2020 MotoGP Discussion (NO LINKS) | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

2020 MotoGP Discussion (NO LINKS)

in uncharacteristic fashion
Dorna is trying to engage their customer base o_O

10 classic races are available to watch on the house
watched a great old race from Laguna Seca yesterday
wish the premier class still raced there

I found some racing to watch with all the other racing being cancelled...

There is always WRC, I'm actually an avid rally fan, I just seldom get to watch them live. I"m actually going to watch the ECO Dakar rally and the WRC season so far (3 races, and maybe WSBK) tomorrow on my day off.

If anyone wants links, PM me and let me know.

That was intense!

I'll admit I watched it...
Amazing what we'll do to get our "fix"... kind of like junkies snorting Comet cleanser....

Looks like the Triumph engines won't be used in 2021 according to GPOne (incidentally the only site reporting this that I have found).

Going to back to the Honda CBR600. Bit of a shocker. The claim is the affordability of the engines.
What about all the research and development that went into making the new frames etc for the Triumph engines?
Makes no sense to me.

I'm sure that decision wasn't taken lightly. It does say in the article that this decision was after consulting with the teams.

This appears to be for the CEV European championship ... not the Moto2 World Championship (which is already using the Triumph engine).

I don't claim to know the details, but I suspect the situation is that the European-championship teams are using the World-championship bikes from previous years. "we already have the bikes, and we're not using them, we'd rather go another year with what we've already got that we're not using"

I'm sure that decision wasn't taken lightly. It does say in the article that this decision was after consulting with the teams.

This appears to be for the CEV European championship ... not the Moto2 World Championship (which is already using the Triumph engine).

I don't claim to know the details, but I suspect the situation is that the European-championship teams are using the World-championship bikes from previous years. "we already have the bikes, and we're not using them, we'd rather go another year with what we've already got that we're not using"

I don't have the link handy admittedly, but yes, there was a line in the article that stated that a lot of the moto2 (and moto3) bikes were essentially 'hand me downs' from moto2 world championships. There must be a glut now of moto2 frames fitted for the honda so it makes good sense to keep using the 600cc motors for the foreseeable future.

im kind of happy to see ktm and tech3 putting serious effort into the moto 3 class. (edit-tech 3 is leaving moto2)

watching gp racing? its motogp, moto3, and then moto2 for my viewing pleasure.

Last edited:
watching gp racing? its motogp, moto3, and then moto2 for my viewing pleasure.

About the same for me: Moto 3, MotoGP, Online Race with MotoGP riders, and then somewhere Moto2. Hell, I can go back 4 seasons and pretend its all new, as it is to me anyhow.

It's hard for me to admit, and maybe its the lack of racing doing my head in but I think the online races are actually quite funny with all the banter between them and seeing them not taking it particularly serious. Taka was trolling them hard with those late lunges and crazy maneuvers and having a laugh the entire time. The way the bike flew into the grandstands was priceless.

Marc as competitive as he is took issue with it initially in the last race, as did Alex, but ultimately laughed it off calling for race direction and then saying they all needed to have a meeting with HRC and Ta-kamikaze. I had my doubts and thought MAYBE we might see some races this year, but now I'm convinced we won't... so why doesn't Dorna get that company that makes those VR Motorcycle simulators for games on board as a sponsor and hand them out to these guys so they can at least get some seat time this year and see where that takes us. Obviously, not for an actual title, but at least for fun.

Simulators:

I'd actually really like one of those if the price was more accessible for a laugh during the off-season, so maybe mass producing them for a wider audience would make it possible. As it stands I have a 600cc track bike, a spare chassis, and a Fireblade for what still cost less than that setup (ok maybe not with gear, maintenance and stuff but solely equipment wise):

Final product looking something like this:

Economies of scale can work in our favour if it happens and all those engineers and mechanics must be bored out of their heads by now wantting to tinker on something!

kinda big news. I hope petrucci still has a ride. I would miss him from the motogp grid.

It's about time, Petrux is a fan favorite but I didn't see the aggression he had on the Pramac this year to justify his seat either. His one off victory at Mugello notwithstanding, of course. Dovi is done, he doesn't have it in him to be on what I personally think is the best bike on the entire grid and after so many chances I think it's time he thinks seriously about retirement.

That documentary of his on Red Bull was kind of telling he has had enough of this Industry and the toll it takes on him may be too much at his age; he was a very good racer and the only one to actually take the fight to Marc in recent History, but he's just not a champion.

JLO returning to Ducati with Miller would be awesome in a way, but I'd rather see the his input at Yamaha more than him being competitive again, to be honest. A strong Yamaha with Fabio and Vinales, and hopefully Mir soon, would be the best prospect for the future. I could see Mav moving to Ducati after his contract is up as that bike suits his style way more than the Yamaha.

Last edited:
That documentary of his on Red Bull was kind of telling he has had enough of this Industry and the toll it takes on him may be too much at his age; he was a very good racer and the only one to actually take the fight to Marc in recent History, but he's just not a champion.

Disagree. He's a fantastic rider that really thinks during the races. If he's out front, he can control the pace exceptionally well.
Even you mentioned it - he's the only one who can take it to Marc Marquez at all - nobody else in the field has the ability to do so on a regular basis.

If he switches to KTM, which has been vaguely rumoured, it will be as a #1 rider, but main focus will be developing the bike for the next generation... That's purely my opinion, but it has some merit.

Edit - added KTM bit.

Even you mentioned it - he's the only one who can take it to Marc Marquez at all - nobody else in the field has the ability to do so on a regular basis.

Yeah, but that hasn't turned into championships, and after being with the Team since 2014. I'm not saying he isn't good, its just that he cannot beat Marc and I think Ducati realize its time to start cleaning house with younger and hungrier talent.

And to be fair, Dovi is younger than I am so it feels odd calling someone younger than me old. Its just that in this ever evolving sport 34 is a lost cause if you haven't secured at least one title on that bike. Again, just my opinion, but its hard to see KTM letting Pol, or even Binder, take a back seat to Andrea at this point. He had a good run and gave us a lot of awesome final lap races but its time to make way for the next generation.

.....Again, just my opinion, but its hard to see KTM letting Pol, or even Binder, take a back seat to Andrea at this point. He had a good run and gave us a lot of awesome final lap races but its time to make way for the next generation.

Well, if that's the case, may as well clear out 80% of the MotoGP racers out there. Both Espargaro's, Petrucci, Nakagami, Crutchlow, Rossi, Vinales, Morbidelli, Miller, Bagnaia, Zarco, Rabat, Lecuono, Oliveria....

None of those riders will regularly challenge Marquez. I left a few younger riders off the list as they show potential for the future. Chances of unseating Marquez are pretty much zero.

Well, if that's the case, may as well clear out 80% of the MotoGP racers out there. Both Espargaro's, Petrucci, Nakagami, Crutchlow, Rossi, Vinales, Morbidelli, Miller, Bagnaia, Zarco, Rabat, Lecuono, Oliveria....

None of those riders will regularly challenge Marquez. I left a few younger riders off the list as they show potential for the future. Chances of unseating Marquez are pretty much zero.

Espargro brothers are essentially glorified test riders for the factory, Nakagami has HRC backing and can pick up decent points for a satellite team when Crashlow... well crashes. Maverick has actually been the only one to show the ability to fight Marc (aside from Dovi) when the Yamaha is setup correctly. Miller is a potential prospect worth the factory seat as seen with this signing. It's do or die for Zarco, especially after the KTM thing going down the way it did. And Iker and Bagnaia were rookies, as was Olivera last year. Not everyone will be like Marc and win the title in their opening season.

But, I don't entirely disagree with the rest moving on to other roles, though.

Chances of unseating Marquez are pretty much zero.

As a racing fan first and Marquez fan second: I really hope you're wrong. I think adversity brings the best out of Marc (Argentina 18, Mugello 19) and I think their is still more to be seen from him. He just needs real competition, seeing him essentially go out there and race himself and dominate the series is losing its appeal. 2019 was amazing and equally dull for the same reason.

I still think a JLO developed Yamaha with Mav and Fabio has a good chance of doing it. Apparently Dorna is working with the Spanish government to make the races happen so who knows what may occur after all:

They got rid of Petrux, and stuck with Dovi. I mean its not a surprise,and is rather logical iven Dovi's record and time on that bike, but in typical Ducati management fashion a disappointment none-the less:

Last edited:
If Aprillia are indeed considering Petrucci I'd rather see him there over Iannone. Time for Iannone and the Espargro's to leave imo.

I
Espargro brothers are essentially glorified test riders for the factory, Nakagami has HRC backing and can pick up decent points for a satellite team when Crashlow... well crashes. Maverick has actually been the only one to show the ability to fight Marc (aside from Dovi) when the Yamaha is setup correctly. Miller is a potential prospect worth the factory seat as seen with this signing. It's do or die for Zarco, especially after the KTM thing going down the way it did. And Iker and Bagnaia were rookies, as was Olivera last year. Not everyone will be like Marc and win the title in their opening season.

But, I don't entirely disagree with the rest moving on to other roles, though.

As a racing fan first and Marquez fan second: I really hope you're wrong. I think adversity brings the best out of Marc (Argentina 18, Mugello 19) and I think their is still more to be seen from him. He just needs real competition, seeing him essentially go out there and race himself and dominate the series is losing its appeal. 2019 was amazing and equally dull for the same reason.

I still think a JLO developed Yamaha with Mav and Fabio has a good chance of doing it. Apparently Dorna is working with the Spanish government to make the races happen so who knows what may occur after all:

They got rid of Petrux, and stuck with Dovi. I mean its not a surprise,and is rather logical iven Dovi's record and time on that bike, but in typical Ducati management fashion a disappointment none-the less:

[/QUOTE
I don't know; I think rins and quartararo both have the potential to upset MM. I think they're both just as capable as maverick, maybe even more so.

petrucci finished pretty good in 2019. and ended the season ahead of miller. shrug. but I think petrucci's potential is less than the^ formerly mentioned 3 riders..

I don't know; I think rins and quartararo both have the potential to upset MM. I think they're both just as capable as maverick, maybe even more so.

petrucci finished pretty good in 2019. and ended the season ahead of miller. shrug. but I think petrucci's potential is less than the^ formerly mentioned 3 riders..

Your post got cut-off and included in my quote, so I re-posted it for you.

Really? Maverick has actually led a Motogp championship before and got conseqcutive wins against Rossi, Dovi and Marc in 2017. Granted, the HRC was having a ton of acceleration and floating feeling problems, but with JLO's input coming back to Yamaha the bike and now with his position firmly understood to be Team leader I think we could have seen a repeat of that this season.

Rins is a really talented rider, its just that the Suzuki doesn't have the power or acceleration to keep up at most tracks with HRC or Ducati, which is what made RIn's last corner win against Marc so good. Petrux is much like Baz, his frame just dones't suit what is essentially a midget racing series without some EXTREME body alternations and he will only ever be able to come top 5 in the best case scenario given how much talent is on the grid.

I like Petrux, he is super aggressive, especially back in the Parmac days and his encounters with Dovi and Marc at Mugello were an example of what he is like but its just not possible to realistically fight for titles in this era. I agree, Miller to Works team so soon, especially having a full Factory bike, makes no real sense based on just one season. Ducati Management really has itself to blame for not sticking it out with JLO, all that money and potential gone because of petty drama and politics. It makes me glad Stoner left when he did. Apparently, Casey is also super ill these days, I hope he's better now as nerve pain is horrible thing:

Also, last week's Virtual race was pretty awesome.

I like how Nakagami keeps living up to the Kamikaze moniker as he trolled them hard this time wheeling all the way through the front of the pack and leading the race for as long as he had, while everyone else took it way too seriously. JLO used to scream the same thing he said after his crashes in his first year with Ducati as he did when Taka knocked him off the bike on the opening lap. It was pretty nostalgic to see him in Yamaha leathers and his X helmet coming back up the pack. Also, Tito is actually an incredibly funny guy, I would have never realized that were not for these virtual races.

Some notable stories:

Pol replaces Alex Marquez at HRC:

Jorge Martin to join Parmac in 2021:

It is June so Silly season is normally in full swing by now, but it just doesn't seem real given this pandemic situation. Ianone needs to get his appeal situation resolved otherwsie he may end up in WSBK or BSB if thing continue this way.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom