikes never leave pavement.
Honestly the only bikes that are regularly bought for their actual purpose are scooters and trial bikes.

Where's Trials when we really need him ?
pretty sure he hasn't logged back in on that account since the dust up.

I get it though.

In the western world, motorcycles are primarily about image first, function second. Very different from the way motorcycles are used in developing nations.

It's the minority of riders who actually use these bikes for their intended purpose. The rest are doing things like putting helibars, comfort seats, sport-touring tires and and heated grips on supersports.

Or buying an ADV bike to go to Starbucks.

To each their own. It's your money, spend it however you want to.

We're all riders in the end and we all love motorcycles, so it's all good.

Honestly the only bikes that are regularly bought for their actual purpose are scooters and trial bikes.
Funny you say that about trials bikes. A lot of used competition bikes go to people that want to just trail ride. They end up at the back of the shed.

Funny you say that about trials bikes. A lot of used competition bikes go to people that want to just trail ride.

A friend of mine got a trials bike just for that. Dirt bikes were too tall and heavy for her, so she got a used GasGas and put a seat on it. Super light, super nimble and she can reach the ground.

Excellent way to build skills as well.

Good thing @Trials isn't on here any more. He'd have an absolute conniption fit if he heard about this.

I feel your pain. We rode around for days looking for a Starbucks here:

DSC_0435-X2.jpg

No Starbucks here:
wWd7MsFl.jpg

FWIW I think of my KLR as a very light street bike while at the same time being a porky dirt bike. I don't know if it's an ADV but I've taken it on lots of "adventures"
- it's comfy all day with long travel suspension to hoover up the bumps
- eats gravel roads for breakfast while sipping gas like a Prius
- been down more times than Stormy Daniels with only zip tied rad shrouds to show for it
- at about $2000 it cost me less than some folks spend on luggage

Boxes ticked.

FWIW I think of my KLR as a very light street bike while at the same time being a porky dirt bike. I don't know if it's an ADV but I've taken it on lots of "adventures"
- it's comfy all day with long travel suspension to hoover up the bumps
- eats gravel roads for breakfast while sipping gas like a Prius
- been down more times than Stormy Daniels with only zip tied rad shrouds to show for it
- at about $2000 it cost me less than some folks spend on luggage

Boxes ticked.
When i watched Long Way Round and those two clowns were looking for free bikes,i yelled at the tv...... Buy KLR's ya wankers!

And eventually those wankers got bikes, and made a smallish fortune off the book/movie/speaking engagements. Don't be so quick to judge.

Then a couple years later , they do it again.

And eventually those wankers got bikes, and made a smallish fortune off the book/movie/speaking engagements. Don't be so quick to judge.

Then a couple years later , they do it again.

Neither one of them is hurting for money. Charley’s father is director John Boorman. He was a costar in his movie The Emerald Forest (1985) when he was a kid.

I’m gradually turning into the old fart on the porch yelling at the kids to get off my lawn. I love petro powered retro machines that don’t have Tupperware or amo boxes strapped to them. I like the bark of after market exhaust and a bike that looks good parked but, makes me smile every time a throw a leg over it.

My uncle has a loaded 2015 gs 1200 and it’s a great bike. But it only gets my heart fluttering once I’m riding it. When it’s parked, it does nothing for me.

In a few more years when everything is battery and twist and go with no shifts, I’ll be mad max searching for scarcely found petro to run my outlaw machines.

One may even be a GS one day. Lol ugly as I think it is today.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I’m gradually turning into the old fart on the porch yelling at the kids to get off my lawn. I love petro powered retro machines that don’t have Tupperware or amo boxes strapped to them. I like the bark of after market exhaust and a bike that looks good parked but, makes me smile every time a throw a leg over it.

My uncle has a loaded 2015 gs 1200 and it’s a great bike. But it only gets my heart fluttering once I’m riding it. When it’s parked, it does nothing for me.

In a few more years when everything is battery and twist and go with no shifts, I’ll be mad max searching for scarcely found petro to run my outlaw machines.

One may even be a GS one day. Lol ugly as I think it is today.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
well, bmw has always been function over form

Back
Top Bottom