2020 MotoGP Discussion (NO LINKS) | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

2020 MotoGP Discussion (NO LINKS)

Their ban is on large "indoor" public gatherings. France isn't the only country to have done this. The Geneva Motor Show (Switzerland) has been cancelled because of this. It's screwing up a lot of other sporting events, too.

Theoretically the ban on large "indoor" public gatherings shouldn't affect outdoor events (includes MotoGP and WorldSBK). The thing that could trip them up are government-imposed travel restrictions like those that Qatar has imposed.

I'm watching with interest, because I've already got travel arrangements bought and paid for, for WorldSBK Round 3 in Spain and MotoGP round 3 (which will now be round 2) at COTA. My flight to Spain has a stopover in France.

Their ban is on large "indoor" public gatherings. France isn't the only country to have done this. The Geneva Motor Show (Switzerland) has been cancelled because of this. It's screwing up a lot of other sporting events, too.

Theoretically the ban on large "indoor" public gatherings shouldn't affect outdoor events (includes MotoGP and WorldSBK). The thing that could trip them up are government-imposed travel restrictions like those that Qatar has imposed.

I'm watching with interest, because I've already got travel arrangements bought and paid for, for WorldSBK Round 3 in Spain and MotoGP round 3 (which will now be round 2) at COTA. My flight to Spain has a stopover in France.

I'm going to be at COTA as well and It's now round 1 if it happens.

If the organisers are smart, they'll anticipate the quarantine periods and get everyone in place 2 weeks ahead of time. Can't do that for Qatar (WSBK can't either) because it's already inside 2 weeks.

If the organisers are smart, they'll anticipate the quarantine periods and get everyone in place 2 weeks ahead of time. Can't do that for Qatar (WSBK can't either) because it's already inside 2 weeks.
You know that's a brilliant idea and I am surprised the organisers haven't thought of it yet

They should cancel moto2 and moto3 in Qatar and move everyone to Thailand this weekend

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Thailand is probably too close to ground zero of the coronavirus scare for comfort, even though it appears that the country itself has not had many cases. Qatar doesn't have many cases, either. Seems more an issue of certain countries pre-emptively cutting off travellers coming from affected areas.

I did some digging and found this: https://www.thelocal.it/20200303/map-which-parts-of-italy-are-affected-by-coronavirus-outbreak

The worst-hit area of Italy is Lombardy. This is basically Milan and surrounding area extending north to the Swiss border.

The second-worst hit area is Emilia-Romagna. That includes Modena (home of Ferrari) and Bologna (home of Ducati). It extends east to the sea, and includes Ravenna and Rimini. And it includes racetracks: Imola, Misano. Mugello is about 10 km south of the boundary.

That Ferrari is in that area is not good for Formula 1 in general. That Ducati is in that area is not good for MotoGP or WorldSBK in general.

The first MotoGP round that is in Italy is at Mugello on 31 May. Almost 3 months out. The next MotoGP round that is in Italy is not until September at Misano. Hopefully this virus will have blown over by then.

WorldSBK is scheduled for Imola 08-10 May. 2 months from now. Then they're at Misano mid-June, 3 and a bit months out.

Evidently Italy has about 10 towns quarantined to try to contain this.

They are canceling big soccer/football games over there right now Juventus vs Ac Milan game just got scratched. Anything in the North looks like a no go, games inthe south still going ahead. Move the Italian rounds to Donnigton... one could dream.

The worst-hit area of Italy is Lombardy. This is basically Milan and surrounding area extending north to the Swiss border.

That makes sense, there is a massive Asian (primarily Chinese) population in the area, many of whom are in the Fashion Industry and manufacturing--lots of illegal workers are smuggled into the area. ER is a surprise, given how homogeneous that population is, its touristy but outside of that its not just Italian but its staunchly Communist with a lot of baggage left over from the Partisan era, so it discourages many Italians from other regions to stay for very long. I lived and worked in Maranello and Modena and outside of motorsports stuff its just a lot of Agriculture workers and artisan cheese, vinegar, Lambrusco makers and such for the most part.

Interesting to see how this all develops, barring teams and staff from Italy in MotoGP and F1 races seems like this year is scrapped.

Odd to see what happens with Dorna with just Moto2/3 until Austin, which given San Antonio's state of emergency may also get cancelled:

New MotoGP calendar released, they have a provision to keep all rounds (except Qatar) and swapping Thailand and Aragon, but I still think Austin looks to be on the cusp of getting the Axe given how things have developed. SXSW looks to still be going forward, but may companies are already pulling out amidst how the CoronaVirus out break was handled in Texas.

Last edited:
Has anyone tried Motorsport.tv as they have WSBK and MotoGP races for only $4.99 usd per month. A lot cheaper than MotoGP video pass at 19.99 Euros per month.
I emailed them exactly for this reason but they do not have the rights to stream MotoGP or F1. So they just have some random Videos up behind the paywall of those series. They do have WSBK right so you will get live and on demand races. No MotoGP, they shouldn't advertise it like that

so is Joe Roberts related to Kenny?
he took moto2 pole in Qatar

I asked google
they wanted to know if I was asking
if Joe Roberts was related to Kenny Rogers
apparently he is not

so is Joe Roberts related to Kenny?
he took moto2 pole in Qatar

I asked google
they wanted to know if I was asking
if Joe Roberts was related to Kenny Rogers
apparently he is not

No he’s not related to Kenny Roberts either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: J_F
Ugh. This coronavirus is trouble. I understand why the Italian government has to do this, but it still sucks.

Valentino Rossi is from Tavullia, Pesano and Urbino - one of the affected areas. Means he can neither leave if he's home or enter if he's not.

Ducati's home base, Bologna, is not in the affected areas but the next region to the west, Modena, is one of them. It's about 10 km from Borgo Panigale to the eastern boundary of Modena. I'm sure this will affect at least some people who work there.

The travel ban expires at the end of March - just before COTA MotoGP. But Austin has its own coronavirus troubles.

Reactions: J_F
saw yesterday that the NBA contacted all the teams
told them to start working out the logistics for games with no fans or media
revenue is going to take a beating

Travel bans are going to be extended if thing don't turn around real quick I think this will be a lost year in many ways. might as well call any large events off happening this year would be surprised if even RFS isn't cancelled soon.

Sent from my moto g(7) plus using Tapatalk

I have Austin tickets. what i expect will happen is that the race will get postponed and possibly cancelled.

I will probably still go to Austin as the flight is not likely to get cancelled. However, if they postpone the race, i am unlikely to get my ticket cost back, and will possibly go down again.

Insane to travel to the USA right now they are in the middle of a huge outbreak and it will be worse by the end of the week. They are just starting to test and have cases in almost every state now.

Sent from my moto g(7) plus using Tapatalk

Sometimes the news and the media make it sound worse. I booked a trip to europe and Hopefully by July i'm good to go... as right no planes to Milan;-(

I have Austin tickets. what i expect will happen is that the race will get postponed and possibly cancelled.

I will probably still go to Austin as the flight is not likely to get cancelled. However, if they postpone the race, i am unlikely to get my ticket cost back, and will possibly go down again.

Agreed. I was in TX last month for work related stuff, I was mainly in San Antonio (where the CDC let go those COVID19 positive patients returning from Hubei at the Mall) and things took nearly 3-4 weeks to come public that it was a hotspot after only reporting one case on the 15th. I ended up getting mildly sick from that trip, but got better in a few days after some rest. It wasn't until my other colleagues came back to the office from that trip in late Feb that I got hit hard--bad cough, sinus infection, respiratory issues etc...

I'm starting to get over what it was (I'm not sure if its CoVID19), still congested with a mild cough, but I think a lot if under-reporting is going on and this week is when a lot of the testing is going to expose findings like in Italy and possibly even S. Korea.

I wouldn't risk going to TX right now if you can avoid it if you value your health. I'd just eat the costs in order to avoid feeling like I have for the past 3 weeks.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom