ADV fad | Page 11 | GTAMotorcycle.com

ADV fad

This is exactly what's wrong with "What do you guys think of this bike/tire/wheel/brake/etc?" questions on the Interweb.

We don't know how you ride, how aggressive you are, what your level of expertise is. In turn, you don't know the same about the person answering the question either. Just look at all the responses above, they're all over the place.

My friend bought a F650 Dakar as her first bike. 21" front, 90/10 tires. Never rode dirt with it. She rode streets and highway 100%. Never complained a thing about the handling. Me, the first hard corner I took on that bike, I was like, "nope nope nope".

Best thing to do is to try to book a test ride with a bike with 21" wheels and make up your own mind. It'd be a shame to pass a bike over just because of someone else's opinion - someone who rides entirely different than you do.
I have a 21" on my SP125, I can take just about any corner I find in 6th gear, WOT.

Good news....its coming to canada after 3 years
REALLY liking these colors(R version not the S)

2021-KTM-1290-Super-Adventure-R-35-scaled.jpg
I thought you had an aversion to 21" front wheels?

It is pretty cool, and I'm sure a hoot to ride.

If the opportunity were to arise I'd let you try my 1090R to experience the 21" and feel for yourself how it rides on road.

Found this in my pile of motorcycle mags and thought it was great. An OG ADV bike going through some proper testing 😁
Mmm.. the warm, comforting embrace of the good old days.

I have been re-reading Max Burns' book of his collected articles. They have aged well, and are still great.

You'll need a pass (either annual or day pass) to ride the Ganny. $30 for the day.

I normally pick it up beforehand at the PetroCan on 35/115 just north of Orono, but you can also buy it online:

I think if you have an OFTR membership, you may be able to ride parts of the Ganny without a pass, someone will correct me on that, I'm sure.
Need is a strong word. The last time I went (couple weeks ago) was the first time I actually had a pass in my pocket. 33.50$ to be exact.

Need is a strong word. The last time I went (couple weeks ago) was the first time I actually had a pass in my pocket. 33.50$ to be exact.
Still cheaper than a over $500 fine if they stop you.Depending on what you don't have with you.

I was there when they stopped four guys and all got tickets for over $700 no plate no insurance,no pass....
I've heard the stories like that and am onside with it. The forest is private property so without a pass you're trespassing.

At the same time, they're not unreasonable. If you're plonking along on your ADV bike on the 2 central main roadways they're not going to bother you, but if you're relatively deep into the forest it's 50/50. Its not just bikes either, as they'll stop cars & trucks too.

Getting a ticket depends on your attitude to some degree. A couple years ago I was getting the stink eye from a cop on an ATV while I was driving along the road near the east parking lot but after giving him a wave he smiled and waved back enthusiastically.

I've heard the stories like that and am onside with it. The forest is private property so without a pass you're trespassing.

At the same time, they're not unreasonable. If you're plonking along on your ADV bike on the 2 central main roadways they're not going to bother you, but if you're relatively deep into the forest it's 50/50. Its not just bikes either, as they'll stop cars & trucks too.

Getting a ticket depends on your attitude to some degree. A couple years ago I was getting the stink eye from a cop on an ATV while I was driving along the road near the east parking lot but after giving him a wave he smiled and waved back enthusiastically.
The new guy running the forest goes by the book.

I was there when they stopped four guys and all got tickets for over $700 no plate no insurance,no pass....
Gotta think a big chunk was no plate or ins. Still better to get the pass. It pays for the trails.

New DesertX was just revealed. Looks pretty “authentic”. You can even buy an extra fuel tank as an accessory!

Attachments

• 9714E3F6-D257-47EF-8116-E70193942BE0.jpeg
    9714E3F6-D257-47EF-8116-E70193942BE0.jpeg
    677.7 KB · Views: 14
  • 93D3589B-D520-40C5-91B5-8F9856C472C7.jpeg
    93D3589B-D520-40C5-91B5-8F9856C472C7.jpeg
    505.2 KB · Views: 14
New DesertX was just revealed. Looks pretty “authentic”. You can even buy an extra fuel tank as an accessory!
crazy how everyone is getting in on the middleweight-ish adventure bike market

Either more people do offroad than I realized, or more people buy these because they're more affordable than the big dogs (or both)

speaking of...the desert x just dropped, 19k

Last edited:
I bought my 1190 used with 12,000km and lots of the additional parts that I intended to buy already on the bike. A year before the 790 came out.
At first I wondered if I would regret not waiting. There was a lot of hype at the time that it was going to be a game changer.
I test rode a 1090R and instantly fell in love with the bike just not the height.

The things I like about my 1190 over the 1090 are
Bit more power although not necessary
The electronic suspension over the manual adjust
Slightly lower seat height
19/17” tires have a stockier stance I can’t say it helps much on road or hurts my off-road that much. Good comprise
I really like the grey colour
I saved a good chunk of money over buying the new 1090 especially with the extras all of which would have been purchased.

This past summer a friend bought an 890 and I had the opportunity to ride it for a couple hours. Although I’m happy with my bike and have no intention to trade it in. I’m way to far down the accessory rabbit hole for that.
I have to say I wasn’t impressed with the bike.
Not underpowered but definitely under torqued. It just didn’t feel as good as the 1190 when you crack on it. I only rode on the street but it didn’t feel that much lighter. The seat was more narrow and hard.
The bike was the same as mine in spirit but everything was turned down.
The short
I wouldn’t trade my 2015 1190 Adventure with 40,000km for a new 890 adventure S.

I bought my 1190 used with 12,000km and lots of the additional parts that I intended to buy already on the bike. A year before the 790 came out.
At first I wondered if I would regret not waiting. There was a lot of hype at the time that it was going to be a game changer.
I test rode a 1090R and instantly fell in love with the bike just not the height.

The things I like about my 1190 over the 1090 are
Bit more power although not necessary
The electronic suspension over the manual adjust
Slightly lower seat height
19/17” tires have a stockier stance I can’t say it helps much on road or hurts my off-road that much. Good comprise
I really like the grey colour
I saved a good chunk of money over buying the new 1090 especially with the extras all of which would have been purchased.

This past summer a friend bought an 890 and I had the opportunity to ride it for a couple hours. Although I’m happy with my bike and have no intention to trade it in. I’m way to far down the accessory rabbit hole for that.
I have to say I wasn’t impressed with the bike.
Not underpowered but definitely under torqued. It just didn’t feel as good as the 1190 when you crack on it. I only rode on the street but it didn’t feel that much lighter. The seat was more narrow and hard.
The bike was the same as mine in spirit but everything was turned down.
The short
I wouldn’t trade my 2015 1190 Adventure with 40,000km for a new 890 adventure S.
agreed

no replacement for displacement.

Many places have an honour system for payment, like the TTC streetcars. Just because they don't check, doesn't make it right to skip the payment.

I have friends who work at the local OHV park. They were in charge of clearing the fallen trees and making them trail-ready. They get paid a pittance, most of the OHV fees go into equipment. If you don't pay the fees the trails don't get maintained.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom