3d printed parts & stuff | Page 5 | GTAMotorcycle.com

3d printed parts & stuff

My buddy set up his entire house for smart devices and is running the server off his Raspberry Pi. Everything is connected, doors, windows, switches, garage door, lights, and exterior gate. Actually pretty slick what he's done with it.

He also designed his entire renovation in 3D SketchUp and had his wife go through the house with an Oculus to make changes before they touched anything. Genius.

Anyway 2 questions:
- is it possible to print with a rubberized / flexible material? We have a kitchen device that has a soft seal and as it's an older model they're hard to come by. I was able to get a seal, but expecting this one to fail with time.
- what would be a good way to 3D print an enclosure for this: https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/...fast-wireless-charging-pad-0357360p.html#srp? I'd like to set up a Qi charger in my Volt so need it to actually HOLD the phone in place.
I always wanted to fully set up my home with smart stuff.. so far only some lights and ecobee..

> seal
Like others said, TPU is your friend. At the same time, do you know if this seal will be in contact with food? If yes then you might need to either coat it in food-safe stuff or look for an alternative (e.g. make a mould from 3d printed plastic and use another material to make the actual seal).

The main issue with food is not even material/contamination from the nozzle but the fact that the part is not solid. There will be micro-gaps between layers and so on. As a result, bacteria will love it and it is almost impossible to completely clean it.

> charger
yup, like @GreyGhost mentioned, modelling existing complex shapes is annoying.. there are some phone apps that allow creating 3d scans based on photos.. also, you can be creative (e.g. a few holes in the existing piece and design your holder that can be mounted using those holes)...

Last edited:
That is cool! Pls post a photo of a print once you use it! I'm wondering how cool e.g. Pi case would look in this filament

Will do. I am likely going to purchase a bigger nozzle too, waiting for approval from the boss

Excited 😜

Anyone have a 3mm printer? I have five spools of Overture PETG 2.85 that I picked up before I knew any better. I've contemplated reviving MP's printer as a 3mm but that is a pretty dumb and not very cost-effective idea (but I may do it anyway if it and I start getting along).

Super impressed with the T Glass. You can make out the word switch

100% infill using lines pattern
0.30 layer height
0.28 initial layer height
100% flow rate

Gonna try a tiny layer height next

Attachments

• 20220117_104209.jpg
    20220117_104209.jpg
    476.8 KB · Views: 19
Little silicone strap to contain tail of watchband snapped. Drew up and printed a replacement. Fixed in under an hour (most of that printing as I went with thin layer as there is a 1.4mm protrusion to stop it sliding). Fusion has changed some things since I last used it(for the worse imo). Mk1 is functional. Mk2 will be better (Smoother shape, more clearance as current one stays in place too well, etc). Wanted to see how PLA felt against the wrist and how it holds up.

Last edited:
^
Why PLA?

PETG + Cura Iron feature is very nicee

^
Why PLA?

PETG + Cura Iron feature is very nicee
Because that's what I had loaded in the printer. I have lots of PETG but only 3mm. For filament that fits in machine I only have PLA and ABS for now. Will add to the stock as projects require it. I'd rather not have a ton of spools around that I then have to babysit to keep moisture under control. ABS printing will start soon, different build plate coming to help with adhesion/release.

I like that there are repositories of projects easily and freely available. That's awesome. It is frustrating how many of the designers have minimal understanding of practical matters. For instance, I printed some ski holders that appeared to do what I needed. I didn't bother checking in advance what hardware was required to mount them. Creator didn't specify hardware. By measuring printed part, I need #10x5" round head screws. Yeah. Those are not easy to come up with. A slightly different design would have made obtaining fasteners simple.

I like that there are repositories of projects easily and freely available. That's awesome. It is frustrating how many of the designers have minimal understanding of practical matters. For instance, I printed some ski holders that appeared to do what I needed. I didn't bother checking in advance what hardware was required to mount them. Creator didn't specify hardware. By measuring printed part, I need #10x5" round head screws. Yeah. Those are not easy to come up with. A slightly different design would have made obtaining fasteners simple.
The libraries are great, bit not all the items are well designed. I just had one printed at the office, a cap for to cover the openings where my hardbags hang. It snapped in fine but didn't properly cover the recess at top and bottom..

1645488456656.png

Not mine but funny. Sprinkle them around Russia until his head explodes.

xt735aso9gl81.jpg

First try at a plug for the pannier holes on the fjr.20220211_074814.jpg

Locks in place nicely, not tall enough. Try again.

Back
Top Bottom