23 M1 S1000RR $12000/yr | Page 5 | GTAMotorcycle.com

23 M1 S1000RR $12000/yr

The are is New York City
I checked the quote as a New Rider. 0 insured years, 25yo, no Record. Exactly the same data. As I would have filled up for Canadian Market. No change. The Basic Coverage includes 500,000 Liability. Property etc. No collision, no comprehensive.
500k liability isn't going to go far in the U.S. imo

Better pray you don't cause catastrophic injury.

500k liability isn't going to go far in the U.S. imo

Better pray you don't cause catastrophic injury.
Canada or US, you have to have 1-2 million liability imho

Probably still cheaper, but definitely need to up the coverage $$$

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

"724428924" prove you're human and not a computer bot programmatically designed to generate traffic on this forum. This has got to be a joke...bahahaha...you couldn't script a more absurd story.

Sent from my SGH-M919V using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

Hope this helps. And to the people who will still try to take the corrupt Insurance Mafia’s side GTH.

I'm not debating there's problems with our insurance system here in Ontario, but you're not comparing apples to apples.

- Like others have mentioned, $500K is a laughable amount of insurance in the USA. One serious accident that catastrophically injures another party that sues you will have you living in a box under a bridge in no time flat. Even a minor fender bender with a litigious idiot will sue you for not only the maximum your insurance will pay, but for whatever over and above that they see you have as assets - that includes retirement funds, cars/toys, etc etc. Oh, and probably your home, too.

- Just picking a random address in NYC doesn't mean you got a realistic quote compared to the next zip code. Just like the GTA has cheap areas (I live in one) and others that are stratospheric (Brampton) you may have randomly picked a lower rate area.

- Does it cover medical bills and rehab etc etc for the insured person? Nope. Even a "liability only" policy here does. A "liability only" policy in the USA however covers only and exactly that - liability only. Got in a serious wreck and spent 2-4 weeks or so in the hospital afterwards? Yeah, that policy is going to do jack **** for you since you didn't purchase actual medical coverage...just liability. Even just a few broken bones and an ambulance ride to the emergency department for some additional diagnostic tests that would be commonly run (say, an MRI if you had a serious head impact) could see you going home with over $100,000 in medical debt. Don't believe me? Read it and weep....

- Is it even an accurate quote? We all know how accurate online quote systems are....

So again, as I always say when people here try to compare our insurance to US rates....you're kidding yourself if you think it's a fair comparison.

So again, as I always say when people here try to compare our insurance to US rates....you're kidding yourself if you think it's a fair comparison.
Even if the coverage is upped to 1-2M liability and medical etc do you really think the policy is going to cost $7000 to $12000?
Fact is we get hosed here and insurance is out of control, especially for motorcycles.
When you look at what insurance costs in the UK, Australia and even the southern US, where the riding season is year round and people ride significantly more, its clear we are getting screwed.
$7000 per season here is almost like paying $12-$14000 a year in those places.
My uncle in Ireland insures 3 large displacement bikes at a cost of $350 per year total. None of this Ontario nonsense of carrying 3 liabilities for 3 bikes for one rider.

I have a perfect driving record for the past 20 years. I pay $3500 for one car and one bike. Thats what the average full time Canadian workers net pay is for a month. Ridiculous!!

Why don’t you jack it up to 2M liability, unlimited emergency/medical/hospital (since that is after all what we enjoy here) and equivalent amounts of rehab, medical support, and wage loss coverage then, and let us know how much the coverage is for the same inexperienced rider on a super sport in a high risk area.

Let us know what the quote is.

A 600cc and M2 is like driving a Corvette while you have the equivalent of a G1.
On a 1000cc, bluntly, you might not be riding for long.
Maybe it scares you away from riding. Maybe you drop it on the driveway at 0km/h and $10K+ repairs makes you give up riding.
Maybe you die...

So in the interest of keeping you around, getting to know you, riding with you in the future: grab a 300 or something, ride a lot, do MORE THAN one or two rider training courses.

It's your first bike, not your last bike.
Buy a bike that's like a used Toyota.

I had a cbr600 at 18 and a gsxr1000 at 20. Still riding that same gsxr1000 15 years later so the OP stands a chance.

There are plenty of people such as yourself, who navigated the inherent risks successfully. Unfortunately there are also plenty of people, who don't. It was terrible when I was that officer standing at the front door of a parent at 2:30 am. Certainly, it was devastating for the parent(s), but, it also is incredibly difficult on the first responders.

No one, has told the rider he can NOT have the bike, they are simply advising of the inherent dangers in having one at that age. Although, realistically, there is ZERO need for a litre bike on ANY road in Ontario. There is NO legal use of it, anywhere near it's potential. Unfortunately those who don't navigate, the dangers, are the first and the last person to realize it. By the time they realize it, it is too late.

I had a cbr600 at 18 and a gsxr1000 at 20. Still riding that same gsxr1000 15 years later so the OP stands a chance.

There are plenty of people such as yourself, who navigated the inherent risks successfully. Unfortunately there are also plenty of people, who don't. It was terrible when I was that officer standing at the front door of a parent at 2:30 am. Certainly, it was devastating for the parent(s), but, it also is incredibly difficult on the first responders.

No one, has told the rider he can NOT have the bike, they are simply advising of the inherent dangers in having one at that age. Although, realistically, there is ZERO need for a litre bike on ANY road in Ontario. There is NO legal use of it, anywhere near it's potential. Unfortunately those who don't navigate, the dangers, are the first and the last person to realize it. By the time they realize it, it is too late.

I hear you, and certainly recognize that I'd fit into the minority here. I would be interested to know the actual stats on how many people in the similar boat end up crashing and seriously injuring themselves/killing themselves vs. those unscathed. I'm sure the numbers would be drastic, especially considering how the cost of insurance has skyrocketed. I remember paying almost $3000 for my first year on the CBR when i was 18. I thought that was high back then (it was), but nothing close to the quotes an 18 year old on a 600 supersport would be getting today.

I hear you, and certainly recognize that I'd fit into the minority here. I would be interested to know the actual stats on how many people in the similar boat end up crashing and seriously injuring themselves/killing themselves vs. those unscathed. I'm sure the numbers would be drastic, especially considering how the cost of insurance has skyrocketed. I remember paying almost $3000 for my first year on the CBR when i was 18. I thought that was high back then (it was), but nothing close to the quotes an 18 year old on a 600 supersport would be getting today.
I think it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. When you are looking at $1000 a month insurance, the vast majority of people that will pay that have more money than brains. It also leads to the mentality of "if I'm going to pay this much insurance to ride a fast bike, I'm damn well going to get my money's worth". If you ride it around like a 125, you might as well save thousands and ride a 125.

I think it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. When you are looking at $1000 a month insurance, the vast majority of people that will pay that have more money than brains. It also leads to the mentality of "if I'm going to pay this much insurance to ride a fast bike, I'm damn well going to get my money's worth". If you ride it around like a 125, you might as well save thousands and ride a 125.
The majority of under 25 y/o that are riding SS and paying $5000+ per year are not the ones paying for the insurance I bet, their parents are.
When you dont pay for your **** your far less likely to care about increases in rates etc and more likely to be wreckless than someone mature who has to actually work 1-2 months just to ride a bike for 6 months.

The majority of under 25 y/o that are riding SS and paying $5000+ per year are not the ones paying for the insurance I bet, their parents are.
When you dont pay for your **** your far less likely to care about increases in rates etc and more likely to be wreckless than someone mature who has to actually work 1-2 months just to ride a bike for 6 months.

I think that assumption is likely inaccurate. I'd bet most are paying themselves. Sure they may have more disposable cash burning a hole in their pocket from living with their parents, but the majority of parents do not support their young kids riding a motorcycle, let along a race bike. "You're not getting a motorcycle while you live under this roof" is a common reaction from parents. Hell, my dad didn't even want me riding street and he got me into dirtbikes at the age of 7 in the first place. My mom and grandma's still cringe at the thought that I'm on two wheels.

My mom and grandma's still cringe at the thought that I'm on two wheels.
I was 31 when i got my licence, my mom said 'it was nice knowing you."

I was 31 when i got my licence, my mom said 'it was nice knowing you."
When I told my 73 year old dad that I was selling one of my bikes he enthusiastically asked "why not sell them both so I can sleep at night?" I'm 45 and still have to text him when I get home if he knows I'm out riding lol.

I'm 23 married with a clean history for my G license. Passed M1 a month ago and passed RTI's M1X course 2 weeks ago.
I want to ride a bit before the season is over so I couldn't wait for my M2.
Called RBC, riders plus, echelon, intact, told me they don't take bikes over 800cc. Desjardin has an age limit.
Only TD will give me a chance only if I write a paper application and mail it to them for evaluation, but they are asking for $12000/yr.

This is pretty normal. When I got my M1, was 23, asked Statefarm for a quote on a CBR600RR, $17,000/yr.

I’m 26 now, one claim, M2, clean G license, asked Mitchell and Wales for a quote on a Gsxr-600, I was quoted $326/month, which is pretty darn good.

You need to start on something small. I started on a Ninja 300. You can bet your boots you’ll get bored after the first year, but you gotta learn. There’s a lot to learn on a 300 as well.

Rev ON

Back
Top Bottom