ADV fad | Page 12 | GTAMotorcycle.com

ADV fad

Until you have to bench press it out of a mud hole.
just do actual bench presses first then 😉

But then you'll struggle with pinecones

Personally I have no delusions of grandeur, and would never bother with serious offroad unless the bike weighs less than 450lbs

I think sensibly, the ratio should be 1-to-2, man to bike.
So you can take a 550 lbs bike offroad, provided you at least weigh half as much as the bike, so 275.

Personally I have no delusions of grandeur, and would never bother with serious offroad unless the bike weighs less than 450lbs

This actually makes you the target demographic for 90% of all Adventure bikes on the market right now.

I think sensibly, the ratio should be 1-to-2, man to bike.
So you can take a 550 lbs bike offroad, provided you at least weigh half as much as the bike, so 275.

Try telling that to Jocelin Snow - 5'1" and 115 lbs.

So she should be riding a 230 lb bike instead of a 600 lb one?

Conversely, you get a newb rider who weighs 250 lbs and it's okay for him to start with a 500 lb Adv bike in the dirt? Let me get my camera phone out to film that one...

One of the guys in our local riding group takes a 790 Adventure R on single track. Rides it like an MX bike. Tall skinny guy, he probably weighs 165 lbs soaking wet with all his gear on. On a 450 lb adventure bike. Hardly a 2:1 ratio.

Body weight doesn't matter. Skill does.

Which is why many of us mere mortals need a 250 lb bike in the dirt.

Last edited:

She could probably kick my ass as well!

Anything over 200lb in the dirt is too heavy for this old fart.

This actually makes you the target demographic for 90% of all Adventure bikes on the market right now.

Conversely, you get a newb rider who weighs 250 lbs and it's okay for him to start with a 500 lb Adv bike in the dirt? Let me get my camera phone out to film that one...

One of the guys in our local riding group takes a 790 Adventure R on single track. Rides it like an MX bike. Tall skinny guy, he probably weighs 165 lbs soaking wet with all his gear on. On a 450 lb adventure bike. Hardly a 2:1 ratio.

generalizations apply to the general public(aka us), and not the highly skilled rider of course, since the overwhelming number of us dont possess the skills of a pro-super-elite level rider to take a bike that is considerably bigger than us and make it to magical things

Size doesnt equal skill, what it does mean, is that when a big rider drops a bike, he might have an easier time picking it up, although this will provide diminishing returns as you get more tired and the day grows longer

generalizations apply to the general public(aka us), and not the highly skilled rider of course, since the overwhelming number of us dont possess the skills of a pro-super-elite level rider to take a bike that is considerably bigger than us and make it to magical things

Size doesnt equal skill, what it does mean, is that when a big rider drops a bike, he might have an easier time picking it up, although this will provide diminishing returns as you get more tired and the day grows longer

Lifiting a dropped bike is a small, small part of riding dirt. Being able to handle and save a bike from a potential crash is much easier with a lighter motorcycle regardless of how much you weigh. If you're unskilled, you're better off with a lighter bike - again, no matter how much you weigh.

But on the topic of lifting dropped bikes, I've met a lot of out-of-shape 250 lb dudes that wouldn't be able to lift what a fit 115 lb woman could.

I'm just going to leave this here:

I really don’t think 890 to 1190 is that much of a spread. If you can’t handle a big bike then a mid weight is probably too big as well.
now if your comparing a 1290 SA to a DRZ400 then yes there is considerable difference.
I have lifted my bike over a log or out of a hole in the sand that appeared out of nowhere under my tire. Like wise I have done the same with the 890.
it’s not that different.
I have picked up both bikes after a drop. Virtually the same lift.
Technique will help you a lot more than the weight savings.

Speaking of ADV bikes, my buddy just traded in her XT225 for a Ducati Scrambler:

IMG_20211211_111306-X2.jpg

She's gonna use it for FSRs and light trail duty. Cool-looking bike.

Got me thinking now...

Speaking of ADV bikes, my buddy just traded in her XT225 for a Ducati Scrambler:

Got me thinking now...
Got me thinking; for light trail duty, I'd have kept the xt225.

Better to have two bikes than a beast of an adv.
Lightweight dirtbike or slightly porky-er dual sport, and a proper streetbike.

Better than a so-so adv beast.

I'm not Pol Tarres. I'm not 6'7" and a trials champion... I'm not entering Romaniacs on a T7 as a publicity stunt.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

Got me thinking now...

Loved the desert sled when they first came out.

This video has pause about pulling the trigger a bit. It’s not a show stopper but, it is a bit of a head scratcher….

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Got me thinking; for light trail duty, I'd have kept the xt225.
You can only ride one at a time. If your out riding and find a gravel road that gets a little sketchy you can‘t switch bikes.
Better to have two bikes than a beast of an adv.
Lightweight dirtbike or slightly porky-er dual sport, and a proper streetbike.

Better than a so-so adv beast.
who said anything about a so-so adv beast.
1190 Adventure is a “proper” street bike in every sense. Even with tkc 80 tires it can way out perform any reasonable street rides in speed or distance.
I'm not Pol Tarres. I'm not 6'7" and a trials champion... I'm not entering Romaniacs on a T7 as a publicity stunt.
I’m 5’9” with 30” legs 220lbs kinda fat and 45 years old
Far from a beast of a man.
I just started off-road riding bikes this year on my 1190. It’s not that hard.
That said.
I don’t know about you but I’m not entering Romaniacs or anything close on anything other than an Xbox

I can attest that my 1190 and the 890 I have rode are far more capable in most situations street and off-road than the rider. I cruise along at a spirited pace and ride within my abilities.
This post is not meant as an insult to Matt365 or any others that think adv bikes are too fat for off-road and crap on the street.
Just a friendly debate about bikes.

Last edited:
Question
How fast would one ride across tame trails on an XT225 type trail bike?

Back in my younger years I would rip through Northumberland and Ganny forests at absolutely mental speeds on a full race prepped TRX450R. Those days are long gone. Now I’m content to ride the trails at a little faster than the utility Atvs I come up on.

We all know the posted speed limit is too slow so how fast is too fast?
Im thinking that current adv bikes are plenty capable on the street to hold their own on any rides. So what’s the problem?

Before my 1190 I had a Harley Davidson Road Glide. Some would say a pretty capable touring machine. In my opinion the 1190 is just as comfortable for a 600km day in the saddle. My tail bone hurts less now and I actually have more luggage capacity. So yup it’s a touring bike too.

Sorry guys they are the ultimate do all bikes.😉

Yes, absolutely no difference between a 600lb bike and a 200lb bike.
#disneyland #dontspoilthefantasy #1flewoverthecuckoosnest

Welp….there go my excuses…

You can only ride one at a time. If your out riding and find a gravel road that gets a little sketchy you can‘t switch bikes.

who said anything about a so-so adv beast.
1190 Adventure is a “proper” street bike in every sense. Even with tkc 80 tires it can way out perform any reasonable street rides in speed or distance.

I’m 5’9” with 30” legs 220lbs kinda fat and 45 years old
Far from a beast of a man.
I just started off-road riding bikes this year on my 1190. It’s not that hard.
That said.
I don’t know about you but I’m not entering Romaniacs or anything close on anything other than an Xbox

I can attest that my 1190 and the 890 I have rode are far more capable in most situations street and off-road than the rider. I cruise along at a spirited pace and ride within my abilities.
This post is not meant as an insult to Matt365 or any others that think adv bikes are too fat for off-road and crap on the street.
Just a friendly debate about bikes.
Definitely not insulted.

I'll lead group rides on my wr250x. I get destroyed in the straights (it'll do 130kph like its going to explode), but I'm hard to catch in the corners. This is on supermoto 17" rims.

Offroad, I can go 90% of the places a proper enduro bike can go.

Took a friend on his Triumph Tiger (1200 I think?) To my local atv trails. We stayed away from the tight single track.
First down hill, he hit the deck pretty good. Tweaked his back. Trying to pick up that 600+ pound beast was awful... bike was pointed across a corner in a 45° downhill. A couple dirtbike guys came around the corner and gave us a hand.
Bent his crash bars. Took out a mirror. Scratches are good stories.

Gravel roads? Sure.
Jeep trails? Great.
Single track for mere mortals? Good luck.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk
0091d0738b02f23a195d87ecfabefae4.jpg

Back
Top Bottom