900,000 students coming in… | Page 6 | GTAMotorcycle.com

900,000 students coming in…

Germany spends about the same as Canada on public education relative to population and GDP.

Turns out the results are a bit better for Canadians.

Have to disagree. Given the choice between a Canadian grad and a German grad of a stem program the German grad would be chosen every time. Want to hazard a guess why there’s not many German grads over here? Simply speaking they have their choice of positions and so why would they come to a middle tier location?

I agree with most of point 2, none of point one.

Building campus housing is a quick and dirty way to increase housing stock. Most universities have this for 1st year students, build a few apartment blocks would return thousands of homes to the local markets.

Universities should not be landlords. Public institutions are not efficient, they would undoubtedly lose money. Leave landlording to property management professionals, take a room tax instead.

Don’t invest in education and we are forever a country mainly known for lumber and mining.

Edit: So we do have a presence in programming and a small presence in the burgeoning AI area but it’s pretty localized.

Last edited:
I don't agree with all of that, Canada is among the most innovative, and would do even better. Canadian universities need to be more in touch with needs of the workplace markets they are feeding.

Big Canadian U's quota strong programs to maintain prestige. This hurts 2 ways - starves the market, and allows lesser capable U's to offer programs at inferior levels.

Innovative? Not globally. Funds for research grants in Canada have been static and well below the US for years. Do we do well with what we have? By necessity yes. Are we on par? Not by a long shot.

Edit. No idea why that’s copied the French version.

“It should be noted, however, that some of the components included in Bloomberg’s general innovation index are inputs in the innovation process, such as spending on research and development (R&D) or postsecondary education, which is Canada’s weak spot (37th in the world).”

Last edited:
I agree with most of point 2, none of point one.

Building campus housing is a quick and dirty way to increase housing stock. Most universities have this for 1st year students, build a few apartment blocks would return thousands of homes to the local markets.

Universities should not be landlords. Public institutions are not efficient, they would undoubtedly lose money. Leave landlording to property management professionals, take a room tax instead.

Thing is…there aren’t the rooms to tax!

Have to disagree. Given the choice between a Canadian grad and a German grad of a stem program the German grad would be chosen every time. Want to hazard a guess why there’s not many German grads over here? Simply speaking they have their choice of positions and so why would they come to a middle tier location?
I'll take a guess! We send the back after a year. Then we don't make that hiring mistake again.

If you want someone who is highly trained to do one single thing, for their whole career, then I'd agree - giant companies with slowly evolving products. But if you require out of the box thinking, technical flexibility, leadership capability, or business sense... no va... they are trained to stay in their tech boxes.

I'll take a guess! We send the back after a year. Then we don't make that hiring mistake again.

If you want someone who is highly trained to do one single thing, for their whole career, then I'd agree - giant companies with slowly evolving products. But if you require out of the box thinking, technical flexibility, leadership capability, or business sense... no va... they are trained to stay in their tech boxes.

Ahh. What’s your experience of working with German stem grads and postdocs ? Because mine, my old boss (UK), my next boss after that (France) and after that in Canada (multiple teams) is 180 degrees away from that. There’s really not much competition. The Germans graduate very good students and we were lucky when we got one. They absolutely can work on their own and they aren’t automatons for single dictated tasks. They work hard and play hard.

Now take a look at the innovation figures. We don’t come close to Germany, wonder why that is? The stats seem to show that they can absolutely work outside the box more than we can!

The data doesn’t support your statement and neither does my experience. We punch well above our weight with what we have but there’s different leagues here.

Last edited:
Ahh. What’s your experience of working with German stem grads and postdocs ? Because mine, my old boss (UK), my next boss after that (France) and after that in Canada (multiple teams) is 180 degrees away from that. There’s really not much competition. The Germans graduate very good students and we were lucky when we got one. They absolutely can work on their own and they aren’t automatons for single dictated tasks. They work hard and play hard.

Now take a look at the innovation figures. We don’t come close to Germany, wonder why that is? The stats seem to show that they can absolutely work outside the box more than we can!

The data doesn’t support your statement and neither does my experience. We punch well above our weight with what we have but there’s different leagues here.
My experience with German? Lots - daily. Hourly when I'm at the office.

Way back I had a team of 4 German engineers based in Koln, they did homologation and regulatory approvals in Europe on PC facsimile and networking gear. We had a digital, analog, RF, expert and another trained for regulatory filing. When Poland opened up, we shut the Koln office and did the same with one young Polish engineer -- he did more than those 4 combined.

As for innovation indices, these are complicated and don't get corrected to reflect a country's national priorities. To me, they are largely academic exercises that academics themselves care little about.

Canada does punch above our weight, I think that's because we are more efficient developers of stuff.

My experience with German? Lots - daily. Hourly when I'm at the office.

Way back I had a team of 4 German engineers based in Koln, they did homologation and regulatory approvals in Europe on PC facsimile and networking gear. We had a digital, analog, RF, expert and another trained for regulatory filing. When Poland opened up, we shut the Koln office and did the same with one young Polish engineer -- he did more than those 4 combined.

As for innovation indices, these are complicated and don't get corrected to reflect a country's national priorities. To me, they are largely academic exercises that academics themselves care little about.

Canada does punch above our weight, I think that's because we are more efficient developers of stuff.

To you maybe. To the rest of the world they are accurate metrics of innovation that stand up to scrutiny backed by reams of associated data.

To you maybe. To the rest of the world they are accurate metrics of innovation that stand up to scrutiny backed by reams of associated data.
Are you driving a German car or bike? Have German appliances in your kitchen or laundry? Any Bosch or Metabo in your toolbox?

Are you driving a German car or bike? Have German appliances in your kitchen or laundry?

Japanese and Korean. More countries that invest in education more than we do, they are cheaper than the German appliances that I’d buy if I could afford them.

Japanese and Korean. More countries that invest in education more than we do, they are cheaper than the German appliances that I’d buy if I could afford them.
I think that's my point. Those smart people make a lot of things that are value challenged.

The only things that depreciate faster than German stuff is Italian stuff.

Both Japan and SKorea universities are keyed to their market needs, the don't pump out BA.arts to help Uber, they make engineers for Hyundai an LG.

Canadian U's -- still preoccupied with academic circle jerks.

I think that's my point. Those smart people make a lot of things that are value challenged.

The only things that depreciate faster than German stuff is Italian stuff.

Both Japan and SKorea universities are keyed to their market needs, the don't pump out BA.arts to help Uber, they make engineers for Hyundai an LG.

Canadian U's -- still preoccupied with academic circle jerks.
Your point is that the Germans make enviable high tier tech with worldwide demand? I’m really not sure the directors of Bosch are crying about the state of the used dishwasher market.

So a year of international student education should be cheaper than a year of domestic student education? What is the source of this drivel?
Can't remember the article I pulled from, but it's regarding the students up in Northern Ontario that were camping out in tents (earlier in this thread).

Students want rent at ludicrously low levels…or they’ll go back into tents…

Oh no…

View attachment 63166

Yeah, that’s not based in reality. Back in the UK one of our programs was really popular with Finnish and Norwegian students (natural gas or oil engineering or something) the parking lot was full of sports cars they had bought in the UK as they were “cheap” to them. Opposite problem.

Yeah, that’s not based in reality. Back in the UK one of our programs was really popular with Finnish and Norwegian students (natural gas or oil engineering or something) the parking lot was full of sports cars they had bought in the UK as they were “cheap” to them. Opposite problem.
Should rent geared to income be changed to rent geared to car value?

Seriously, I see premium cars in low rent buildings and I assume a lot were purchased used for half the new price, still giving the owner some snob factor. However MB and BMW still want full price for service and parts when something breaks or wears out. Broken switch on dash, $1600.

Should rent geared to income be changed to rent geared to car value?

Seriously, I see premium cars in low rent buildings and I assume a lot were purchased used for half the new price, still giving the owner some snob factor. However MB and BMW still want full price for service and parts when something breaks or wears out. Broken switch on dash, $1600.

CRA/FINTRAC could find a ton of money laundering by auditing most luxury car dealerships in Markham. When I was at U of T I saw many 20 year olds driving brand new M3s with Town and Country BMW plate frames.

CRA/FINTRAC could find a ton of money laundering by auditing most luxury car dealerships in Markham. When I was at U of T I saw many 20 year olds driving brand new M3s with Town and Country BMW plate frames.
Student finances are a political hot potato that they won't touch. Entire subdivisions of 2M+ houses are being purchased by students going to private school. They don't get counted as foreign buyers even though canadian income is zero.

Student finances are a political hot potato that they won't touch. Entire subdivisions of 2M+ houses are being purchased by students going to private school. They don't get counted as foreign buyers even though canadian income is zero.
I was told the New Zealand slammed the door on foreigners buying property due to similarities to Canadian issues. Nada to foreign buyers.

Housing there is as expensive as Canada but wages are lower. I don't know if earthquake insurance is available at a reasonable cost.

Back
Top Bottom