2x12 load bearing Q’s 4 countertop | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

2x12 load bearing Q’s 4 countertop

Damn dudes, you guys brought up some excellent valid points

Guess I’ll have to shell out the extra cash for a welded custom steel base.

How is:
a rectangular box constructed of
Three 9ft 2x2 steel square tubes, 1/4” walls. 1/2” plywood laid and screwed on top (stone directly on steel would crack)

The legs will be 1.5x1.5 steel square rubes with 3/16” walls on each end.
Much better. I'd still expect the quartz to crack when someone does something dumb. With 30 lbs/ft distributed and 300lb point load in the centre (a 200 lb person climbing up will be more than 200 lbs force), deflection of your design will probably be >0.2 inches. With something that long it is conceivable that more than one person is on it at a time (staff hanging decorations, drunks, people that sit on the counter and look out etc). A steel skin over the bottom of the frame would really stiffen it up.

I haven't checked this calculator to see if it is accurate but the results pass the smell test.

Much better. I'd still expect the quartz to crack when someone does something dumb. With 30 lbs/ft distributed and 300lb point load in the centre (a 200 lb person climbing up will be more than 200 lbs force), deflection of your design will probably be >0.2 inches. With something that long it is conceivable that more than one person is on it at a time (staff hanging decorations, drunks, people that sit on the counter and look out etc). A steel skin over the bottom of the frame would really stiffen it up.

I haven't checked this calculator to see if it is accurate but the results pass the smell test.

This is eating my brain lol
How about adding a leg in the middle of the countertop (4.5ft centre), but it would be at the back of the counter against the window so that the leg does not obstruct a stool.

How about adding a leg in the middle of the countertop (4.5ft centre), but it would be at the back of the counter against the window so that the leg does not obstruct a stool.
That would help, especially if it had a bit of a bracket to extend the support toward the far edge of the shelf. Otherwise it only really helps the edge against the window.

Any chance you could just do it with a piece of angle iron? 9 X 9 inch, and bolt it to the wall? Thickness would determine the strength.

That’s actually a good idea. Only issue may be that it’s Sheetrock and no stud in that wall area to be bolted into

That would help, especially if it had a bit of a bracket to extend the support toward the far edge of the shelf. Otherwise it only really helps the edge against the window.
It cuts the effective length of the rear 2x2 in half which dramatically increases the stiffness. Even better if you can get a triangle to get some load off the front beams.

that would suck
but it is the economical solution.
or you could possibly suspend it from the ceiling.

It cuts the effective length of the rear 2x2 in half which dramatically increases the stiffness. Even better if you can get a triangle to get some load off the front beams.

Another great idea man thnx. Maybe 45 it from the front centre to the rear leg. The legs will be screwed into the ground

Damn dudes, you guys brought up some excellent valid points

Guess I’ll have to shell out the extra cash for a welded custom steel base.

How is:
a rectangular box constructed of
Three 9ft 2x2 steel square tubes, 1/4” walls. 1/2” plywood laid and screwed on top (stone directly on steel would crack)

The legs will be 1.5x1.5 steel square rubes with 3/16” walls on each end.
Rather than 9' down the middle, it might be better every 2 feet across.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Another great idea man thnx. Maybe 45 it from the front centre to the rear leg. The legs will be screwed into the ground
Anchoring the centre leg to the ground won't do very much. Your load is straight down (with a potential component out from the wall at the top). With anchors more than few feet away they won't do much.

Where is that formula for transparent aluminum when we need it.

1590691849628.pngSomething like these at each stud would also add a lot of support under the wood. You mentioned no studs in the small area, but I don't consider 9 feet to be a small area. What's holding the window up? Rather than 2 X x's use plywood sheets, 5/8 or 3/4, glued like crap and screwed together. build it up in layers to about 2 inches. That would be a lot stronger.

Trying to keep up with the postings as I type. If no studs, then extending this to the floor (maybe make the back a 2 X 2 square) would help. Every few feet as mentioned.

ew, that's not pretty.

that would suck
but it is the economical solution.
or you could possibly suspend it from the ceiling.

That would be awesome. A floating suspended from the ceiling bar countertop
View attachment 43308Something like these at each stud would also add a lot of support under the wood. You mentioned no studs in the small area, but I don't consider 9 feet to be a small area. What's holding the window up? Rather than 2 X x's use plywood sheets, 5/8 or 3/4, glued like crap and screwed together. build it up in layers to about 2 inches. That would be a lot stronger.

Trying to keep up with the postings as I type. If no studs, then extending this to the floor (maybe make the back a 2 X 2 square) would help. Every few feet as mentioned.

I thought you were refering to the walls at each end of the countertop. And the back is all window, from wall to wall. It’s a 9ft wide by 7ft high window. It has a small 1.75” wide vertical frame centre window, sticks out about 1.5” from the glass.

I thought you were refering to the walls at each end of the countertop. And the back is all window, from wall to wall. It’s a 9ft wide by 7ft high window. It has a small 1.75” wide vertical frame of the window, sticks out about 1.5” from the glass.
Don't attach it to the window mullion. They are not designed for external loading.

Was planning on just using silicone to the window mullions (left, right, and middle). The legs will be screwed into floor to prevent moving around

I thought you were refering to the walls at each end of the countertop. And the back is all window, from wall to wall. It’s a 9ft wide by 7ft high window. It has a small 1.75” wide vertical frame centre window, sticks out about 1.5” from the glass.
Aah, got it. Thought this was going just below the window. Your framework idea might be the best then. Bolt it down, but you're still free to move it if needed. Have a couple of extra verticals, perhaps lined up with the mullions for visual effect and some bracing from back to front top edge if you only put the verticals on the back.

Back
Top Bottom