3d printed parts & stuff | GTAMotorcycle.com

3d printed parts & stuff

GreenPlane

Hey guys, I'm 3d printing and designing stuff for quite some time now and I was wondering if you've printed/designed anything for your bikes? I'm thinking about installing some dash cams and would definitely need to print some brackets for it (yeah, I know that I can just bend some metal but it is not that fun). However, I didn't design anything else for my bike and looking forward to seeing if you had some awesome ideas.. Let's share all of these ideas here and maybe be even model..

Btw, let me know if you need to design/print something. I might help you out similar as I designed a lot of stuff for my friends. Why? Just because I freaking love designing something in CAD software and then being able to touch it once printed.. Mind you, I'm not offering any commercial services and as a result, no guarantees for anything : ))

I designed and printed an exhaust hanger for my track bike a few years ago. Haven't played with the 3d printer much after the initial novelty wore off though. May get back into it this winter.

I just bought a new air compressor and am starting to fabricate (Cut and weld) some bolt-on brackets to top mount a hose reel. I won't know what it will look like until it's finished.

I rarely fully design anything completely, just cut and modify as I go. Making drawings is too much like asking for directions. Still, the Luddite in me is always interested in what's happening in the non Luddite world.

I spent some time yesterday watching a CNC machine cut out plywood boat parts at Noahs.

I designed and printed an exhaust hanger for my track bike a few years ago. Haven't played with the 3d printer much after the initial novelty wore off though. May get back into it this winter.
Interesting, do you still use that hanger? What material did you use? Regular PLA? Based on my experience, PLA parts do deform a bit if they are under constant stress all the time after a few weeks/months, did you experience the same with your part?

I just bought a new air compressor and am starting to fabricate (Cut and weld) some bolt-on brackets to top mount a hose reel. I won't know what it will look like until it's finished.

I rarely fully design anything completely, just cut and modify as I go. Making drawings is too much like asking for directions. Still, the Luddite in me is always interested in what's happening in the non Luddite world.

I spent some time yesterday watching a CNC machine cut out plywood boat parts at Noahs.
I'm mostly using Autodesk Fusion 360 to design stuff. It's actually fascinating to design something in the app and then see it printed. Especially "print-in-place" stuff (i.e. the items that have multiple moving parts but are printed all together and don't require assembling)..

On the other hand, my "drawings" are horrible when I'm making something from e.g. wood.. Once I made a play/work outdoors bench for my daughter and a friend asked for drawings because he wanted to make something similar.. he was laughing when he saw them.. they are not even close to the end result smh..

That compressor is too small for air grinder or other air tools. Good for blowing the dust off and for pumping soccer balls.

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app
I used to service air tools and know how much air they use. With this one the operator has to work the tank reserve. Forget it if it's a production shop. If it's a 120 volt plug-in the constant output is the same regardless of tank size but it works for me. For a hobbyist it works but don't try to paint a whole car.

You can take of wheel nuts with an impact gun but you'll be sipping your coffee between lug nuts as the compressor builds up pressure again.

I was originally going to get a 26 gallon tank but this one is more portable.

Last edited:
That compressor is too small for air grinder or other air tools. Good for blowing the dust off and for pumping soccer balls.

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app
It depends how much time he has. Almost any compressor is sufficient for a 30 second burst and then wait to recharge. Big compressors mean you never have to wait.

What size is that hose? You may want to get a short and fat hose for high draw tools (eg 10' 1/2"). That makes a noticeable difference in the power available.

I built some mounts and other stuff for my car and z900 before.

software: autodesk inventor
material: PLA or PETG

It depends how much time he has. Almost any compressor is sufficient for a 30 second burst and then wait to recharge. Big compressors mean you never have to wait.

What size is that hose? You may want to get a short and fat hose for high draw tools (eg 10' 1/2"). That makes a noticeable difference in the power available.

I sand blasted some spots with a spot blaster powered by a nailer compressor. I got about three seconds before it wasn't worth pointing the gun. For doing ten square inches once every five years it worked for me. Doing a complete truck chassis would be akin to painting the living room with a Q-tip.

I've got something in mind to 3D print, smaller than a hand palm. What software should I use for design as I'm new to this.

Cool thread!

In the past, I've printed some parts for my Honda CT-90 (link). That was a while ago, I was using an old RepRap Mendel, one of the first generation of 3D printers from the early 2010's.

Now I have an Ender 3 and Ender 5-Plus. I print a lot for work and as a hobby (mostly R/C aircraft and drone-related stuff)

I also started a thread on ADVRider about printing an intake boot for my Yamaha DT400 (link). That thread is still active, some people need some intake boots for Yamaha BW80's so one guy just mailed me an original. I'm gonna see if I can replicate it using TPU or TPE, like I did for my DT400. We'll see what happens! It's sort of an on-going experiment, we're still not sure how the TPU will hold up long term. But initial results are good.

I got a BCN3D W50 approved at work ^_^. I'm trying to convince the boss to let me print some personal stuff with it

That thing looks awesome! I especially like the Soluble Supports Mode. Looks like it can allow printing very complicated stuff..

I've got something in mind to 3D print, smaller than a hand palm. What software should I use for design as I'm new to this.
It depends on how complicated your stuff will be. If it is something very simple then even the "3d Builder" app will work (this app is pre-installed on Win10 PCs). If you are going to design something more complicated then I personally really like Autodesk Fusion 360. There is a free version for personal use: Fusion 360 for Personal Use | Fusion 360 | Autodesk. At the same time, there are other options like FreeCAD..

It depends on how complicated your stuff will be. If it is something very simple then even the "3d Builder" app will work (this app is pre-installed on Win10 PCs). If you are going to design something more complicated then I personally really like Autodesk Fusion 360. There is a free version for personal use: Fusion 360 for Personal Use | Fusion 360 | Autodesk. At the same time, there are other options like FreeCAD..
I model but dont print. I really like fusion. It is the one program that autodesk havent been hateful overlords with. In the past I used inventor but it's far too much money for a home gamer. For work, I have bricscad which can do 3d modeling but I havent played with that part of it.

Google sketchup is always overlooked and is very newbie friendly too. It was much better when it wasn't web based though.
Good point. I cant make sketchup work. Its workflow is backwards from the one I know so it's like writing left handed. Works great for people that are used to it. Neither way is inherently right or wrong but switching sucks.

Back
Top Bottom