4-day work week | GTAMotorcycle.com

4-day work week

Freddy F

Site Supporter
Hmmm...what do you think of this?
As per Blog.to:

The Ontario government is gearing up to introduce new workplace legislation on Friday afternoon that, if passed, would eventually turn every weekend into a long weekend for millions of people in the province.

A source within Queen's Park has confirmed that phase two of the PC government's recently-introduced Working for Workers Act will be unveiled today, bringing forth a whole host of new protections for employees of Ontario businesses.

Among those protections is a first-of-its kind mandate for non-essential workplaces with more than 25 employees: The mandate to cap every work week at four days, max.

The concept of a four-day work week, in which employees work the same number of hours they do usually, but over four days as opposed to five, has been gaining steam in recent years among startups, corporations and even government bodies.

As per Blog.to:

The Ontario government is gearing up to introduce new workplace legislation on Friday afternoon that, if passed, would eventually turn every weekend into a long weekend for millions of people in the province.

A source within Queen's Park has confirmed that phase two of the PC government's recently-introduced Working for Workers Act will be unveiled today, bringing forth a whole host of new protections for employees of Ontario businesses.

Among those protections is a first-of-its kind mandate for non-essential workplaces with more than 25 employees: The mandate to cap every work week at four days, max.

The concept of a four-day work week, in which employees work the same number of hours they do usually, but over four days as opposed to five, has been gaining steam in recent years among startups, corporations and even government bodies.
Good for most people. Makes no difference to me.

As per Blog.to:

It will be a complete cock-up. Everything I have seen was still a 40 hour week but spread over four days instead of five (and your quote follows that approach). It can work really well for some people, for others it is hard to manage.

School will probably still be five days a week from roughly 9:00 to 3:00 (or are they an employer with more than 25 employees so they go to four days too? Government exempts themselves from many things, who knows where it will end up?). Right now families can try to time shift so one parent is available to get kids on/off bus or to/from school. It's hard to have a 10 hour workday that wraps up well before 15:00. For the one dealing with getting them to school, they will get home just before bedtime. Afterschool activities like sports will probably also take a hit as the parent that went to work at 04:00 will probably not be excited about heading out for an evening practice. Assuming school goes to four days a week, do they keep kids for an extra two hours a day or do they just cut the time in class by 20%? Neither solution is great for young kids. As they get older, longer days make more sense (but again, may limit afterschool sports/employment).

Does a four day week mean everybody has friday off or is it shifting schedule where you may have wednesday off, one kid may have tuesday off, one kid has thursday off etc?

Idea is great as an option for some people. My wife used to love working 12 hour shifts to average ~40 hours a week. Cut the commute, gave her time off when the world wasn't busy, etc. Actual implementation will be dog vomit.

It will be a complete cock-up. Everything I have seen was still a 40 hour week but spread over four days instead of five (and your quote follows that approach). It can work really well for some people, for others it is hard to manage.

School will probably still be five days a week from roughly 9:00 to 3:00 (or are they an employer with more than 25 employees so they go to four days too? Government exempts themselves from many things, who knows where it will end up?). Right now families can try to time shift so one parent is available to get kids on/off bus or to/from school. It's hard to have a 10 hour workday that wraps up well before 15:00. For the one dealing with getting them to school, they will get home just before bedtime. Afterschool activities like sports will probably also take a hit as the parent that went to work at 04:00 will probably not be excited about heading out for an evening practice. Assuming school goes to four days a week, do they keep kids for an extra two hours a day or do they just cut the time in class by 20%? Neither solution is great for young kids. As they get older, longer days make more sense (but again, may limit afterschool sports/employment).

Does a four day week mean everybody has friday off or is it shifting schedule where you may have wednesday off, one kid may have tuesday off, one kid has thursday off etc?

Idea is great as an option for some people. My wife used to love working 12 hour shifts to average ~40 hours a week. Cut the commute, gave her time off when the world wasn't busy, etc. Actual implementation will be dog vomit.
Probably accurate.

Getting everyone outside of the business to buy in will be key.

Yes, good for some, un-workable for many. I wonder if this is the latest iteration of pre-election propaganda from the Ontario PCs.
For me, not great, as it will reduce by 20% my access to a lot of my customer sites.

Sent from my SM-A515F using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

Yes, good for some, un-workable for many. I wonder if this is the latest iteration of pre-election propaganda from the Ontario PCs.
For me, not great, as it will reduce by 20% my access to a lot of my customer sites.

Sent from my SM-A515F using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app
Yeah, if you normally work on a different site every day, this could screw you. It's not easy to drive between sites and get a full days work done at both on the same day. I am sure there will be ways to dodge it (separate companies, shift premium, pay the employee to do the job but don't explicitly tell them what day to do it, etc).

Spend 5 seconds on Google and you’ll know this is legit.

Blog.to article has been updated:

April 1, 2022, 12:01 p.m.: April Fools! Sorry for tricking you, folks. To our knowledge, Ontario's current provincial government is not considering a four day-work week mandate. The story below was written as a joke.

That said, the Liberals made this announcement previously:

Since you only need to convince 26% of the population that it's a good idea, I expect every party to float it. More than 26% will think working less days equals working less hours for the same amount of take home money.

A mechanic friend of mine who works for Brampton Transit has a 4-day work week and loves it. Longer hours per day, but either gets Mondays or Fridays off (he can change it around for variety once a quarter I believe).

I've been doing 4day work weeks for the last 5 yrs and it's pretty sweet to tell you the truth. Much better work/life balance, sometimes pull the kids out of school on the weekday to do stuff that is crazy busy during weekends (wonderland etc)

4 10s? Eff that. They can't get me to come in for 8s as it is. No way in hell I'm doing 10. I could possibly agree to 4 8s to get the extra day.

definitely won't work for schools...elementary kids are too young to focus for that length of time...6.5 hours of learning is a stretch already for some of them...high school kids good luck in getting them to stay longer too...might work in the corporate world (maybe have two shifts of workers: one works from Monday to Thursday and another Tuesday to Friday), but other than that, no thanks...as much as I would've liked the idea when I was in the corporate world, as a teacher, not so much...

definitely won't work for schools...elementary kids are too young to focus for that length of time...6.5 hours of learning is a stretch already for some of them...high school kids good luck in getting them to stay longer too...might work in the corporate world (maybe have two shifts of workers: one works from Monday to Thursday and another Tuesday to Friday), but other than that, no thanks...as much as I would've liked the idea when I was in the corporate world, as a teacher, not so much...
You'd flunk me. I'm only good for an hour.

GG gets it. We have enough problems with daylight saving time and time zones.

If they want to do something make a shorter work year. Month(s) off. Reduce unemployment and open up some minds.

Back
Top Bottom