2x12 load bearing Q’s 4 countertop | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

2x12 load bearing Q’s 4 countertop

lol no I would use the steel I have and go from one wall to the other in two shots laid flat, clean up and paint the surfaces white and secure it to the quartz top with thick 2 sided super tape. The 4 inch valance should almost completely hide it if you lay it flat ways to the 4x6 profile. It would have to go to a load bearing wall anyway, if the wall wasn't load bearing before it is now.

lol no I would use the steel I have and go from one wall to the other in two shots laid flat, clean up and paint the surfaces white and secure it to the quartz top with thick 2 sided super tape. The 4 inch valance should almost completely hide it if you lay it flat ways to the 4x6 profile. It would have to go to a load bearing wall anyway, if the wall wasn't load bearing before it is now.

What a great idea. I was wondering how to fix the countertop onto it’s base without using silicone or construction glue because I may want to move in the future (fix broken window etc). Double side tape from edge to edge is perfect!?

I can build a dandy elephant crate if you ever need one.

I'll need somewhere to keep the mother-in-law as it seems LTC doesn't seem to be working out.

I kid. I am lucky and she is actually quite lovely.
Likewise. She's helping us out more than we can ever repay her. You can see how tired she is, but keeps on going. Food, babysitting, food, lots and lots of delicious food...I blame her 100% for my gut growing. Told her I wish she wasn't such a good cook so I wouldn't have to eat so much!

Let's just hope her health holds up as she's still recovering from the heart attack.

square tube is strong for compression but not great for deflection
ie: in vertical load bearing application it's great, but expensive

I'd get someone smarter than me to look at the math for 2 H beams
math geeks can look the size up on a table
set them apart at the outside of your 11 inches on substantial whatever

I'd go with 5/8 plywood on top of the steel
construction adhesive and self drilling screws into the beams

solid, and good adhesive base for the stone counter, no welding

Have you seen the quartz material, it's a solid hunk of 18% polyester resin an inch and a quarter thick, and thats before they weld a 4 inch valance on it, the plywood would just be extra weight.

Put it this way, the table sitting on steel tube that big, would be as strong as the floor under the table. if it's wood frame construction
... and it's an I beam unless you installed it wrong,

Last edited:
sure
lay stone on steel beams in a bar
what could go wrong :rolleyes:

don't know why I bother, ******* idiot

I should either quite that idiot going forward
so he can't edit his ******* idiocy
and make it less stoopid

or just arrange to get banned

Honestly I’d just call the guys supplying the granite and ask for recommendations. These guys work with granite and they’ve seen it all.

if they don’t know, they’ll know who to ask to get an answer.

square tube is strong for compression but not great for deflection
ie: in vertical load bearing application it's great, but expensive

I'd get someone smarter than me to look at the math for 2 H beams
math geeks can look the size up on a table
set them apart at the outside of your 11 inches on substantial whatever

I'd go with 5/8 plywood on top of the steel
construction adhesive and self drilling screws into the beams

solid, and good adhesive base for the stone counter, no welding

Good suggestion. I just checked the deflection calculations on that website and using 2” Steel square tubes w/0.25” walls it will deflect 0.1472” with a 600lb load on centre of tube.

Considering I’m using three parallel 2” square tubes, with 1/2” plywood the deflection would be less than 0.05” (3/64) with a 600lb load on centre. That’s more than enough I believe because most people will be 1/3 of that weight. In that case I guess it’s safe to assume I won’t get deflection at all

Attachments

• EFE1E901-E843-4E7D-A993-8462BBE9BE18.png
    EFE1E901-E843-4E7D-A993-8462BBE9BE18.png
    870.7 KB · Views: 5
Reactions: J_F
What dimensions and cross sections are used for the tracks on a four post car lift? Might give an idea of relative sturdiness.

Much better. I'd still expect the quartz to crack when someone does something dumb. With 30 lbs/ft distributed and 300lb point load in the centre (a 200 lb person climbing up will be more than 200 lbs force), deflection of your design will probably be >0.2 inches. With something that long it is conceivable that more than one person is on it at a time (staff hanging decorations, drunks, people that sit on the counter and look out etc). A steel skin over the bottom of the frame would really stiffen it up.

I haven't checked this calculator to see if it is accurate but the results pass the smell test.

Picture a 300 pound each ABBA lip sync band doing a Go-Go

"An office floor, designed according to the National Building Code of Canada (NBC) must be able to support a uniformly distributed live load of 50 ~ / ft or a concentrated load of 2000 lb distributed over an area of 25 by 25 ft."

There's your maximum load right there unless you can find a reason why the table has to support more weight then the floor it might be sitting on.

add: OP specified quartz, a man made composite material, not granite which is a natural stone.

Last edited:
Speaking of manmade composite materials, concrete is very nice and easy to work with.

round-table-standard-black.jpg

Some laying of steel bars inside the stone will be required.

Back
Top Bottom