60hz vs. 120hz | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

60hz vs. 120hz

From someone who installs TVs for a living:
Don't go by specs alone, go and actually watch as many on the TVs your considering as you can. Many look good on paper and look **** in person.
Get 120hz or more, you will notice the difference vs 60hz. But again don't go by specs, watch them. We currently have a lower specs LCD next to a higher spec Plasma but the motion on the LCD is MUCH better. This is rarely the case, but shows how specs can be misleading.
I prefer plasma but newer LCDs with LED backlights are looking very good. Also new plasma's don't weigh nearly as much as they used to. I can lift a 50" Plasma by myself.
I would recommend Panasonic and Sony, as I work with them all the time and they rarely have issues and have excellent support if they do. Sharp and Samsung also make some very nice sets.
I would stay away from LG, they are just not on par with the others. Same with Vizio, they just aren't up to the quality of the Japanese brands.

These are just my opinions. If you need helping hooking it up or mounting in on the wall let me know.

Last edited:
I actually prefer the lower refresh rate. Movies still look like movies, not like being on set. Yes there are certain exceptions (movies with a ton of cgi) but for the most part I don't want it to look ultra real, I want my movies to look like movies, not a cheap production (like you get with high hz because it's uber clear). Just my $.02

That's awesome...thanks everyone...I'll be TV shopping this weekend...Bag of popcorn and lotsa BestBuy / Future shop etc. hopping LOL...
N3wman...I'll keep you in mind for when I need that tv up on the wall...I certainly don't want it falling on the cats.

seriously dont bother with 60 hz...its far too late in the game to be buying that old tech.

120hz minimum nowadays.

for reference, futureshop has a Philips (made by samsung) 120hz LED 46" on sale for 799!!!

you cant beat that price!

I have bought 3 so far and am very very please with the result. Or you can get a Samsung 120hz LED 3d tv for $1200 or 1500 with 2 glasses and shrek 3d...and calibration.

best on the market prices at the moment...go for the phillips, **** 3d...

120 is divisible by 24 (movies) and by 30 (tv). That's why it's so hot and that's why anything above is just a marketing gimmick. As for the specifics... Look into getting a Vizio. They are locally assembled, so some manufacturing money is left in our regional economy, excellent quality and cheaper than the Korean stuff. The Mrs. and I picked up a 55" LED Vizio (LED is really LCD, but the difference is in the backlight... LCD uses compact fluorescents like a normal energy-saving light bulb and LED uses LED's which use even less energy, allow for a thinner profile, less weight and depending on the LED-array, you can get much deeper blacks from it) and we've been very happy with it. It sees quite a bit of daily use. We picked ours up at Costco (they've got a very good selection, sms me if you don't have a card) and TigerDirect has a few in their selection, mostly smaller models.

For the Love of God do NOT get a VIZIO.

Junk! Look up up the phrase 'black screen of death hdtv' on Google .. whats the first thing to pop up? VIZIO.

I bought a Vizio VO42L back in November 2008. It basically sat unused and unplugged until January 2010. I have since used it as a secondary media monitor on my desktop computer since. Yesterday - it's dead. $1000.00 TV, in service 21 months for light duty use, and it's ****ed. Cheap sourced capacitors on the boards are doing them in.

Spend a few more dollars, and a few more hours of research and get an HDTV that is much less of a crap-shoot than Vizio.

For the Love of God do NOT get a VIZIO.

Junk! Look up up the phrase 'black screen of death hdtv' on Google .. whats the first thing to pop up? VIZIO.

I bought a Vizio VO42L back in November 2008. It basically sat unused and unplugged until January 2010. I have since used it as a secondary media monitor on my desktop computer since. Yesterday - it's dead. $1000.00 TV, in service 21 months for light duty use, and it's ****ed. Cheap sourced capacitors on the boards are doing them in.

Spend a few more dollars, and a few more hours of research and get an HDTV that is much less of a crap-shoot than Vizio.

I disagree 100% with everything you just said.

Vizio is not Top of the line but it's definitely not crap.

Vizio is considered second tier with 3rd tier pricing. Making it first tier in value.

Also, Costco is the place to buy TVs. 90 days no hassle returns (no question asked) and 3 year warranty.

That's awesome...thanks everyone...I'll be TV shopping this weekend...Bag of popcorn and lotsa BestBuy / Future shop etc. hopping LOL...
N3wman...I'll keep you in mind for when I need that tv up on the wall...I certainly don't want it falling on the cats.

Check out redflagdeals . A lot of people were getting an additional $200 off the $300 promotion.

I disagree 100% with everything you just said.

Vizio is not Top of the line but it's definitely not crap.

Vizio is considered second tier with 3rd tier pricing. Making it first tier in value.

Also, Costco is the place to buy TVs. 90 days no hassle returns (no question asked) and 3 year warranty.

I got a 70 lb, 2 1/2 year old impromptu baby-gate, formerly a working HDTV that says otherwise.

I've done a fair amount of research in the past 36 hours. The 42" VO42L is one model that is problematic. The 37" and 47" models also have similar issues.

Second tier, with 3rd tier pricing making it first tier in value? Wut? Dead after 2 1/2 years, it's just crap. No matter how pretty it is, or what tier it sits upon. To bring it back to life using a TV shop is a MINIMUM $400.00 cost involved. Who in their right mind thinks it's ok to spend 40% more over and above the original cost of an item in a relatively short period of time?

Vizio may have the market share at present - but that is because they contract out the parts and components to the lowest bidder, assemble it at the lowest cost to them, and pass that on to generate profit on volume.

Use Google, it's easy and free, really! You'll find PLENTY of testimonials on consumer and other AV sites indicating that VIZIO is pumping out plenty of cheap, short life-time, disposable HDTV's to the uninformed masses. These are tight economic times - people will buy anything off the shelves without adequate research first, if it's sales neighbor next to it is priced 30% higher! I could chrome plate a turd and sell it to the uninformed, using that strategy! A lot of these VIZIO tv's are even dying very shortly after purchase! Where do you think the refurbished/recertified VIZIO's found at tigerdirect.ca and elsewhere are coming from?

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/home_electronics/vizio.html
http://www.highdefforum.com/flat-panel-tvs/107681-its-long-shot-vizios-black-screen-death.html
http://bighugethingcomputing.blogspot.com/2011/03/vizio-black-screen-of-death.html
http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=18518
http://reviews.costco.com/2070/1130...s-47-1080p-120hz-lcd-hdtv-reviews/reviews.htm
http://www.epinions.com/reviews/Vizio_L42HDTV_Television
http://www.customerservicescoreboard.com/Vizio
http://www.justanswer.com/tv-repair-topics-vizio/questions.html

ETC...

Disagree if you will, but VIZIO is gaining a problematic reputation, much to my own personal regret.

Thank God i didn't give away my 32" JVC..

I have a 46" Samsung LED TV with 120hz, and it is quite a difference from my older Samsung LCD with only 60 hz. The picture quality is amazing. My bro-in-law has a 55" Samsung LED with 240 hz, but I don't notce much of a difference between that and my 120hz Samsung.
Definately get at least 120 hz.

Use Google, it's easy and free, really! You'll find PLENTY of testimonials on consumer and other AV sites indicating that VIZIO is pumping out plenty of cheap, short life-time, disposable HDTV's to the uninformed masses.

For every bad review I can find 2 that are good. So what's your point?

For every bad review I can find 2 that are good. So what's your point?

So you are saying a statistical failure/dissatisfaction rate of 33% is good?

I would stay away from LG, they are just not on par with the others. Same with Vizio, they just aren't up to the quality of the Japanese brands.

Perhaps you missed N3WMAN's post earlier - do you take issue with his assertion, also?

Last edited:
Personally, I prefer 60Hz because it's what I'm used to. I like my telecine judder just the way it is :) For those of you who feel similarly, you can almost always disable the 120Hz oversampling.

Bandit Bill - thought about having a go with a soldering iron? As long as you haven't had the TV plugged in for a while it should be fairly safe. :p If it's just the caps, in theory that's not too hard to fix. Definitely not $400 worth of labour!

Bandit Bill - thought about having a go with a soldering iron? As long as you haven't had the TV plugged in for a while it should be fairly safe. :p If it's just the caps, in theory that's not too hard to fix. Definitely not $400 worth of labour!

I've thought about giving it a go - my eyesight ain't all it's cracked up to be, but i've got the skill to do so. Need to do some research on the symptoms first before i crack it open. Definitely if it's a Capacitor issue only, i'd be able to repair it. If you throw in Mosfets into the mix, i'm not quite so sure.

It just rankles that i've got to consider doing so, to begin with - especially since some of the packaging tape is still on the TV and it looks pristine!

So you are saying a statistical failure/dissatisfaction rate of 33% is good?

Here's the deal.. You have 1 guy bitching about it, 2 guys ranting and raving how it's the best thing since sliced bread and 9997 guys watching and not bothering to post. The only complaints related to my TV stemmed from the online updates and new installed applications. On a good note CDN model doesn't have network connectivity (not that I need it as my media center does) :cool:

My recommendation is to watch the TV carefully...

I have a 120Hz Panasonic LED TV (TCL42D2). The picture's great, it's very bright, and I like it EXCEPT that there is motion blur. It must be a graphics processor thing, because it really shouldn't be there with 120Hz. I can't notice the same blur on my 6-year-old Samsung LCD monitor, or my other cheaper 60Hz 23" TV from Tiger Direct, or on friends' cheaper 60Hz large LCD screens. Happens with DVD, with Blu-Ray and on HD cable.

It bugs me, but others find they can't notice. I would have rather gone with a less-bright or lower-contrast set that didn't have this issue - but the TV went for a great deal-of-the-day last fall and I bought it on the spot. And my friends rave about the image quality because they don't notice the blurring.

Anyways, try to watch a TV in the store, and try a sports channel with it. Try a few different sets as well.

Motion blur was one of the determining factor for us getting the Vizio. Everything else in the price-range had it and this one just rocked in the action scenes.

What will be your primary source material lil_sushi? Blu-ray, HD broadcast, DVDs, Gaming Consoles, Computers, etc?

Motion blur was one of the determining factor for us getting the Vizio. Everything else in the price-range had it and this one just rocked in the action scenes.

As far as the Vizio goes - i concur - while it was working, i was amazed at the quality of image, and even the sound output as compared to the competition. The problem is, the cost associated with that is pretty darn high, before failure, in my instance - estimated at $31.81 /mo over period of ownership, or $46.27 /mo over the 22 months of actual use.

As far as the overall Vizio documented reliability, as i've found on the internets, and purchasing one now and hoping that quality and longevity has improved - As Clint Eastwood is heard to say, "Do you feel lucky, Punk? .. Well, do ya?".

Back
Top Bottom